14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:24 am

Lets C if Armin can shed some light on using ANY BAR! Why would they design a bar that matches the kite??

I STRONGLY AGREE that the Peaks will Fly with any bar. However I will bet that with out the connect Bar you will NOT get Peak performance. :jump: :nono: :superfly: :shout: :chorus: :desperado: :desperado:

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:09 am

Definitely please make the 6,5m2!!!!!

That would be an awesome addition and so many people would buy it instantly!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai
GK Trix
FS Peak4
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 am

Blah blah.... a kite is blissfully unaware of the bar that is attached to it. As long as safety works effectively, that the differential between front and rear lines can be achieved to cover the range of AOA that the kite needs, that's pretty much all that matters. The rest is actually a matter of preference. Size of CL, distance between harness and min bar position, type of trim, PU sleeved vs raw dyneema ... each to their own! High Y vs Low V front lines,... that's usually not that significant. They use a High Y on the Connect bar because they designed it to be a 5th line setup, and that makes it clean like 4 lines at the bar level.
Good points for that Connect bar to be super light, though. If you measure performance of the Peak by weight in your backpack for backcountry, then sure, there are some benefits on using that bar.

They designed a bar because they had to offer something for their products, but it doesn't mean it's the only or best option for everyone.

pvb
Rare Poster
Gear: North, RRD, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pvb » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:36 am

+1 :-)

Peter
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:50 am
seppalord wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 am
Also, it depends on what level of foiling you're at. As I'm still basically foiling back & forth working on transitions, & riding small swells, the benefits of Peak4s would be more limited ... I'm guessing.
The peaks are so easy to fly and manouver that you will progress much faster with foiling than with a lei kite. I experienced that myself. Everything felt much easier with the peaks because of their superb flying characteristics

Ha haa, very true I believe.

The other (only) guy in Denmark who got Peak4's just before I did, for riding waves and freeride, said for fun, when we exchanged experiences: "It is almost too easy" :rollgrin:

Very describing regarding the Peak4 kites :D

8) Peter

verkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Any beach with wind, warm water, beautiful women and cold beer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby verkiter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 am

Has anyone tried the new Peaks on the original Peak bar? Probably the lightest most simple bar ever made No adjustable trim straps- depower controlled only by bar throw. It worked pisser on the Peak 1 and when let out kite would totally depower.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 am

Pisser = good ??

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:53 am

bragnouff wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 am
Blah blah.... a kite is blissfully unaware of the bar that is attached to it.
Hmmmmmm.......
Original Rebel strongly disagree
:redcard:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:15 pm

The North/Duotone Rebel has very little in common with the Fysurfer Peak4. You would have a hard time finding more different kites and there can be no meaningful comparisons drawn from experience with one to the other.

I've used both the 5 and 4m Peak4s on 4 different bars over 15 sessions all on the same hydrofoil from 9 to 34 knots . All precicely trimmed with dry land flight testing. 17, 20, 22 and 27m lines, both high and low split, with and without trim cleat, standard chicken loop and slider set up without chickenloop, all single front line release safety.

17 years of experience in the sport. Have been rebuilding, trimming and maintaining bars since the beginning.

I can assure you unequivocally that you can get the absolute most out of your Peak4 with any properly trimmed 4 line bar.

There is a pretty short sheeting range on them. as with any other kite, slightly larger throw as you increase kite size, but for the 4 and 5m sizes it is vey similar to other kites with very small required sheeting throw such as BRM clouds. As such, no trim is required throuhout the kites range (10-20 knots on the 5m, 14-34 knots on the 4m), however, if you would like to ride the Peak4 unhooked, a trim cleat is advisable.

I'm sure the stock Flysurfer bar for this model is great. The finishing and though that has gone into the details on the kite are excellent and I am sure the same attention to detail has gone into the design and construction of the bar.

If you take the time to go back through this extensive thread you will find that Armin himself states that the Peak4 works just as well on any suitable 4 line bar trimmed to have all 4 lines the same length at full power, and that they work well with either high or low front line split and that both single front line release or the included B safe 5th line are appropriate, with on land re ride being the advantage to the B safe system.

If you insist in you opinion that flying the kites on a non stock bar will have a detrimental effect on kite performance, I invite you to test the assumption yourself and report your spicific findings.

Until then, the concensus among those that have experience with the kites, including the designer, is pretty clear.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:55 pm

I am pretty sure jumptheshark is right, ANY bar will work spot on.

If it was very C shaped inflatable kites, there might be a difference yes (or not).

But not on quite small and flat bridled kites like this :naughty:

8) Peter

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:20 am

I ride them with the Pinxto bar and it works great.
Even though it works with any bar, the FEELING is much greater with a light (minimalistic?) bar IMO. Same with Clouds.
And I understand the connect bar is lighter (840gr) then most other bars (like the click bar for instance which is very heavy)

after 5, then 4, the 3m is on its way :-)

Return to “Foil Kites”