Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
ice
Medium Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ice » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:26 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:27 am
Having foiled almost every day for the last 5 weeks - mostly in reef-break waves - I've had the opportunity to experiment a bit. I have settled on 17m lines for everything other than light wind (less than 13 knots). 20m lines definitely help the low end with the 6m and 5m, but for the most part I have been foiling in 13/14 knots plus, at which point I will use 17m lines with the 5m.

We've had a number of days with winds around 20 knots. This for me (at about 80 kg) is a toss-up between the 4m & 3m Peak 4. On the 4m with 17m lines it's a bit too much power, especially when in the waves. On the 3m with 17m lines it's a little bit light. I tried the 4m with 14m lines and didn't really like it - it certainly makes the power more manageable, but doesn't feel quite right. It might just take more time to adjust to it.

The 3m with 17m lines takes a light touch and sensitive sheeting & positioning to keep the kite in the correct power zone ... but it's absolutely magic in the waves - turning into an overhead wave is beautiful as it is possible to instantly depower the kite and just surf down the wave face and then pick up a bit of power in the kite when you need it.

Nobody else using Peaks - typically people are foiling with 10m LEI kites when I'm on my 5m Peak, and 8m LEI kites when I am on my 4m Peak ... but most people are not foiling in the waves, but are foiling in the flats inside the reef, jumping, tacking, sitting, "racing" etc. My buddy is using V2 UFOs and typically uses 7m when I'm on the 5m Peak and 5m when I'm on the 4m.
off topic, but what wing are you using for your wave riding

i am still using an old LF impluse which has been great, but i assume there are better foils out there now for wave riding

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:14 pm

ice wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:26 am

off topic, but what wing are you using for your wave riding

i am still using an old LF impluse which has been great, but i assume there are better foils out there now for wave riding
I'm using a Gong Curve M with a 40cm Fast stab. This is a similar shape to the Impulse but a bit smaller and quite a lot thinner, so presumably produces considerably less lift than the Impulse. I also have a more "modern" Gong Fluid MT which I intend to use for comparison. It is higher aspect, thinner and presumably faster than the Curve M. I'm not sure if that is going to be an advantage in waves, or not. It seems to me that a lot of the development in wing design over the last couple of years has been driven by wing foiling, rather than kite foiling. Perhaps someone using faster, higher aspect wings would comment on their experience?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:58 pm

IMO the newer wings arent really better....

If you want glide, yes, but this is for wingfoiling, where the target has changed hugely into glide instead of ease and turning.

Not so for kitefoiling, where IMO the classic Moses 633 and similar still works spot on perfect.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
ice (Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 am) • Flyboy (Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:16 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:02 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:14 pm

I'm using a Gong Curve M with a 40cm Fast stab. This is a similar shape to the Impulse but a bit smaller and quite a lot thinner, so presumably produces considerably less lift than the Impulse. I also have a more "modern" Gong Fluid MT which I intend to use for comparison. It is higher aspect, thinner and presumably faster than the Curve M. I'm not sure if that is going to be an advantage in waves, or not. It seems to me that a lot of the development in wing design over the last couple of years has been driven by wing foiling, rather than kite foiling. Perhaps someone using faster, higher aspect wings would comment on their experience?
thanks, yes the gong curve m does look very similar to the LF impulse

love to hear how you go with the Fluid

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:17 am

I went from a low aspect 1300 wing to the carbon F-One Phantom 1280. Huge improvement - much more stable, longer glides, and still very easy to turn tight and quick. Also had a go on the Eagle, which is the F-One high aspect wing with even more speed and glide. The wingtips are pointing upwards etc so it has been tweaked and it was on a shorter fuselage, and it pleasantly surprised me in terms of maneuverability still. It did need a bit more speed/wind to get going though but would be an awesome wing for when it's really on with proper swell and solid wind. Next wing I would like to try is the Cabrinha H-Series 1000. That thing looks like it turns on a dime and glides forever!

Anyways, from my experience these new higher aspect wings are really being tweaked nicely to still be good for turning while at the same time enabling longer glides and more speed. Fun times ahead as they develop and further finetune these wings!
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post:
ice (Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 pm

My friend Ugo with his Peak4 4m² in 15-17 kn of wind, footage from last summer.

incredible good kitefoil kite, and usable in relatively low wind for such small surface.

enjoy,

Nayy
These users thanked the author nayy for the post (total 2):
bitxopalo (Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:28 am) • Trent hink (Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:22 pm

ice wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:02 am
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:14 pm

thanks, yes the gong curve m does look very similar to the LF impulse

love to hear how you go with the Fluid
I had a couple of sessions with the Fluid MT. It felt very skittish at first - not pitchy, but with regard to roll and yaw. I assume this is because it has a flat profile (and thinner) than the Curve. I just had to dial back my inputs a bit and then found I was managing OK, but I couldn't really tell if it was "faster". However, I didn't really take it into breaking waves and went back to my Curve for that.

I had a flatter day later when I went upwind, powered with the 5m Peak - that would have been a good opportunity to test the performance of the Fluid but I was using the Curve.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
ice (Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 pm

After decent wind for most of the last 2 months we've hit a week of very light wind. At home I don't bother going if I can't get out with my 6m Peak (which means 10 knot minimum). But being at the beach where other foilers are able to get going with 10m and 12 LEI kites makes me wonder about bringing a bigger kite next time. I really don't want to bring a bulky LEI - even a single strut or no strut - and not sure about a (relatively expensive and bulky) double skin foil kite. I know the bigger Peaks are slow, but for just getting out on the water and cruising (low bulk and low cost) would a bigger Peak make any sense? 8m? 11m?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:47 pm

Hmmm, the 8 m2, for me @78 kg, goes from 8 knots, where my 6 m2 need 9 knots.

Minimum that is.

I would pick a 13 m2, if you "just want to get out" in less than 10 knots.

They are slow as hell, but will do the job, and hang even if wind drops.

The 8 m2 gives too little extra IMO, I use it often, but only because my next kite is a big double skin superlight 11 m2 kite I use when 6-8 knots.

So the 8 can be a gamechanger when too low wind for my 6 m2, and I dont wanna bother with the big doubleskin kite.

If I did not have the big one, I would go 13 m2 and drop the 11 as they are both slow, but the 13 has more power.

8) Peter

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:04 am

I had the 11m, but sold it and got a 12m pulsion, better on every aspect, upwind, fast, stable, high and low end.... Only cons is the price, but you can find one used for the price of a new peak.

Return to “Foil Kites”