Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:46 pm

mkkite wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:20 am
Deep water pack down: any tips?

Finally got some time on my 8m in marginal conditions. I need to do deep water packdowns and am having a hard time getting everything packed up before it’s water logged. My lazy closed cell approach doesn’t work since it doesn’t seem I have nearly the same amount of time. So I’d love to hear how others are getting the water out and kite rolled up after they’ve wound up lines and got to the kite. Thanks everyone.
I usually just roll it up, starting at one wing tip. Don’t really have to worry about deflating the air or anything. I just roll up the bar including as much bridle as you can to get to one wingtip. Then use the bar to roll it up. How I do my 3m. Suppose to get a 13m Peak this week to demo and review. I’ll see how it works on that size.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
loco4viento (Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:26 pm) • wheat (Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:52 am

seppalord wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Can some give me a reference, when the 11 resp. the 13 will get uncomfortable to ride??
I have the 13m and it gets uncomfortable from 12 knots. - Tom
These users thanked the author Tomlutz for the post:
seppalord (Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

wheat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, Lawrence, Kansas
Style: Foil
Gear: 5.5m Cloud, 8m SST, 12m Gong Strutless, 633 Moses, 91cm Mast

Postby wheat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 pm

F-Bear wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:21 pm
Hi all, quick question: which size Peak4 will continue to fly in the lowest wind? That is, static flying....not riding? I've got a 5m and trying to decide it a larger size would assist with my local wind conditions of excessive lulls. I am guessing the 13m is the answer, but am not sure.
F-Bear, I have appreciated your comments about the Peak and other foil kites. I am curious what the answer is for your location. FS stock specs from their peak4 wind range page have the 5+ m sizes all floating in 3 knot wind. These specs might have been driven from a snow-kite usage. Hopefully, others will chime in on real world experience.

Personally my largest peak 4 is the 5m, I am more excited about adding a larger front foil wing to get going in that next lighter increment of wind. I am 85kg/190 lb on a Moses 633 /1250cm front wing. Would a 5m Peak4 on a 2000 sq. cm wing be equivalent starting conditions to a 8m/11m/13m on a 1250 sq cm wing?

Best of luck in your pursuit.

https://flysurfer.com/project/peak4/
PEAK4 3 4 5 8 11 13
Land (knots) 4-38 4-32 3-26 3-20 3-15 3-13
The wind range chart is to be used as a point of reference. It is based on a rider who weighs around 75kg (165lbs.) Actual use will vary depending on your weight, skill level, board size/type (twintip or hydrofoil) and wind conditions on water or land. When choosing a kite size, always use common sense and repeatedly choose a smaller size if you are not sure, especially when using the kite on land.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:39 pm

wheat wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 pm

Personally my largest peak 4 is the 5m, I am more excited about adding a larger front foil wing to get going in that next lighter increment of wind. I am 85kg/190 lb on a Moses 633 /1250cm front wing. Would a 5m Peak4 on a 2000 sq. cm wing be equivalent starting conditions to a 8m/11m/13m on a 1250 sq cm wing?
My experience has shown, that the 5m won't get your ass on the board in low winds, which makes the lager foil useless.

I have flown the 5m with 21m lines. Maybe you can extend it by 1-2 knots with extra long lines to get a stronger push when diving/looping the kite.
These users thanked the author seppalord for the post:
wheat (Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 am)

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 pm

Anyone have any recommendations on how to recover a small Peak 4 after slacking the lines?

I’m 6 sessions in on the 5m and really enjoying the kite. It is my first foil kite. I’m 75 kg and riding the Cloud 9 X24 foil (1138 sq-cm).

I was out on my 5m Peak 4 yesterday in really light wind (barely any white caps on the ocean) and completely slacked the lines (my fault) while riding straight at the kite on a waist high wave. The kite folded up, reopened briefly and then dropped into the water. Wind was too light to even try to relaunch.

If the Peak 4 folds up after slacking the lines is it better to power up or depower the kite to get it to open back up?

Any other tips?

F-Bear
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: SpaceBall Beach
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Gear: Kites: Switch Element V3 9m, Switch Nitro V4 14m, Best Waroo 17m, Airush DNA 13m, Pansh A15 12m with Jackomixer, Genesis 6m with Jakomixer, Flysurfer Peak4 5m
Boards: Lightwave Wing, Slingshot Wakefoiler with H2 wing
Bars: Mash-up (favorite is older Airush with ozone trimmer, Switch CL, custom lines), older Switch with ozone trimmer and modified quick release so it actually works.

Postby F-Bear » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 am

Wheat - I think we are neighbors.....I have not made it out to the KC area in a while but great bunch of guys and awesome lakes and winds. For sure, the Peak4 is just PERFECT for our gusty midwest winds.

I should have looked at the Flysurfer site...duh. Based on that, a bigger Peak is not going to help much with static flying in our low lulls.

I am no expert, but will chime in anyway on your foil wing size question...I don't think it will help. Your gotta get up on top of the board first, and if the kite/wind won't do that doesn't matter how big your foil is. Would love to try my Peak4 5m on a big board that floats me, and loop the kite to slowly build up speed and then get on the foil....but it is just a theory. The idea is you START out kneeling on the board so the kite doesn't need to haul you out of the water, so the max power needed is far less. The kite just has to accelerate you (kneeling on the board) to a speed sufficient to fly the foil. I could be full of it, but seems this would take less power than that required to lift me up and onto the board.

tswierkocki = this happens to me when landboarding....for me what works is to power it up but not to much. Just enough to get tension on all 4 lines so it fills the canopy and flies again. To much sheeting and it tends to wad up the kite even worse. And of course, change course to go upwind.

FB
These users thanked the author F-Bear for the post:
wheat (Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 am)

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:52 am

tswierkocki wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Anyone have any recommendations on how to recover a small Peak 4 after slacking the lines?

I’m 6 sessions in on the 5m and really enjoying the kite. It is my first foil kite. I’m 75 kg and riding the Cloud 9 X24 foil (1138 sq-cm).

I was out on my 5m Peak 4 yesterday in really light wind (barely any white caps on the ocean) and completely slacked the lines (my fault) while riding straight at the kite on a waist high wave. The kite folded up, reopened briefly and then dropped into the water. Wind was too light to even try to relaunch.

If the Peak 4 folds up after slacking the lines is it better to power up or depower the kite to get it to open back up?

Any other tips?
If it's front stalled into a ball, sheet in the back lines as much as you can. I've had them in a big tumbling ball, and been able to recover them by pulling in the bar hard.

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:13 am

Same thing happened to me yesterday. My 5m just balled up as I was riding wave towards it. It was quite light wind and the kite completely colapsed on me.It had happened to me before and i was always able to recover the kite in the air until this time. Canopy opened on the water but I just could not reverse launch it by pulling steering lines. I don't think that front of the kite filled up with water that much. Kite looked like it is going to go up but it never unglued from the water. Any tips for the relauch in such conditions?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:18 am

Pretty sure Horst Sergio recommended repeated rocking up onto a wingtip with delicate playing of one steering line in order to get any water out of the LE and the kite pointed skyward. He noted you have to be careful not to pull or hold tension on the steering line too hard or long as the kite can quickly end up flat on its back. If you go back through some of his relaunch vid clips way back in this thread, you can see the process for yourself. It definitely lends insight.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
kriskris (Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:25 pm)

kriskris
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 162
Local Beach: Crack Park
Gear: 633 Onda Peak4 8,5,4,3m

Postby kriskris » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 pm

I have watched some clips made by Sergio. It seems that I was choking the kite trying to reverse launch it. Also it seems that it is easier to just lift one tip off the water and then fly kite up. Instead I was trying to take off completely in reversed position. I guess i need to train this in a more controlled environment. Before I go to ride waves.

Return to “Foil Kites”