jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Tue May 24, 2022 7:45 pm

I get the instinct to try for that upgrade, but have to agree with the critics.

Peaks are pretty much the first kite I no longer feel such an urge to keep seeking better. almost 20 years of kiting and I always wanted to make every single kite better if I could. Not a one was actually good enough...... Well a first gen 10m Royal Era was really close, but every other kite I wanted to be better.

Peaks are as good as I need to do what I wanna do. I dont doubt there will be much better kites and I'll be stoked to get one, but I'll likely wait until a Peak4 needs replacing due to wear.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 3):
ieism (Tue May 24, 2022 9:04 pm) • Fatso (Wed May 25, 2022 8:29 am) • Mikkelza (Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:07 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 24, 2022 10:57 pm

Talking about wear, I found that the only part that seems to get subject to wear is the yellow line of the mixer that runs through the pulleys, and the pulleys themselves which can get stuck due to salt and sand, leading to more wear on the lines.
I was always super casual about the shake bridle, unroll and launch, but please inspect those pulleys every now and then. I was literally one session away from trouble on my 8. Luckily I went to disconnect my bar, ahead of packing for an overseas trip, and I saw the very distressed state of that mixer line.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
jumptheshark (Wed May 25, 2022 1:16 am) • ieism (Wed May 25, 2022 6:49 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:59 pm

After a long test in winter inbetween Peak4 3 m² and Peak5 2,5 m² which was a size I was always waiting for (had also a nice 2,5 m² ConceptAir firefly before)

My final conclusion was:

I now bought another new 3 m² Peak4 and hopefully I will find the time to cut my old preserial Peak4 3 m² down to around 2,5 m² and maybe if I don't sell the Peak5 it could be, that I also try to cut it down to around 2,0 m² but combined with some further "down-up-grades" towards Peak4 (e.g. cutting some fishing lines) to get back a bit more of the unique Peak4 feel, as instant on off depower, instant drift and much more defined and more relaxed feel on the bar.

And don't try to rebuild the Peak5 cutouts in the smaller sizes, they are to many to big and wrongly placed diagonaly in the squares of the ripstop, causing structurell weakness as the coating can't take relevant load, my 2,5 m² had already ripped rips obviously just from final trim in the factory! Not saying all changes in Peak5 are bad, as those are a lot, at minimum 10 basic changes seen, but maybe as the better performance they are more relevant and helpful for the bigger sizes.

So keep and retrim your small Peak4 and have fun with it as long they last, which looks pretty good. :)
Attachments
Peak4vs.5.jpg
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
djdojo (Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:05 am

If you have a bunch of Peaks, but no enough bars here's an easy way to swap you bar around without having to walk the lines (I'm lazy, especially when the snow is deep). :lol:
20220607_103550.jpg
20220607_103249.jpg
When you remove the bar from the kite, I clip these plastic things on that are meant for plastic kitchen bags. I've cut them out to not pinch the lines. So when I disconnect a bar, I put one clip on the side of the bar as well before I disconnect the lines. Next time i'm connecting a bar I only have to connect the lines and it can never be crossed. It can stil be twisted, but that's not really an issue for me when launching.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post (total 3):
Schietwedder (Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:16 am) • loco4viento (Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:09 pm) • bitxopalo (Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:04 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:59 pm
I now bought another new 3 m² Peak4 and hopefully I will find the time to cut my old preserial Peak4 3 m² down to around 2,5 m² and maybe if I don't sell the Peak5 it could be, that I also try to cut it down to around 2,0 m² but combined with some further "down-up-grades" towards Peak4 (e.g. cutting some fishing lines) to get back a bit more of the unique Peak4 feel, as instant on off depower, instant drift and much more defined and more relaxed feel on the bar.
Wow - interesting comments Horst. Is it the extra stability from the additional B-gallery and "fishing wires" that is to blame for the changes you don't like?
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
djdojo (Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:23 am)

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm

both my peak 4's (6m and 8m) have developed tears in the trailing edge that look like very thin rectangles about 1 inch long. they're both probably about 4-5 years old, so in no way am i complaining about the longevity of these kites. i foil a lot, and these kites get most of the use. have others seen this type of wear on their Peaks? I plan to just sail tape them up, but maybe it's time for a new set. I had an old Airrush Ultra just explode (the canopy, not the leading edge) in midair a while back after much use, and i fear the same might happen here.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 pm

I doubt you would experience the same type of blow out on a Peak. Even if a panel near the trailing edge were to blow out, the rest of the canopy is supported and under less load than an LEI canopy. Kite might not fly, or then again it might depending on how much panel blew out, but its not going to be like when the entire unsupported canopy of an LEI blows out. I would imagine the wear is less load related than flapping related and could likely be sail taped with little ill effect. Might become a bit of a quilt back there over time but I bet you could keep an old Peak flying well past its best before date.

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:09 am

last session with my peak... I even had a little swim...

https://youtu.be/oajkNvHpImI

Nayy

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 am

nayy wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:09 am
last session with my peak... I even had a little swim...

https://youtu.be/oajkNvHpImI

Nayy
Hi navy
Nice spot. All kind of sails, seems fun. I wish here would be more People sailing, usually I am the only one.

Remember, if you have more than 10 knot you can Allways try a restart... You have nothing to loose, its easy with the 5m (never get succes with the 11m mainly cos it falls with not enough wind to restart)

See here at 1':30"

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:30 am

[/quote]

Remember, if you have more than 10 knot you can Allways try a restart... You have nothing to loose, its easy with the 5m (never get succes with the 11m mainly cos it falls with not enough wind to restart)

[/quote]

I tried to restart (it's not on the film) but I needed my 2 hands and the I would have lost my foil... there was a lot of current against the wind direction and my foil would have derived upwind... ( this is not noticable on the video...)
Maybe I should try to sit on my board for restart so I have my 2 hands available for the restart, but it's only 22 liter or so... don't know if this will work.

I restarted it already a few times, but this time no luck... too bad I did not notice I turned the bar upside down otherwise the crash would not have happened.

nayy
These users thanked the author nayy for the post:
bitxopalo (Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:45 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”