Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:38 am

nayy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:06 am
Hi all,

I have a Peak4 5 and 3m² that I use mostly for kitefoiling.

Yesterday I flew my 3 for the first time... the kite has the tendency to backstall very fast when I pull the bar.

I'm flying it on an Ozone bar, all lines are checked and equal length.

The 5 I have to depower it a few cm to avoid backstalling when I pull the bar completely 'full power'... the 3 is much worse, I have to depower it almost completely.

But then is flies ok... but this seems strange to me.

A friend who flies the peaks a lot says it's due to my flying syle...

So both kites backstall when you pull the bar full power . The 5 I have to depower a few cm to avoid this, the 3 I have to depower almost completely or it is uncontrollable.

Nayy
Yes, this is normal and why they are so "Magic" - you can control them onehanded almost without sheeting nor any trimming.

Dont take line lengths for "granted", its a common mistake that line lengths should be equal, rubbish in fact, nothing but a thumbrule when starting out with a new kite.

Just trim the lengths to fit your current kites and your personal style.
If you dont have a fixed bar on the kite, but share bar for several kites, trim at the kites so this bar will be perfect no matter which kite you pick :D

I trim the opposite on my kites, both Peak but also LEIs, the first thing I do is shorten the rearlines, so they backstall a lot more.
This way I can ride with bar further away from me, gives a much better stance when carving and riding waves (for me)

If I pull the bar completely, the kite will more than backstall - but doesnt matter, you should never do that.
But if this is your preferred way of riding, you have to lengthen your rearlines instead, like you have done now with the trimmer.
It is not a good way IMO, as then you have to find the exact sweetspot which is only a few cm's and you have to ride with arms bent all the time?

As said before, the 3 m2 can be extremely difficult to fly at first, if you have no experience with small Peak kites (3 and 4 m2)
This is normal for everyone, just trim it to your liking and get some time on the water - it will come and soon you will fly it blindfolded, not stalling :thumb:
5 m2 and bigger, easy, but below that, sensitive and your body needs to adapt just like when you learned kitefoiling.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
nayy (Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:24 pm) • nothing2seehere (Tue May 03, 2022 9:19 am)
Rating: 6.06%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:42 am

nayy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:06 am
Hi all,

I have a Peak4 5 and 3m² that I use mostly for kitefoiling.

Yesterday I flew my 3 for the first time... the kite has the tendency to backstall very fast when I pull the bar.

I'm flying it on an Ozone bar, all lines are checked and equal length.

The 5 I have to depower it a few cm to avoid backstalling when I pull the bar completely 'full power'... the 3 is much worse, I have to depower it almost completely.

But then is flies ok... but this seems strange to me.

A friend who flies the peaks a lot says it's due to my flying syle...

So both kites backstall when you pull the bar full power . The 5 I have to depower a few cm to avoid this, the 3 I have to depower almost completely or it is uncontrollable.

Nayy
Hi Nayy.

The 3m Peak4 is a small kite and the distance between backstall and fully depowered is much less than a larger kite. Also the 3m Peak4 is very fast and responsive so backstall may occur in a lull quite quickly.

Also if your 3m Peak4 is new and this is the first time it has flown, you have to give it time for the bridles and kite to settle. It usually takes 5 - 10 hours of flight time for the whole kite to settle in and then it won't change too much after that.

Each Peak kite may also need a different adjustment of the depower at the bar to fly at its best. Spend a bit of time getting this right and you shouldn't have a problem. The smallest of the Peak kites, the 3m Peak4 and 2.5m Peak5 do take a bit of getting used to as they're way smaller than most people have used as a traction kite. However once you're used to flying them with your foil I think you'll find they're probably the most fun kite in the Peak range :D :D "Magic" as Peter has said :)
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:09 am) • nayy (Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:25 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:14 pm

It’s almost as frustrating as getting flippant responses from people who don’t even comprehend your question.

Mirza, your leading edge wing tip is collapsing because you have the kite trimmed in too much and are pushing the bar out too far.

The guy using the same kite on a twintip in way more wind is not doing that.
merl wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:05 am
mirza23454 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:10 pm
Are folding wing tips when overpowered inevitable? Does everyone experience that?

I flew peaks all of last season and just accepted that’s the way it is, but yesterday I ran into someone riding a 5m on a twintip in winds I would consider overpowered. He also said he rode a 4m in 40kts on a surfboard recently, and he never has wing tip collapse. He said he doesn’t have to sheet in and keep steering lines tight to avoid issues like that. He has stock peaks. I forgot to ask what kind of bar and line config he has (maybe Y vs V makes a difference?)

Anyone know what’s up with that? Does anyone else here not experience collapsing wing tips when flying a peak above its typical wind range?
One of the most frustrating things about forums is when you have kite problems and all you get are posts trying to explain why it is a problem with your technique and not the kite. Here is some practical information that should be worth a try:

viewtopic.php?p=1157604#p1157604

mirza23454
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: sfbay mostly 3rd/coyote
Gear: Mostly surf/wave/carve oriented kites/boards/foils
Has thanked: 0

Postby mirza23454 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks folks! I’ll look at bitxopalo’s method! To be clear, I usually downsize when it’s too windy, but I’ve been wondering if I could make my peaks work on surfboards where I’d need more wind. I know I can sheet in to stop the collapse, but I find the bar pressure pretty high when it’s that windy, so I don’t know how well it would work to ride that way for longer. I guess I just need to experiment more.

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 pm

I have used twice the 5m with surfboards... Didnt like it too much but doable. I prefer to take the "magic 3m" pure joy to sail with it :D

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 pm

bitxopalo wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 pm
I have used twice the 5m with surfboards... Didnt like it too much but doable. I prefer to take the "magic 3m" pure joy to sail with it :D
I got a 6m Peak 5, i found it hard to understand what sort if wind range I'd be looking at on a surfboard? I'm 95kg.

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:45 pm

I would say 18knot.... but Im 65Kg and never rode a 6m.... Sure other can answer you better
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Fatso (Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm

Fatso wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 pm
bitxopalo wrote:
I got a 6m Peak 5, i found it hard to understand what sort if wind range I'd be looking at on a surfboard? I'm 95kg.

I dont know.

But I used my 5 m2 Peak in winds where a 6-7 m2 LEI worked.

Out with the Peak first - magic to find out how I could stay higher on the wave, kite drifting so much better than LEI's, great :thumb:

Out with the Peak first, and then a LEI.
It was horrible - to get back on a LEI the same day, it felt so slow and heavy and sluggish, compared ha haa :naughty:

The only thing I did not like with the Peak on a waveboard, was the noise from the flapping when walking out/in as it was a spot with low water for the first 300 meters, even for short surfboard fins :wink:

My take would be you can use the 6 m2 Peak5 in winds where you would use an 8 m2 LEI :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Fatso (Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:37 pm)

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm
Fatso wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 pm
bitxopalo wrote:

I dont know.

But I used my 5 m2 Peak in winds where a 6-7 m2 LEI worked.

Out with the Peak first - magic to find out how I could stay higher on the wave, kite drifting so much better than LEI's, great :thumb:

Out with the Peak first, and then a LEI.
It was horrible - to get back on a LEI the same day, it felt so slow and heavy and sluggish, compared ha haa :naughty:

The only thing I did not like with the Peak on a waveboard, was the noise from the flapping when walking out/in as it was a spot with low water for the first 300 meters, even for short surfboard fins :wink:

My take would be you can use the 6 m2 Peak5 in winds where you would use an 8 m2 LEI :D

8) Peter
Thanks both, my other kite is a 9m Reo so was thinking over 30 knots bit that does not seem to be good...

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:14 pm

I think it will be less for sure
If I go with 15knot with 5m you must go 18-20knt.
IMO!
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Fatso (Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:20 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”