Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby bitxopalo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 pm

Thats a pity... Never notice that failure on my peaks...Maybe you can remove the sand and the old glue (half dryer and scrapper), and reglue it again... Task for no-wind days.

I have Just used my 3m three times... Wind here is not very consistent... So I would say 15-25 knot... but Just a pleasure to use such a tiny kite. At 15 knot no problem working the kite and looping sometimes, 25 knots really well powered and upwind better than my 5 meter. I ride on 17m lines. (20 with the 5m).

Is very different than the 5 m, very fast and stalls more abrupt but easy once a pair of sessions.
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
nayy (Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm

nayy wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:09 am
Flyboy wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:22 pm

Where the hell did you find a 3m Peak 4?
second hand... and I have it... but I think there is a slight problem with this kite that I bought 'in very good shape'... it looked good on the pictures untill I saw it...

maybe somebody can give his thoughts if another peak owner has ever seen this ?
my peak4 had more than 25 sessions and I'm the second owner, so the kite has much more session and not one patch is showing this phenomenon...

https://youtu.be/dQFwH3-e_f0
https://youtu.be/vDjq59Hh-ZI

Not so happy,

Nayy
Just dragged out my frequently used 3m Peak4 to look at the areas you described. Didn't have the glued patches detaching like yours.
I think the previous owner/user of your kite has a different concept of what "in very good shape" means :roll:

The kite may have been used frequently on the beach for teaching kite flying with lots of crashing into the sand. It may also have been left flapping for hours on the beach when not being used, which is not good for any kite as it will also weaken the fabric not to mention UV damage for long periods in the sun. These things could cause the problem and long periods in a hot car can also weaken stuck on on patches.

With second hand gear it's a case of buyer beware especially when you can't look at the kite before you buy. However on the positive side the patches which have become unstuck are mainly to protect the kite fabric from the ends of the plastic stiffeners. Even unstuck there is still protection. The critical areas of stress are really the bridle attachment points which I assume are in good condition?

By the way I still have a couple of new 3m Peak4 kites in stock if required :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
nayy (Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:02 pm)

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:14 pm

[/quote]

Just dragged out my frequently used 3m Peak4 to look at the areas you described. Didn't have the glued patches detaching like yours.
I think the previous owner/user of your kite has a different concept of what "in very good shape" means :roll:

The kite may have been used frequently on the beach for teaching kite flying with lots of crashing into the sand. It may also have been left flapping for hours on the beach when not being used, which is not good for any kite as it will also weaken the fabric not to mention UV damage for long periods in the sun. These things could cause the problem and long periods in a hot car can also weaken stuck on on patches.

With second hand gear it's a case of buyer beware especially when you can't look at the kite before you buy. However on the positive side the patches which have become unstuck are mainly to protect the kite fabric from the ends of the plastic stiffeners. Even unstuck there is still protection. The critical areas of stress are really the bridle attachment points which I assume are in good condition?

By the way I still have a couple of new 3m Peak4 kites in stock if required :D
[/quote]

thx for checking !
a friend just checked his 50+ session peak4 5m²... only 1 patch is unglued a few mm... This is not normal on my kite... 90% is partially unglued and full of sand.

i'll try to send the kite back to the seller, his discription does not match with what he sold (kite almost as new, I paid waaay to much)... according to him this is no big deal, and the kite can be used as such... yeah right... it's like selling a scratched car with a broken window and asking new price because it has only 10000km.

Bridle and attachment points and clothing look ok... and is like I saw on the pictures he sent me... but the patches were not visible ... 90% are unglued 5mm, some almost completely.

Probably combination of hot weather or a hot car and 'flying sand' on a windy day.

Nayy

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:02 pm

Is that sand stuck to the underside of the patches?

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:57 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:02 pm
Is that sand stuck to the underside of the patches?
yes, there is sand everywhere... on every spot where glue was used to stick the kite together while assembling it there is sand... incredible...
The patches came parially loose with glue on the patch and on the kite side... now sand is sticking on both sides...

nayy

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 am

has anyone experienced the peak 4 folding on a strong gusty wind as seen in the attachment ?
Attachments
peak collapse.png

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:45 am

Yes, and also with the 5 meter, and I saw a guy trying to use a 13 meter in flukey winds where sometimes the same thing was happening.

It means that you are way overpowered and sheeting out too far.

If you sheet in, or switch to some method of conveyance with more drag, or better yet switch to a smaller peak 4, it magically goes away.

I’ve found that the peaks really don’t really ever need any adjustment on the bar trim. Once you adjust the trim strap to the correct spot, you pretty much get the entire range of the kite just by sheeting in and out.

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 am

Allarounder wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 am
has anyone experienced the peak 4 folding on a strong gusty wind as seen in the attachment ?
There is a fix for this problem in Page 274. Easy and reversible.

With this mod, my P4 5m flies stable and without folds even in turbulent wind.
my home spot is a lake between mountains, worst case scenario.

Hope it helps
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Allarounder (Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:09 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:12 am

bitxopalo wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 am
Allarounder wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 am
There is a fix for this problem in Page 274. Easy and reversible.

With this mod, my P4 5m flies stable and without folds even in turbulent wind.
my home spot is a lake between mountains, worst case scenario.

Hope it helps

But what is the difference with and without this mod, apart from when used hugely overpowered?

Those of us, most of us I assume, who have never had a tip fold - would it perform less with this mod?

As if not, all new ones could/should be like that :roll:

:D

8) Peter

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:46 am

That fix is not made to ride overpowered, the aim is to make the kite less sensitive to turbulent wind. I had wingtip folds even in light wind in a very turbulent spot.

Flysurfer tech depart recomended the mod, and works great for me. Of course changes the airfoil a bit, but I didnt notice any difference in performance.

I suppouse that you ride by the sea with much better wind than me, so you wont need it at all

Return to “Foil Kites”