Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby elguapo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:02 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm
I really did not understand problem with landing peaks. Especialy hydrofoil sizes relative to wind strenght. This is what i do and it work tangle free every single time. I dont even use leash on peaks. Just land kite to side as if you have helper. Last couple of meters do it really fast so kite literary crash and flatten itself to ground. Its important to commit so kite really loose shape. Kite will stay shapeless for second or two. This is plenty of time to simultanely
A/ disconnect from kite
B/ walking toward kite to slacken lines which prevent kite to gain shape
C./ go to the kite via one line and ditch rest of bar.

Work every single time. Even heavy overpowered while snowkiting
i do same. speed is limited on peaks.. just crash it into ground

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Sounds like a good way to land if "overpowered".

But in normal winds, where you just land shortly, with the goal to start again a bit later, backing it down is great.

Whereas when windy and you crash it to the ground on an open beach, and hold a frontline when walking to the kite, it will roll over in the wind, and lines be twisted, so you have to use some time to get it fixed and ready to launch.

But good to know a way for the "final" landing for the day, at least if wind have picked up.

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 pm

No it will not be twisted. Go to kite holding back line and control line tension /walking speed or line hold/ - its quite intuitive. In normal /low/ wind when you can land via back stall it even stay in place when you crash it like that. Maybe not indefinitely but long enough to walk to kite and weight it. What is is important is really flat it - its not gentle "put it on tip".

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 pm

For sure, 90% of the time
Simply crash it and walk.

I was talking those times it’s windy enough you have a hard time setting it down

You can commit and crash hard while grabbing a line fully, but I’ve had it flop and it gives me the willies holding a line in real winds. Rather just use the safety and move upwind. Less tangle. I know their just peaks and people are free to forgo a leash or release if they feel confident, but It’s irresponsible to advise any of that for windy conditions.

4 line safety works perfect in big winds. Have the kite low and move your ass to get upwind of the kite rather than just let it roll.

On snow I prefer 5 line for flawless reride as per design.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm

Interesting, gotta try that just to know it's an option :thumb:

8) Peter

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm

i dropped my peak 6m today into the drink (my fault, flew past it on a wave), and it came down in a heap, but upside down. within seconds it was almost completely submerged; i suspect the top folded area (don't know the technical term) filled with water. anyway, i realized no chance for relaunch as i couldn't even see the kite. was only about 100 yards from shore with dead on shore winds, so though it was often like pulling an anchor, i made it in no problem. the kite was completely underwater even as i pulled it in on shore, no sign of it at all...like reeling in a fish.

i guess i could've swam to it out there and tried to get it 'upright', but since i couldn't see it (i was still connected via my bar though), i figured best to just start swimming. any one have this happen with better results?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:25 pm

Dude! Wrong move in my opinion. Any kind of undertow or sweep and at worst your in trouble at best risk a lost or damaged kite. Not designed to pull through water! You gotta go to the kite. If relaunch is a lost cause, wind up the lines to it promptly! Wind right up to the grey bridle lines and get a hold of a tip, EMPTY IT, be sure to keep your legs clear of any bridle and roll the bar in the kite from tip to tip nice and tight, focusing the roll along the LE. Roll the bridles more or less in the roll and trailing out the TE, but the bridle is not the issue, turning a sea anchor into a compact empty roll is. Empty the other tip when you get to it and finish the roll. Elevate the LE and swim to complete emptying the kite into a suitably small package, fold if possible and put it on the board. Swim in. Can be done pretty easy in anything but breaking surf and with a bit of practice it’s a clean unroll fly n dry once safely ashore.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
jkrug (Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:41 am

One note about kite twisting - It cannot twist when lay on ground - What is important is keep it from flying. It needs line tension to fly. Peak is much less prone to flying because it didn't have its own shape. Just do it quick and swift and it will just work. Usually i only back stall in very little wind. Everything other side flat it. What is important is release tension of lines on downwind side of kite before it regain shape, while keeping tension on upwind side.
Worst case scenario here is 3m kite which is inherently shapeless in 25 knt wind. It take like 1.5m line slack on one side to be completely safe. Never have any problem. Also if there is any wind shadow - use it. But you must relay on inertia while put in shadow - otherwise it will loose shape as soon as you enter shadow and drift to powerzone.
Last edited by tomtom on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 am

It is getting better but i still have to reattach all lines every now and then because my peak rolled around due to sandbag slipping off before the start or after landing. Onetime i had a little loopknot that connected two bridle lines, which took me about an hour to find in strong winds ontop of a mountain. My other snowkite is a jn randas which has ultrathick bridles and is so much easier to lay out and has not once caused troubles. Peak4 is a real joy to deal with most of the time, but if youre not careful it can turn into a shapeless mess.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am

joriws wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:55 pm
bragnouff wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:36 am
Maybe it's different on the snow but it would also be my opinion that, when kitefoiling, my 9m wave LEI has better upwind abilities than the 5m Peak4. I also think it would have a higher top speed, although the limiting factor for that is in my thick surf foil which tends to max out at about 22-23 kts when pushing it hard, so top speed isn't really a factor there. I'm pretty sure I can point a bit higher with the LEI, which seems to have a wider wind window, and more forward pull on the edge of the window. (definitely noticeable when body dragging out).
On same session I also rode FS Speed5 12m model which gave me 72km/h speed according to ka72.com, when Peak4 5m max speed was 65km/h. There might be natural variance in wind levels / directions during hours of riding on that day so it is not 100% accurate to compare my track only to myself. Below is the 50km track for the day, on same track is 3x (swapping wing with kite with friends on ice) running Duotono Echo 6m wing, 1x Speed5 12m, 1x Royal Era 12m and Peak4-5m session in the end. I can try to re-upload track by traction device instead of riding speed to do the angle comparison by device, which I just said that it is not accurate.
Here is a screenshot from GPSAR with speed polar. I dropped 3-"sessions" of kitewing away to help polar reading. Just note that I did not run max angle or VMG tests, just went around marker with speed and some speed runs etc. The mark mark isat 7th grid line from the right. Like I said the wind varied during the day so this polar is not 100% accurate and different kites will have some polar offset, but sort of illustrating that Peak4 5m can do well on angles and speeds compared to Speed5 12m and Era 12m. The polar wind vector is all kite run combined wind estimation. The 0 direction (full upwind) is from upwind tacking, speed5 was much easier to have inertia speed and flying through the tag, peak4 slowed down.
gpsar_capture.png

Return to “Foil Kites”