Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 am

tomtom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 pm
So relaunch is my least priority.
I want more performance. I think peaks magic comes from they lightness and inertialess. Not from lack of L/D. This we only tolerate because everything else is perfect. Imo more performace not must mean less peak magic. So i vote for higher AR. :)
+1 for ignore relaunch, and keep it as light. My wishlist would include focusing on upwind improvement (As TomTom mentions above) and a few knots more top end.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:14 am

I would say we need more less weight of peak, that it should stat in 1 knot wind, in general Peaks using mostly advanced foil riders, who usualy riding in open sea and far from shore, so staying in air in nothing is priority, plus more agility of course. Maybe in coming peak4 6m they will use more advanced and lighter material?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:28 am

I can't imagine dropping the kite due to how light the wind is should be much of a factor with the smaller Peaks? If you're flying a 5m, 4m or 3m you're surely going out in enough wind to keep the kite flying. As I see it, the biggest plus would be improving the performance of the bigger Peaks so that they become a more attractive option for sub 10 knot foiling. I don't know how realistic this is though.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:21 am

a99 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:14 am
I would say we need more less weight of peak, that it should stat in 1 knot wind, in general Peaks using mostly advanced foil riders, who usualy riding in open sea and far from shore, so staying in air in nothing is priority, plus more agility of course. Maybe in coming peak4 6m they will use more advanced and lighter material?
Peak is light enough as it is. There is no need to made it lighter. Most intertialess feeling come from fact that no air is trapped inside.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:31 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:28 am
I can't imagine dropping the kite due to how light the wind is should be much of a factor with the smaller Peaks? If you're flying a 5m, 4m or 3m you're surely going out in enough wind to keep the kite flying. As I see it, the biggest plus would be improving the performance of the bigger Peaks so that they become a more attractive option for sub 10 knot foiling. I don't know how realistic this is though.
It is possible. There is some small brand which made high aspect single skins for buggy racing. They are quite succesfull. Buggy racing is all about perfornance

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:10 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:35 pm
Anyway... what do we really want from next Peak???
I would like the 11 to feel more like the smaller sizes. If they could make the tips ram air with more of a valve instead of the mesh, and the opening that let's air out less on the side and more on the trailing edge I think the kite would float. The outlet on the side makes emptying the tip cells harder and doesn't make the kite fly better i think. That would add no weight and you could still use it on snow.

I might try to diy a cuben fiber system like the ozone hyperlink in my peak 4 tips. That would make the kite better for me.

The 5th line needs to be a different material, it tangles too easy with the other bridles now when packing and making it another colour would also help. On my 11m I've replaced it, and it makes a big difference in tangles.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:57 pm

ieism wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:10 pm

I would like the 11 to feel more like the smaller sizes. If they could make the tips ram air with more of a valve instead of the mesh, and the opening that let's air out less on the side and more on the trailing edge I think the kite would float. The outlet on the side makes emptying the tip cells harder and doesn't make the kite fly better i think. That would add no weight and you could still use it on snow.

I might try to diy a cuben fiber system like the ozone hyperlink in my peak 4 tips. That would make the kite better for me.

The 5th line needs to be a different material, it tangles too easy with the other bridles now when packing and making it another colour would also help. On my 11m I've replaced it, and it makes a big difference in tangles.
Interesting - a couple of questions: Why do you think the position of the outlet would make a difference? Are you using in 5 line mode or are you just talking about the B-safe span line (can't remember what it is called)? If so, what kind of line makes a difference?

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:39 pm

The water drain at the kite is not working great when trying to empty it when you are swimming. An opening on the trailing edge would help a lot, you could do it one handed then. Also when restarting the kite from the water it would drain faster I feel. I dont think it will fly worse if you did that.

I have stiffer lines from the b-safe span line to the middle line. This is the part that gets wrapped up in the white bridles the most, and the stiff line prevents that a bit more. By the way, I also hate how that line is attached with just loops and a knot. Since the b-safe sometimes get tangled I would prefer a faster method to undo the b-safe line as its often faster to take apart and rerun them if you have a tangle. I don't really have as much tangles in the smaller sizes somehow. The lines are shorter of course.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:52 pm

I agree that the vent at the trailing edge of the tip cells is not perfectly located for water drainage, but I don't think that is its purpose. Put the drain or vent at the Trailing edge and the tip cells might not pressurize as effectively as having it along the edge. As the cell pressure builds it tensions the seam in which the vent is located helping to further hold it closed, further increasing rigidity. Move the vent to the Trailing edge and you might be compromising tip cell air pressure while in flight.

I would far rather see refinements in the kites performance than how well it sheds water from the tip cells. It does that well enough as is when you take the time.

I am also reluctant to welcome any changes that decrease overall robustness and longevity.

As this is my first season on them, I'm still squarely on the honeymoon and am perfectly content with them as they are.

I'm not likely interested in a 6m unless it outperforms the 5 I have,,, so yeah, I want to see faster turning, more lift and better top end that make the bigger sizes fly like smaller ones!
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlyingRoots
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 64 kg
Local Beach: Sandbanks, Bournemouth, UK
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Cabo de la Vela, Colombia
Sal, Cape Verde
Sandbanks, Bournemouth, UK
Style: Water (flat + waves), Land
Gear: Renting for water:'(
HQ Beamer 3.6 (second hand) for land
Been thanked: 0

Postby FlyingRoots » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Hello !

As I am now living in the middle of UK, water spots are less accessible and I am trying to compensate with kite landboarding. I found an old HQ beamer 3.6 second hand to give a try with a ATB board and had some fun on grass but I would like now to switch to depowerable kite with harness more similar to water to try more consistent riding + jumping eventually. (Being pulled by the arm using handles with the beamer doesn't make the rides easy !).

Would the FS peak4 be a good landboard choice (I am doing landboard in a meadow with 6-15~18 knots but inconsistent), and allow me to progress in consistent riding + jumping or should I try to save for a more expensive and more complete kite (FS Soul, Ozone Hyperlink,..) with better lift, stability etc.. that I can also use on water ? Is the FS Peak only a "entry kite for discovering depowerable hooked riding" ?

My budget is quite small so the FS Peak 4 is quite attractive in this aspect (even more if I find a second hand) but I don't wanna invest and feel limited after a year of riding :/

Thanks for your help !

Return to “Foil Kites”