Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:30 pm

I have the Peak 13 and I can foil from 6 knots on a big wing, but need 7 knots to go upwind (82 kg). As others already said, I also prefer it over the Soul. For me the Soul is terrible for a beginner on a foil, especially strapless. Totally reluctant to turn, no constant power delivery, power comes with too much delay, and then it comes with as such a spike that it pulls me off. On TT the Soul is grand.
Eh different strokes for different folks. I ride exclusively strapless and love my Souls for hydrofoiling especially the 6m. I like the grunt, it allows me to get away with a lot more and I can basically stop and stay on foil. I prefer my 6m much more than my Peak4 3m and only really pull out the peak if I want to give a little show or its really nuking. The timing does take a little bit of time to get use to but once you have it, it’s golden. If you want easy super low wind foiling though, I’d pick the Peak4 13m over the Soul 15m if you only hydrofoil. If you also twintip, the Soul will be more useable.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm

Guys,

I need some advice about how to ride a wave on Peak4 8m², wind about 11 to 14 knots.

Everytime i try a cutback (1 Part) i slack the line and my Peak fall . When this is happen to me im riding toeside and in front of the wave, when im near to the wave i do de turn , feel the wave pushing me and the line slacking, in this move i dont input any command on the control bar. What im doing wrong?

When i ride the wave coming for its back i dont have this issue.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:10 pm

I don’t even have a peak but it seems like a cutback from toeside is “automatically” sharper than the other way.
Regardless of kite, if too much slack is happening, you need to do something to prevent it before the cutback - move the kite or fly it in a different spot in the window.
Or make your cut more mellow...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 pm

If your riding ground swell, I can imagine it's easy to outrun even a Peak in 11 knots.

My biggest is the 5m and as long as it's positioned deep in the window, it drifts without input. This is in 11+ knots as there is no ground swell here and to be truthful, waves only begin to form in 12+ knots. Even a Peak can fold in light wind if it's out at the windows edge and I cut straight downwind abandoning it there. Try keeping the kite deep in the window by stalling it back or have it somewhere high in the window when you cut back.

If your outrunning a Peak in light winds, you can try doing what every LEI rider does when riding waves in light wind, which is pull on the back hand before you cut back. This keeps the kite deeper in the window and generally turning toward zenith at the moment of least line tension so it drifts most effectively.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:09 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 pm
Tomlutz wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:30 pm

I have the Peak 13 and I can foil from 6 knots on a big wing, but need 7 knots to go upwind (82 kg). As others already said, I also prefer it over the Soul. For me the Soul is terrible for a beginner on a foil, especially strapless. Totally reluctant to turn, no constant power delivery, power comes with too much delay, and then it comes with as such a spike that it pulls me off. On TT the Soul is grand.
Eh different strokes for different folks. ...
Only on first sight we disagree. I was talking about the 12m Soul. I also have the 8m Soul and it turns much better, I actually like it not only on TT, but also on hydrofoil.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:58 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:08 pm
If your riding ground swell, I can imagine it's easy to outrun even a Peak in 11 knots.

My biggest is the 5m and as long as it's positioned deep in the window, it drifts without input. This is in 11+ knots as there is no ground swell here and to be truthful, waves only begin to form in 12+ knots. Even a Peak can fold in light wind if it's out at the windows edge and I cut straight downwind abandoning it there. Try keeping the kite deep in the window by stalling it back or have it somewhere high in the window when you cut back.

If your outrunning a Peak in light winds, you can try doing what every LEI rider does when riding waves in light wind, which is pull on the back hand before you cut back. This keeps the kite deeper in the window and generally turning toward zenith at the moment of least line tension so it drifts most effectively.
JumptheShark,
When you say " stalling it back "you mean pull both comand line ? And high in the window is 12h?
I will try. Is there any tutorial showing how to ride a wave on kite foil? :thumb:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:53 am

Yup, sheet in hard and the kite will sit deeper. When the kite is deep in the window more of the canopy is exposed to the wind and it will drift more readily than if it’s at the window’s edge where just the Leading edge profile is facing the wind.

And yes, zenith, 12, noon, are all the same, but when I say high in the window I don’t necessarily mean all the way up to 12. Again, deeper in the window faces more canopy to the wind.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 am

Try down looping it next time you go for the cutback. I usually send the Peak into a few loops when carving downwind fast on swell. It might help it keep shape, or maybe I just do it because the kite is so much fun to fly.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 pm)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:03 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm
I need some advice about how to ride a wave on Peak4 8m², wind about 11 to 14 knots.
I ride my 5m in those wind ranges and when the swell is going the same direction as the wind you'll have to be looping the kite as you ride the waves downwind.

At 7:50 in this video you'll see the kind of flying you need to do, but this is in about 10 knots. It does depend on the speed of your waves too though, I'm just riding onshore wind swell here.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
LeoLeal (Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 pm)

Simair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Simair » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm

About the 5m.
Would use it for hydrofoil but was thinking..
Would it work on a waveboard in 30+ knots?
Use it to take you to the wave for some wave shredding as it has such a good drift?

Return to “Foil Kites”