Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am

nayy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:35 pm
last session with my flysurfer peak4 5m², before I change to flysurfer hybrids.

You'll miss the feeling of flying the 5 when you compare to the 5.5 hybrid I'm afraid - but you have to look on the positive sides of the hybrids with idiot-proof relaunch, big range and excellent drift.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby nayy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:32 pm

merl wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:35 am


You'll miss the feeling of flying the 5 when you compare to the 5.5 hybrid I'm afraid - but you have to look on the positive sides of the hybrids with idiot-proof relaunch, big range and excellent drift.
I have my hybrids since a few moths now, do not regret the change. It's a different kite but not bad at all.
Used mostly for freeride/wave on foil.
I did foil in conditions where a kite drop wouldn't have been fun in cold water.

negative so far:
less power( less woosh), but still ok for me. (my 7,5 allows me to foil in 10 kn, I'm 87 kg on 25m lines)
more chance to have problems with tangled bridles at launch
difficult to land when allone. this thing just wants to fly.

positive so far:
relaunch
drift is even better than a peak. Much better.
more stable than a peak
Turns tighter.
Bigger wind range.

for my riding style it has all I need for a perfect kitefoil kite.
i don't really understand all those negative comments.

nayy
These users thanked the author nayy for the post (total 2):
merl (Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 am) • lifeinthehood (Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 pm
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:58 pm

More commentary on over powered conditions - hadn't seen this in a while... Bar pushed out too much in overpowered conditions cause beyond flapping, deformations in the lower half (sometimes wingtip might flap into bridle).

I had to fight through onshore break- went with the 4m (didn't want to be underpowered in the break). Whoopsie, committed to the ride after hopping into the water. Probably high teens gusting 25kts. Anyways, was getting significant deformations in the lower portion, strong tendency to pull left... Fixed by not letting bar go to full out position, but remembered how annoying it is. I would've swapped out, but didn't want to fight the shorebreak again.

Out of curiosity- have you guys noticed that there's less deformation with Peak 5 or hybrid in overpowered conditions? The deformation isn't the end of the world, but when it starts pulling/steering when the gusts hit, pretty annoying.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:32 am

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:58 pm
More commentary on over powered conditions - hadn't seen this in a while... Bar pushed out too much in overpowered conditions cause beyond flapping, deformations in the lower half (sometimes wingtip might flap into bridle).

I had to fight through onshore break- went with the 4m (didn't want to be underpowered in the break). Whoopsie, committed to the ride after hopping into the water. Probably high teens gusting 25kts. Anyways, was getting significant deformations in the lower portion, strong tendency to pull left... Fixed by not letting bar go to full out position, but remembered how annoying it is. I would've swapped out, but didn't want to fight the shorebreak again.

Out of curiosity- have you guys noticed that there's less deformation with Peak 5 or hybrid in overpowered conditions? The deformation isn't the end of the world, but when it starts pulling/steering when the gusts hit, pretty annoying.
Absolutely. As a heavier rider I could experience strange deformations with the peak 4 in overpowered conditions - mainly folding windtips. I have ridden the hybrids 5.5. and 3.5 in overpowered conditions and they behave well (as well as can be expected).

User avatar
alekbelia
Medium Poster
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:11 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby alekbelia » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:16 am

merl wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:32 am
Absolutely. As a heavier rider I could experience strange deformations with the peak 4 in overpowered conditions - mainly folding windtips. I have ridden the hybrids 5.5. and 3.5 in overpowered conditions and they behave well (as well as can be expected).
I weigh 100 kg. I have had all the Peak4 kites and have been extremely happy with them.
I now have a total of 12 singleskin kites (Peak5 and Click) and have been extremely happy with them both on snow and water (ski and hydrofoil).
So far my comparisons are in favor of pure singleskin kites, especially when solo.

User avatar
lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 80 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby lederhosen » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:45 am

alekbelia wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:16 am
So far my comparisons are in favor of pure singleskin kites, especially when solo.
Yes! I feel the advantage of being able to quickly and easily launch and land single skin kites on your own even unter difficult conditions is not being addressed in hybrid kites. Is it impossible to make a 5th line for landing on closed cell kites? Would a sudden bending of a closed cell make the kite break?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:01 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:45 am
alekbelia wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:16 am
So far my comparisons are in favor of pure singleskin kites, especially when solo.
Yes! I feel the advantage of being able to quickly and easily launch and land single skin kites on your own even unter difficult conditions is not being addressed in hybrid kites. Is it impossible to make a 5th line for landing on closed cell kites? Would a sudden bending of a closed cell make the kite break?
I sort of agree - easy landing of pure single skins is awesome. But some hybrids are almost as good in this regard (firefly and hysper2 are the ones I have). The flysurfer hybrid is, however, nothing like as easy to land and needs a different approach.

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 pm
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:33 pm

alekbelia wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:16 am
merl wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:32 am
Absolutely. As a heavier rider I could experience strange deformations with the peak 4 in overpowered conditions - mainly folding windtips. I have ridden the hybrids 5.5. and 3.5 in overpowered conditions and they behave well (as well as can be expected).
I weigh 100 kg. I have had all the Peak4 kites and have been extremely happy with them.
I now have a total of 12 singleskin kites (Peak5 and Click) and have been extremely happy with them both on snow and water (ski and hydrofoil).
So far my comparisons are in favor of pure singleskin kites, especially when solo.
Have you noticed better behavior when overpowered from the peak 5 over the 4 or similar? I've never noticed the same issues on my 5's, but I'm generally on the right size for the conditions...

User avatar
alekbelia
Medium Poster
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:11 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby alekbelia » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:17 am

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:33 pm
Have you noticed better behavior when overpowered from the peak 5 over the 4 or similar? I've never noticed the same issues on my 5's, but I'm generally on the right size for the conditions...
I never got to the point of losing shape on either the Peak4 or the Peak5. The Peak5 is remarkably stable, but seems a touch slower.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:16 am

alekbelia wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:17 am
Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:33 pm
Have you noticed better behavior when overpowered from the peak 5 over the 4 or similar? I've never noticed the same issues on my 5's, but I'm generally on the right size for the conditions...
I never got to the point of losing shape on either the Peak4 or the Peak5. The Peak5 is remarkably stable, but seems a touch slower.
The wingtip instability issue does not seem to affect all kites, just a few. That's why some people just did not believe that there could be a problem...

Generally these are super stable and forgiving kites, but if you get unlucky and start to get wingtip instability (which is only likely in very overpowered or unstable winds), this post describes a fix:

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224&p=1157604 ... t#p1157604


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Allarounder, Johnnyrotten204 and 12 guests