Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby drsurf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Yep, that's the Australian plan :D

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Onda » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:50 pm

junebug wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:42 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm
Australia sounds very nice, but there seem to be biblical proportions to everything there recently: fires, floods & now the mice.
Don't forget spiders:
OH MY GOD!!!
Are those poisonous?!

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:47 pm

Everything in OZ is poisonous! Or trying to eat you. Humans are not at the top of the food chain over there😳

Re peak 4. Well I had read allot but not all of this massive thread and as a result bought a 6M. tried it in marginal conditions a couple of times and didn’t like it..... no power. gave it another go today. TT’s were on 11 to 14 m kites.
Absolutely amazing, I was fully powered even a little overpowered at times. Super easy and low stress kite. Think the reason I didn’t like it before was because I was choking it, it needs to be free to get some speed up and not hauling on the bar. Guess I will have to get a 4m to compliment it now.
For ref I’m 85kg on a 770cm foil.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:03 pm

You will have to remember that lesson when you try the 4m.

3 and 4m kites of any type are pretty easy to stall.

You can trim a lot of it out with a trim strap, or just understand that these kites are not for the heavy handed and through they are easy peasy to fly, it takes a little getting used to being gentle at the bar to get the best out of them.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Floating around (Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:10 pm

junebug wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 am
I crashed my 4m Peak today in 20kn winds (12-25kn lull to gust) and 2-3 feet of swell. My first crash. I learned a few lessons:

I crashed because I had looped it a bunch of times in the same direction on a waterstart and then I tried to get the outside lines uncrossed all at once by pinwheeling the kite. I knew it pinwheeled fast, but I wasn't prepared for how fast it was once it got going. I came out of the pinwheel with the kite headed down instead of up and couldn't correct it in time. The lesson here, for me anyway, is to uncross the lines with a series of loops instead of going for it all at once with a pinwheel.

Once it hit the water, it instantaneously turned into a wet pile of fabric. I was not very far offshore and I was pretty close to breaking waves (maybe waist-stomach high) so I didn't even try to relaunch. I just sat on my board and starting winding up my lines while kicking toward the kite to avoid tensioning the lines and pulling the kite under water. I stopped when I got to the rings, and I probably should have kept going a couple of more wraps.

Once I got to the kite, I tried to get the kite oriented so I could roll it up but it didn't work very well and, by this time, I had been pushed close to the break. Also, I felt the bridles hitting my legs underwater, which spooked me a little bit, so rather than take the time to roll it up I just gathered it the best I could and stuffed it in my mesh backpack. Given that the waves weren't that big and I probably had more time than I thought, it was a mistake not to do a tighter pack down.

By the time I got to the beach, the wind had dropped a little bit, so I decided to just take the backpack off, put up the 5m, and deal with the 4m lines at the end of the session. Being a novice foil kiter, when I came back to the 4m, it was a total rat's nest the likes of which I have never seen. It took me over an hour to get everything sorted, and I'm not exactly sure what I did, but, next time this happens, I will do everything in my power to roll the kite up as cleanly as possible so I don't have to deal with that again.
Ha ha your experience in the water and the rat's nest afterwards sounds very very very familiar....I feel your pain. make sure the mixer and bridles and everything is as it should be...I've managed to twist things up but didn't notice until the next kite launch.

Thanks to all who provided tips for water pack-up, I found the info very helpful and will try it out. And the idea of stuffing a couple bags in the leading edge is pure genius !! Can't wait to try that out. HOPEFULLY FLYSURFER SAW THAT !!! Peak5 could include such a feature....maybe something you can install/remove if you want, or even built-in (weight penalty would be minimal) and just blow it up if needed. With no negative impacts on the awesome characteristics of the Peak4, this is HUGE HUGE HUGE.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

EvryRe: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:00 pm

OK. I'll add my experience with flying & dropping Peaks. I have about 35 hours on Peak4's so far. I have put the kite in the water 4 times. Each time it was while trying to water start in underpowered conditions - choking the kite & looping it into the water accidentally. 3 of the times I was able to reverse launch the kite more or less immediately.

The 4th time I was a fair distance offshore in 6C water & 10c air. For some reason when the 4m Peak hit the water nose down, I pulled on the front lines. This led to water entering the LE & I was then unable to reverse launch. I spent a few minutes trying to get the kite back into the air, but was unsuccessful. In the end I had to swim to the kite rolling the lines up on the bar. By this time the board had drifted some distance downwind, so I rolled up the kite & swam in carrying the kite. This was not as difficult as you might think, helped by the fact that I was wearing quite a bit of rubber (although no flotation vest). I was not that cold & eventually made it ashore ... although not before a number of people walking on the beach called emergency services, apparently getting patched in to CFB Trenton. Fortunately, I made it in before any serious intervention arrived on the scene.

My take-away: be really careful when you are water starting underpowered. It's hard to drop a Peak4 when you're riding - even gybing while underpowered. Looping the kite into the water seems the most likely cause of dropping the kite. Think about you are doing when you do drop the kite. The best bet is to keep tension in the lines & immediately reverse launch the kite ... however, you also want to keep the board upwind of your body & this is difficult because it's hard to focus on re-launching when you're also focused on the board. On the positive side, even without a board to rest the kite on, it's still possible to swim in with a Peak .. at least the 4m. :-?

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:03 pm
You will have to remember that lesson when you try the 4m.

3 and 4m kites of any type are pretty easy to stall.

You can trim a lot of it out with a trim strap, or just understand that these kites are not for the heavy handed and through they are easy peasy to fly, it takes a little getting used to being gentle at the bar to get the best out of them.
Thanks for that. I have a terrible habit of trying to lift myself onto the board using the bar..... dosent work very well 😂. I guess the sheeting range of the 4m will be quite small. Now that I have got a bit of understanding of the 6m it shouldn’t be to hard to transfer to the smaller sizes.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:35 pm

F-Bear wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:10 pm
junebug wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 am
I crashed my 4m Peak today in 20kn winds (12-25kn lull to gust) and 2-3 feet of swell. My first crash. I learned a few lessons:

I crashed because I had looped it a bunch of times in the same direction on a waterstart and then I tried to get the outside lines uncrossed all at once by pinwheeling the kite. I knew it pinwheeled fast, but I wasn't prepared for how fast it was once it got going. I came out of the pinwheel with the kite headed down instead of up and couldn't correct it in time. The lesson here, for me anyway, is to uncross the lines with a series of loops instead of going for it all at once with a pinwheel.

Once it hit the water, it instantaneously turned into a wet pile of fabric. I was not very far offshore and I was pretty close to breaking waves (maybe waist-stomach high) so I didn't even try to relaunch. I just sat on my board and starting winding up my lines while kicking toward the kite to avoid tensioning the lines and pulling the kite under water. I stopped when I got to the rings, and I probably should have kept going a couple of more wraps.

Once I got to the kite, I tried to get the kite oriented so I could roll it up but it didn't work very well and, by this time, I had been pushed close to the break. Also, I felt the bridles hitting my legs underwater, which spooked me a little bit, so rather than take the time to roll it up I just gathered it the best I could and stuffed it in my mesh backpack. Given that the waves weren't that big and I probably had more time than I thought, it was a mistake not to do a tighter pack down.

By the time I got to the beach, the wind had dropped a little bit, so I decided to just take the backpack off, put up the 5m, and deal with the 4m lines at the end of the session. Being a novice foil kiter, when I came back to the 4m, it was a total rat's nest the likes of which I have never seen. It took me over an hour to get everything sorted, and I'm not exactly sure what I did, but, next time this happens, I will do everything in my power to roll the kite up as cleanly as possible so I don't have to deal with that again.
Ha ha your experience in the water and the rat's nest afterwards sounds very very very familiar....I feel your pain. make sure the mixer and bridles and everything is as it should be...I've managed to twist things up but didn't notice until the next kite launch.

Thanks to all who provided tips for water pack-up, I found the info very helpful and will try it out. And the idea of stuffing a couple bags in the leading edge is pure genius !! Can't wait to try that out. HOPEFULLY FLYSURFER SAW THAT !!! Peak5 could include such a feature....maybe something you can install/remove if you want, or even built-in (weight penalty would be minimal) and just blow it up if needed. With no negative impacts on the awesome characteristics of the Peak4, this is HUGE HUGE HUGE.

we got some ideas for the....ummm... party "ballons" that were left over from sosua.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:25 am

There is also this type of bag. No idea what size would be best:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32748669831.html

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 pm

ieism wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:01 pm
No mice here, but your Roomba eating your bridles is not much better.. :wink: