jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Check the length of the B-safe span line from tip to tip along the B cascade. I as well as others have had to lengthen this line from what came stock. There is a line plan with measurements available from the flysurfer website.

Mine was so short it visibly kinked the wingtips a bit (worse on one side) and the kite did not produce power the way I expected. I used some of the extra line supplied with the kite in the repair kit to fashion a longer span line and with a bit of higher wind use, everything stretched out properly and it works perfectly now.

Good luck.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
tomi3000 (Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomi3000
Medium Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak

Postby tomi3000 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:27 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Check the length of the B-safe span line from tip to tip along the B cascade. I as well as others have had to lengthen this line from what came stock. There is a line plan with measurements available from the flysurfer website.

Mine was so short it visibly kinked the wingtips a bit (worse on one side) and the kite did not produce power the way I expected. I used some of the extra line supplied with the kite in the repair kit to fashion a longer span line and with a bit of higher wind use, everything stretched out properly and it works perfectly now.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip! I checked the lenght of B safety line and you were correct. Two B-Safe1 lines were 1cm short each and B-Safe2 was 2cm shorter. I have now installed an 5cm extension and hopefully this will do the trick. When I was flying the 6m ppreviously it felt like I was choking it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:01 pm

I am pretty sure it is not the b-safe line that chokes it, but you :wink:

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2411206 - it should have been in the foil kite forum but oddly started in the kitesurfing forum.

IMO it is a mental thing, if you can see the kinking tips and know its wrong, nothing will work, not even if one can not feel any difference if not knowing :rollgrin:
Just enjoy you have a clean kite now, with a longer and correct b-safe line :thumb:

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:16 pm

The ideal foiling range for the 6 is pretty light wind. When fresh from the factory that wind might not really be enough to properly bed the kite in completely or quickly. I would fly any fresh 6m or bigger in a bit higher wind on land and really whip it around for a while. All of my new peaks improved with a bit of use.

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:19 am

Chiming in on a few recent posts.

I ride my 3m on 12m lines and I'm comfy on it up to 26-28 knots. At that point I can easily jump onto my Cloud D 2.8 on 16m lines which gets me comfortably up to 35 knots. (82kg)

I've removed the b-safe lines and the webbing and stainless rings that they run through from all my Peaks (3,4,5). IMO the canopies open up and fill out better without tension on the b-safe line and the spanwise crease that runs parallel to it flattens out with less load. As with many others, I don't ride at high loads and I switch down once there's more than occasional fluttering. I can't comment on the absence of b-safe line for overpowered riding but for myself, it's all positive.

My local can't order more Peak 4s so I'm guessing the Peak 5 is nearly ready!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Just a bit of nit-picking here, and I'm sure I'll get some flack for this.

Really, I could care less what color my kites are, but I hate the fact that the closely-sized peaks are the same color.

I sometimes have a hard time telling the difference between, for example, the 5 and 8 meter when they are both wrapped up.

Now I got the 6 meter and it is the same color as those other two, and the way I pack my kites I have to completely unwrap them to read the size printed on the wing-tips.

Additionally, if I show up at the beach and see one or two of my friends riding peaks, I frequently have a hard time guessing just which size they are on.

... Nit-picking, I know... and there are obvious but inconvenient solutions, so it would be nice if the close sizes were separated by being different colors, or at least had the size printed on the back near the center...

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Hey Trent,

I just wrote the size on the bags with a ball point pen on the white lettering. That makes it easy to identify my 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 8 peaks. It certainly doesn’t help distinguish between sizes when the kites are flying though.
These users thanked the author loco4viento for the post:
Trent hink (Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:28 pm

I dont care about the colour of the bag, just write the size on each bag.

But I hate that the kite sizes does not have different colours, so I am just opposite of you Trent - I care a lot about the colour of the kites.

Both for being able to see which size others are using when out, or reverse, they can see which size I am on when they arrive.

The pleasure of changing one size up, or down, and it is a different colour, feels good - I dont know why, but that is the way I feel :rollgrin:

With LEI kites, I would never buy two kites same colour close in size, if there are other colours available (I dont dislike)

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Trent hink (Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:50 pm) • geron (Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Yeah, easy solution, and one I've thought about, but frequently I get my kites a bit damp as I am packing them up, so I rarely put them in the bag right away.
loco4viento wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:36 pm
Hey Trent,

I just wrote the size on the bags with a ball point pen on the white lettering. That makes it easy to identify my 3 vs 4 and 5 vs 8 peaks. It certainly doesn’t help distinguish between sizes when the kites are flying though.

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m

Postby Kiterdoug » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Can anyone recommend where to get a bridle line replaced on a Peak 4? Also I heard the new Peaks are going to be released in December.

Return to “Foil Kites”