Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby max » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:17 pm

my two cents as they say . . . everything is personal tastes in the end.

85kg, Moses 679 wing . . . I ordered a 4m Peak4 but they sent me a 3m and I did not realise. You might wonder how I did not . . . first foil kite ever and I assumed they had sent me a 4m.

I thought it was a bit small area wise when I laid it out and when I used it, it was super fun but I thought that it was a bit underpowered for what everyone had said about the power of a Peak. After about three goes, all heaps of fun, a friend spotted that it was a 3m when I landed it near him. He asked me what I thought of the 3m . . . to which I said, its a 4m. He said . . . then why does it have a big 3 on the side. :o

So now I have a 4m and a 3m as I decided to keep the 3m. At this stage, the 3m is my favourite . . . love at first flight . . . such a sweet kite if you like a kite that truly feels alive in the air, not to mention how brilliant it floats off the wind. I have used the 3m a lot lately.

After using the 4m a couple of times, I have found that it feels like a much larger kite in the way it flies and turns.

Power wise, my feelings are that the 3m is like a 4m LEI and the 4m could be more like a 5.5/6m LEI but I really need more time on it.

Relaunch wise, I can't comment as I have yet to drop the kite in the water.

Something different to what I am used to is how the Peaks depower with a very small movement of the bar.

Lastly, I had the 4m at what felt like its top end and the kite seems to hold a degree of pull even when fully depowered on the bar.
These users thanked the author max for the post:
ice (Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Brian H » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 am

Thanks guys I will get the 4m to compliment the 5m .

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:30 am

norcom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 pm
tomtom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm
Norcom irony is just ignorance or complete different style riding where you dont mind excess power
Don't mind excess power? My style of riding with Peaks is mostly in light to ultra-light wind. Perhaps check my other posts where I'm using Peaks with a 100L board and GoFoil M280/M200 wings. Have you flown the 5, 8 and 11m Peaks in under 10mph to understand what the light wind needs are? I can't remember the last time I rode in 30 knots here and hurricane season's a few months away. Plenty of other kites that work in 30 knots but not many that are as fun as the Peaks in under 10. There's a big difference in how fun and playful the 5m is compared to the 8m in small surf.
I wrongly assumed if you irony about 6.5 - was about not needing 3m.
About excess power I was talking about using 5m overpowered - where 4 will be just perfect. Not light wind.

Sorry for misunderstanding you

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:53 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:30 am
norcom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 pm
tomtom wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:25 pm
Norcom irony is just ignorance or complete different style riding where you dont mind excess power
Don't mind excess power? My style of riding with Peaks is mostly in light to ultra-light wind. Perhaps check my other posts where I'm using Peaks with a 100L board and GoFoil M280/M200 wings. Have you flown the 5, 8 and 11m Peaks in under 10mph to understand what the light wind needs are? I can't remember the last time I rode in 30 knots here and hurricane season's a few months away. Plenty of other kites that work in 30 knots but not many that are as fun as the Peaks in under 10. There's a big difference in how fun and playful the 5m is compared to the 8m in small surf.
I wrongly assumed if you irony about 6.5 - was about not needing 3m.
About excess power I was talking about using 5m overpowered - where 4 will be just perfect. Not light wind.

Sorry for misunderstanding you
No worries! :thumb: I was trying to make a joke by asking Arim to make the 6.5m first. I guess it didn't come through as well as I had hoped. :D

I'd love to see the 2m, 6m, 6.5m 7m and all in between sizes be made. Except maybe the bigger sizes. (Sorry Armin!) I no longer care for those. :D I had the Peak3 12m and it had a little more power than the Peak4 11m but nowhere near as stable and a little slower. They're just too slow to do anything other than mow the lawn. I also hate doing a self rescue with them.

I have the 4m and the 5m. You're right, there's a huge difference between the "perfect" range and when they're overpowered. I picked up the 4m exactly for that reason but I haven't used it much. I plan on picking up the 3m, just because I love these kites! Though I don't usually foil when the wind picks up to the 3m range.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:32 pm

My nonnative english is to blame! :cheers:

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

If you want to compare the sizes, use the projected size at your Wegpage. There is a digit more that the flat size, which is rounded.

3 is a bit smaller than 3.0. 5 a lot bigger than 5.0, ...

Cheers, Armin

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm
If you want to compare the sizes, use the projected size at your Wegpage. There is a digit more that the flat size, which is rounded.

3 is a bit smaller than 3.0. 5 a lot bigger than 5.0, ...

Cheers, Armin
so you mean area size wise, something like:

3 is actually 2.9m2
5 is like 5.4m2

and 4m is pretty much 4m.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Yes, that direction.
Use the projected sizes and you will know more.

Foil_Adict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne Beach Florida
Style: Foil and wave
Gear: Peak 4 3,5, and 13
Armstrong 4'5 SKT
Armstrong 1250, 1550v2, and 925

Slingshot SST for surf downwinder

Postby Foil_Adict » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Well the inevitable finally happened, put my 5m down in chest high waves. Happy to report that other than an unpleasant swim all is well.

It was supposed to be a solid 15mph winds, side on, but I think the colder water today was causing a bit of a inversion with the wind staying light on the coast. Anyway I am guessing the wind was 8 to 10 which is usually enough when the waves are small but today it was chest high and the current was strong. No worries figured I would slide out and just stay outside and ride the swell. Well, things did not go as planned.

Started out powered enough but I think when I got closer to the sand bar I hit a strong downwind current. Dropped off foil and then decided to try to try and drag the rest of the way past the break. That was a mistake. The current must have been strong because when I was almost out I could barely feel the kite. I had it dragging me out about half way down in the window when a set came and cleaned me up. Ended up dumping the kite into the next wave and that was it. Quickly swam to the kite after my intial shock (I have never dropped my peak before after a ton of sessions). Rolled up the kite the best I could and dragged it in the 100 yards to the beach.

Lines looked like a total rats nest when I finally made it in and I thought I was going to have my work cut out for me. I kept the lines connected and was pleasantly surprised with how quickly I was able to clear the bridles.

Kite was no worse for wear. Launched again and walked back up the beach.

Lesson learned...still love my peak!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 pm

Done it a handful of times now. Doesn’t take long.

Return to “Foil Kites”