geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby geron » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:41 am

That is why a single skin hibrid (water relaunchable) with grate upwind and wind range is THE kite to aim for.,,

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:21 am

I've not dropped the kite all season, last year I did a couple of times. I don't think I improved flying it, but on a foil you fly it higher in the window and less powered so you will simply not crash it as quick. I've also not used my 11 as much, that is the most likely to hit the water due to the weight and slow turning in light wind.

In short, it's no longer an issue for me. On a surfboard trying to crank upwind kite skimming the water or looping low for power you could easily make mistakes. Not anymore. I'm much more confident going out to sea on my foil with the Peak now.

For foiling there is very little I would change.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 am) • Oldman_Dave (Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:08 am)
Rating: 6.06%

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 am

geron wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:41 am
That is why a single skin hibrid (water relaunchable) with grate upwind and wind range is THE kite to aim for.,,
The better it goes upwind, the worse it will drift. Buy a Soul or a Spirit if you want upwind and range.

Closed cells will make it more expensive, heavier, and more susceptible to damage from crashes. Again, there are kites that already fill that niche, but they don't have the drift or the turning speed of the Peak.

I'm riding my Peaks (3,4,5) with an Armstrong HA925. This wing has the lift of a medium/large low aspect foil and the drag of a small kite foil. This means I can smash upwind even when underpowered and still be comfortable in significant gusts (because I'm on a small kite to start with, and the foil can go downwind incredibly fast to relieve apparent wind). Riding the right foil(s) with your Peaks will do a lot to increase range and upwind ability.
These users thanked the author djdojo for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:29 pm) • Schietwedder (Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:36 pm) • geron (Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:12 pm

djdojo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 am
Riding the right foil(s) with your Peaks will do a lot to increase range and upwind ability.
I agree with you, specially in the second part (a good hydrofoil will increase wind range) for single skin kites. The foil that I am using now is the W790 from moses. I bought the W1000 also but have not used it since I first tried it; I got the two wings for this reason about a year ago and the W790 was eassier to ride. I have become a bit better hydrofoiler in this year so, I will try the W1000 again, maybe I will find what you have (with the HA925 which looks very similar to the W1000)

When you increase wind range (and specially low end) for single skins, you can use smaller kites; and smaller kites have more wind range.
Since ss kites can fly in very low wind speed; the best hydrofoil for me would be the one that I can use with the smallest kites. With the Peaks, the lowest wind range (for me) is the wind at which I can get out of the water and start; so far, this has been with the W790
Last edited by geron on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:32 pm

That's interesting. So what kind of foil would give a big windrange? I ride a 1250cm wing but feel overpowered pretty fast. At 25 knots it has a lot of lift and I sometimes cannot keep it down. Maybe I just need to shift my mast forward but I can find little useful info on mast position.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:25 pm

ieism wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:32 pm
That's interesting. So what kind of foil would give a big windrange? I ride a 1250cm wing but feel overpowered pretty fast. At 25 knots it has a lot of lift and I sometimes cannot keep it down. Maybe I just need to shift my mast forward but I can find little useful info on mast position.

In 25 knots it is still possible to ride with a 3 m2 Peak4 yes, but you will be too powered from now IMO.

Using a smaller or faster wing, does not really help - as you will ride faster thus get more power in the kite (but it helps that you dont get so much wing lift), so using a big wing will give more range IMO.
And you have to shift your mast rearward if you want the wing to stay down.

Using a wing not too low aspect, can give you even more range with a Peak kite, it turns a bit slower but glides better so sometimes nice.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
ieism (Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:43 pm

djdojo wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 am

(because I'm on a small kite to start with, and the foil can go downwind incredibly fast to relieve apparent wind).
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:25 pm
Using a wing not too low aspect, can give you even more range with a Peak kite, it turns a bit slower but glides better so sometimes nice.
8) Peter

I am not sure if a high aspect wing would be easier to go downwind in high winds; if you are a bit overpowered... and a fast wing...? sounds like the wind range in downwinds might be less in the high end?
Maybe like Peter sais "a not too low aspect wing" might be best? (but also not too high aspect?)

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 pm

High aspect pumping wings work great with the peaks in swell, and allow you to use a smaller sized kite. I have used my Axis 1010 with a 3m peak in up to 40 knots, and over foiling hasn't been an issue. The so called 'surf' foil wings usually have a low-mid aspect with a very thick profile, which simply creates drag, making them very inefficient (ruining your glide when the kite is not powered) and the thickness generates too much lift with higher speeds. I've just moved to an Axis ART 999 which is 10:1 aspect, 1000 cm2, very thin, and it's brilliant with the peaks. The 999 with ultrashort fuse turns well, pumps amazingly, goes fast upwind because it's so efficient and slippery, but can still slow down and ride with the energy of swell when you're heading downwind and the kite is barely powering you. The high aspect wings generate lift more efficiently at low speed, so they extend the low end of the peaks a lot.
These users thanked the author jatem for the post:
geron (Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:40 pm

jatem wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:10 pm
I've just moved to an Axis ART 999 which is 10:1 aspect, 1000 cm2, very thin, and it's brilliant with the peaks. The 999 with ultrashort fuse turns well, pumps amazingly, goes fast upwind because it's so efficient and slippery, but can still slow down and ride with the energy of swell when you're heading downwind and the kite is barely powering you. The high aspect wings generate lift more efficiently at low speed, so they extend the low end of the peaks a lot.
Interesting insights and 100% agree that the 3m Peak4 is a must have for riding the big swell you get with high wind speeds. If you want to take it to the next level with a small Peaks in high wind consider monowings. We’ve had some great results with the radical rethink below of a traditional foil and found no stab + no fuse = a mind blowing ride in big swell. The future of foiling... I :D

Rudy @TritonFoils
https://www.tritonfoils.com/
Attachments
2D43F62C-734E-4CC0-A619-8C426AC9396A.jpeg

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:31 am

Are you using a peak in that video, you mention you rarely use the 4m kite?

Return to “Foil Kites”