Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Update Jan/2021:

To get a > 2000 posts topic under control I added a link collection for some of the important posts, here: https://kj4l.com/?p=418

End of Update

Hi everybody,

even if I don't snow and land kite anymore significantly. I wanted to test the new Peak 4. The single skin concept of the Peak to me is not only something to bring you to the peak, but much more a "Do what you want" toy, as you see also in our old video of Peak 3: https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/fly ... ktvideo-56

And as we don't have snow yet, I did what I want again and tried the smallest 3 m² Peak together with a Gong 80 cm SUP Monofoil in the Bavarian Sea at around 12 - 16 knt, while others were riding 10 - 15 m² :rollgrin: .
FS-Peak4-3m².jpg
And it worked so well, that I not just tried, but stayed for 1/2 hour, just going back as it started difficult to keep in mind: "Don't try to much, don't drop it into 8°C air and water as long you don't know how it relaunchs…" … but promised, I will find out, as I seriously think about keeping it as my all terain strong wind kite.
Gong-80cm-Mono_&_FS-Peak4-3m².jpg
As till now all those single skins have come to market to me lack in performance as to much flapping especially of the tips and as being most time on the water I have never been interested too much. But the closed tip cells seems to improve performance significantly. I was able to go pretty well upwind, better than other kiters with surfboards and 4 times bigger kites :D . I felt really well powered, but if needed could depower totally all the time, let the kite drift anywhere while trying to catch and pump around the micro wind waves ...
FS-Peak4-3m²-spin.jpg
… propeller the kite infinity and exit the spin controlled in the needed direction etc.. It also felt like that the used combination could be just perfect for small wind wave riding.

https://flysurfer.com/de/project/peak4/

Hope to come back with some more info and a video. Just wanted to tell: It is worth a try. :)
Last edited by Horst Sergio on Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby a99 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am

Very interesing review. I also thinking why Flysurfer not marked that Peak can be used in water or for foiling ? ProbAbly because they would like to sell much more expensive foils sonics and souls ? Seem that they will stop relessing peak 4 or do release very limited number if their will see how water people buying it very rapidly :) 3meter peak4 kite range 5-38 knots, cammon people, seems we can have only one kite for foiling and kiting :) my prediction will be after that few months peak4 out of stocks :)
Last edited by a99 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
abel (Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm

I imagine the reason FS doesn’t advertise it as a water foil is because at least with the Peak 3, water relaunch was basically nonexistent. I’m curious to see if with the Peak 4, if that has changed any.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Adventure Logs:
There is a video of a Peak started out of the water:
I remember that I tested the Peak 1 myself first in the water and relaunched it after a little drop and even did this with a 1999 open cell Mosquito:

Just saying: it is not all black and white, open up your mind makes things become possible, who would have expected to find many good wave kiters being happy with a foil some years ago:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2394428

@a99:
Don't think that FS needs to be afraid of peak cannibal towards Soul or Sonic.
For average Joe a Soul will always be so much easier to relaunch and go upwind than any singleskin could be and a single skin will never boost you just anywhere close to a high performance closed cell.

And about pricing: If you calculate just with absolute values, go buy a Punch kite and start to tangle around and if you are lucky and get a good one it may pay back with a bit of fun for a short time.

But for me Sonic and Soul are everydays fun machines lasting so long that price per session and fun is extremly low. I even would not expect a peak will have a that good price to fun time value, as the flapping behaviour will consume structure much faster.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Horst, I know it's possible with the right conditions but not good enough for Flysurfer to market it as a water relaunchable foil. Just why I think Flysurfer doesn't mention it. That video is of a waterlaunch which is very different than a relaunch after crashing the Peak. That's setup ideal, on it's back, all good to go. I would imagine crashing with the leading edge down would be a very different matter.

I'm very curious to see if the inflated sides improve or hurt relaunchablity. I've been debating buying one as a high wind option since I rarely drop my foils anymore.

=Jason-

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:54 pm

Read from a Canadian dealer on kite forum.ca in chatting section :

"J'ai parlé cette semaine avec Armin de Flysurfer, il conçoit les voiles et au sujet justement de la Peak en ULW enhydrofoil il m'a dit que le redecollage est 50/50 mais que elle tient dans si peu de vent que faut gaffer solide pour l'échapper. Mais la Soul est la valeur sûre"

In english:

"I spoke this week with Armin Flysurfer, he designed the sails and about the Peak ULW in hydrofoil he told me that the re-launch is 50/50 but that it holds in so little wind that you have to gaffer solid to escape it. But Soul is the safe bet.¨

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:45 am

It was me who wrote the above comment on the french forum. I was asking earlier this week Armin about the possibility to use the Peak4 11m in ULW for hydrofoil. So not really like the above post where he use a 3m Peak but i mean in 4-6 knots maybe with the Peak4 11m. So what Armin said is that this might work with a large SUP/Surf wing foil but the relaunch if you drop it is about 50/50 and it make sense in very light wind with this type of kite. It stay in the air in less wind of course because it is a super light weight kite but you will also have less riding speed because of the shape of the kite. So not sure if for 1-2 knots difference maximum is worth it. A Soul is for me so far an incredible ULW kite. But maybe the smaller size Peak could make for a nice surf kite with an hydrofoil just like the OP.

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm

kiter4fun123
Medium Poster
Style: TT and hydrofoil in light wind
Gear: flysurfer, naish, nobile
Has thanked: 0

Postby kiter4fun123 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:49 am

Hi!

This kite looks really nice :)
I'm trying to understand what differences to expect compared to a closed cell flysurfer.

I'm using my closed cells during winter in some challenging conditions. It's often super gusty, 3 - 10 ms is a normal windy day, 2 - 5 ms on a light / medium wind day. It's challenging but works ok with my closed cells.

Would it be an advantage with a single skin kite?
I.e are they more stable in this kind of wind?
How is jumping? (compared to soul - speed - sonic)

I notice that the peek4 linup got smaller sizes but the windrange is narrower than the closed cells.
So what's the size ratio compared to the closed cell kites.
Would I get out as much power from a peek4 8m as from a speed12m?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never tried a single skin foil :)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:14 am

kiter4fun123 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:49 am
Sorry for all the questions but I've never tried a single skin foil :)
For those who have never tried, compared to a closed cell foil:
- more power per m² factor by 1,2 - 1,5
- a bit less windrange
- less upwind
- extrem light weight and therefore great lightwind stability
- depower feel inbetween tubes and closed foils: shaking in the bar when full depowered and flapping
but also great drift when full depowered
- great turning especially the peak4 with its tip cells, continuous Variation of loop till spin with always good pull
- unknown water relaunch behaviour

These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
Foil_Adict (Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”