Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby drsurf » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Onda wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am
Hey experts!
I own a 5 and 8 m² Peak. Use the 5 m² for wave foiling in small waves (maximum hip high).
I´m thinking about getting the 4 m² as well for our wind-generated waves. On the other hand: I can use my 5 m² Core Section from where the 5 m² Peak becomes uncomfortable. The Section in say 16-25 kts is drifting well enough to go down a smallish wave. It is not as good as a Peak, for sure. But the stronger the wind, the smaller the problem of falling kites when going down the line / the wave face.
Do you think the 4 m Peak still makes sense?
Hi Onda.
If you had tried the 4m Peak4 you wouldn't be asking this question. Probably the most fun kite in the range with a wide wind range as well.
Get the 4m Peak4 and don't be surprised if you use it more than you think you would. You won't regret it :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Onda (Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:30 pm

i have all the sizes except the 11m (started with the 5m)

but.. i'm think i only really need a 4m and 6m. (which...unfortunately for me..were the last 2 purchased) 🤦

i agree with above.. . the 4m is a super kite. keeps the shape the best imo... the low end is when the tubes are starting with their 15m or so.. and have not needed a smaller kite yet this season)

..the low end on a 6m isnt much worse than a 8m.. but is a whole lot more agile. (fun on waves to me)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:06 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:30 pm

but.. i'm think i only really need a 4m and 6m. (which...unfortunately for me..were the last 2 purchased) 🤦

i agree with above.. . the 4m is a super kite. keeps the shape the best imo... the low end is when the tubes are starting with their 15m or so.. and have not needed a smaller kite yet this season)

..the low end on a 6m isnt much worse than a 8m.. but is a whole lot more agile. (fun on waves to me)
Thanks elguapo. How would you compare the low end of the 5m and 6m? I have 5m but thinking abt if the 6m would add true value or not? 8m looks to be very slow already.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:29 pm

I have the 6m & the 4m. The 4m is amazing - that's partly because the conditions in which you use the 4m are ideal conditions for riding swell/waves downwind. I will say that IMO the 4m Peak is a bit more powerful than a 5m wave kite - more equivalent to my 6m 3 strut.

I was less enthusiastic about the 6m Peak ... until recently. In the last week I had two long sessions on the 6m. The first session the wind was around 10 gusting to 14 knots, then settled down to what I would judge to be 9 - 11 knots. Very, very nice on the 6m. Very predictable & confidence inspiring in the light winds.

I then had a session that started around 12 - 13 knots. I made my way a few kilometres upwind nicely powered. The wind then picked up to about 15 - 16 knots. Had a great downwind run in the building swell. More powered than I have been in the past on the 6m, but got dialled in. The advantages over the 4m: the 6m pulls steadier & more predictably (like any larger kite), whereas the 4m is fast & zippy. I can see myself using the 6m in a little more wind in the future ... which will bridge the gap to the 4m nicely.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:36 pm

My 11m is not flying that great anymore. I'm having to pull the trim in a lot more than last year for it to fly nice. Is this lines shrinking or something, or is there another issue?

This is the kite I use most, also with this bar permanently attached. Probably 40 sessions on this line set and kite. The lines look bleached, but not frayed or worn.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm

ieism wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:36 pm
My 11m is not flying that great anymore. I'm having to pull the trim in a lot more than last year for it to fly nice. Is this lines shrinking or something, or is there another issue?

This is the kite I use most, also with this bar permanently attached. Probably 40 sessions on this line set and kite. The lines look bleached, but not frayed or worn.
Start checking your line lengths, your steering lines have probably shrunk. then do a mixer test on your kite since the yellow spare part line have also shrink a few cm.
These users thanked the author Atte for the post:
ieism (Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:11 pm)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:07 pm

omg wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:06 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks elguapo. How would you compare the low end of the 5m and 6m? I have 5m but thinking abt if the 6m would add true value or not? 8m looks to be very slow already.
I worked the bottom end of the 5 all last summer and only got the 6m this past winter. Super worth it. I wouldn't say it has dropped my bottom end a whole lot in the end. Maybe a knot, but I no longer spend any time on the 5 underpowered. Getting the 6 definitely improved the quality of my light wind days. Way less body dragging to wind lines and what not. It's added a lot of certainty and consistency. Way less body dragging and "working it" this year.

The 6m in 10 knots is like the 5m in 12, just slower and its flatter. I really have no patience for being underpowered and feel like the 6m was a key piece in improving my fun quotient.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
omg (Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Atte wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm
ieism wrote:

Start checking your line lengths, your steering lines have probably shrunk. then do a mixer test on your kite since the yellow spare part line have also shrink a few cm.
So do I measure them, or just line them up with the front lines?

I can find a mixer test for kites like the Soul is it the same for a peak more or less or do I need to check something specific.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm

ieism wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:14 pm
Atte wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm
ieism wrote:

So do I measure them, or just line them up with the front lines?

I can find a mixer test for kites like the Soul is it the same for a peak more or less or do I need to check something specific.
just compare front VS steering lines should be about the same length depending on riders preferences, I prefer some back stall on my bars so I can kill the power by pull the bar in all the way.

mixer test is the same as the soul but I guess you can't do the long mixer test on the peak? i have not that many hours on my peaks yet so I have never done the mixer test yet on the peaks. if no long mixer test possible just do the short one.
https://vimeo.com/groups/kaf/videos/309713929
These users thanked the author Atte for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:53 pm) • ieism (Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:11 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Foil Kites”