For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Flyboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:37 pm

lezo wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:23 pm
Anecdote about going upwind: While I also find the Peak4 on foil much better than LEIs on TTs or surfs, the other day I tried to follow two new guys on the water, who were pushing strong on foils with quite big foilkites, without any brand labeling. My angles were so bad as compared to theirs that I started to say myself that Peak4 really sucks upwind.

That was until the guys came onshore and they turned out to be Nico Parlier and Axel Mazella, among the very best foilkite racers actually. They just arrived here (Flag Beach, Fuerteventura) to train and to test new Ozone prototypes. So finally I remain satisfied with my Peak4 upwind angles, and I'm glad how well I can go upwind even toeside, looking to carve into the next wave to surf..
Yeah: I don't have any problem with the upwind potential of Peaks - far superior to a TT or SB & more than adequate to allow effortless upwind stages followed by off the wind carving. I'm just a bit disappointed in the lack of top end. Just doesn't seem possible to crank as hard as with an LEI (even a non-racy one).

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Peter made a good point about folded over tips causing delayed or strange taking shape when launching. This is for sure true, so I’d better clarify. With the tip folded over too much the tip can fall into the bridle and do that foil kite thing. Hate that!

I only fold over a portion of the tip cell onto itself....like 2-3 inches and not over any of the bridle. The tip cell is thicker material than the rest of the kite. I lay the edge of my board along the fold. Doesn’t take much to hold the kite with the board acting as a windbreak, and only folding that little bit doesn’t mess up launching
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
20kts (Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:19 pm) • lezo (Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am)
Rating: 6.06%

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:07 pm

How does the original (first version) Peak 6m hold up against a Peak 4 for foiling? Is it worth giving it a try?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:28 pm

No

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:17 pm
Peter made a good point about folded over tips causing delayed or strange taking shape when launching. This is for sure true, so I’d better clarify. With the tip folded over too much the tip can fall into the bridle and do that foil kite thing. Hate that!

I only fold over a portion of the tip cell onto itself....like 2-3 inches and not over any of the bridle. The tip cell is thicker material than the rest of the kite. I lay the edge of my board along the fold. Doesn’t take much to hold the kite with the board acting as a windbreak, and only folding that little bit doesn’t mess up launching
Thanks for the board tip, I tested yesterday, it worked great!

Now I would only need a killer tip about safe and tangle-free self-landing slightly overpowered, without the 5th line...

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:14 pm

"Now I would only need a killer tip about safe and tangle-free self-landing slightly overpowered, without the 5th line..."

If you have enough beach space I find the Kite Catcher's work well for Single Skin Foil Landings
Attachments
KiteCatcher.jpg
KiteCatcher.jpg (160.21 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Haha!

Kind of goes against the whole less is more creed Ive worked to cultivate with Peaks. Love walking to the launch with a foil over my shoulder and a peak in a harness and the clothes on my back.... nothing left unattended while riding and the freedom to come in wherever’s most convenient.

In 20-30+ Simple works great. Put the kite at either edge. I prefer flag line on the bottom but doesn’t really matter. One hand on the bar, the other on the release, sheet in all the way and get the kite stalling backward. Fire the release and move toward the side the kite is on until directly upwind. Walk the leash line to the kite and secure. Kite might roll once but I keep track and reverse it before securing with my harness.

Have been moving to shorter and shorter lines in those winds which helps both launching and landing. With 12m lines you need only take a few steps and the kite has no time to roll or tangle.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:54 pm

Got my "kitecatcher" always with me when I go out with my Peaks.. If needed I just put my foil at the place where I want my Peak, facing the LE from the foil to the wind so the kite and briddle hook on the LE and not the sharp TE of the foil.
Last edited by Janus on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:12 pm

I had a 4 line bar on my small peak and then built a 5th line using an old 24m line i had. Its easy to attach a 5th line and so much nicer to selfland.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

I really did not understand problem with landing peaks. Especialy hydrofoil sizes relative to wind strenght. This is what i do and it work tangle free every single time. I dont even use leash on peaks. Just land kite to side as if you have helper. Last couple of meters do it really fast so kite literary crash and flatten itself to ground. Its important to commit so kite really loose shape. Kite will stay shapeless for second or two. This is plenty of time to simultanely
A/ disconnect from kite
B/ walking toward kite to slacken lines which prevent kite to gain shape
C./ go to the kite via one line and ditch rest of bar.

Work every single time. Even heavy overpowered while snowkiting

Return to “Foil Kites”