Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Jyoder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:07 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:43 pm
Rode mega winds with the 3m yesterday, barely deviating the kite from noon.

Have to keep some rear line tension unless heading straight down wind at the top end like that, otherwise you can see the beginnings of tip collapse. Short lines also help a lot with keeping the kite calm.
Yeah, kite does get squirrelly when excessively depowered and tips start folding- you lose some turning authority and the kite starts bouncing around a bit.

Couple scary moments where a lull meant sudden loss of kite pull and so old LEI muscle memory meant I sheeted in hard to stop falling off the board, this caused the peak to back stall hard into power zone and then super surge when I remembered to sheet out. Gotta develop different kite habits.

Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:22 pm

So, should I get the 4m or 5m next for 14-24knots? 😆

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Definitely some nuance to learn. It comes quick enough. I think once you get down to 3m sizes it almost doesn't matter what kind of kite it is. They're all easy to oversheet and stall.

As a full package, I much prefer it to my experiences in high wind foiling on peaks. I am much more comfortable in big winds now than I was earlier in the summer when I first got the 3m.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Get the 4m. It's hands down my favourite. Love the 5m but it has nothing on the 4. 14-24 is pretty much exactly my range on the 4.

Sweet spot for me on the 5m is 11 to 16 knots (21m lines, Lift 170, average weight)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:22 pm
So, should I get the 4m or 5m next for 14-24knots? 😆
4m, like JTS advises too.
It’s a slowed down 3m.. really nice.

And then you’ll need a 5 for the 11-18 kts..
Perhaps a 6 Instead will be fine too..
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Onda (Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 am)
Rating: 6.67%

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Just get the 3m, 4m and 5m Peak4 kites and be done with it. You won't regret the purchase and you'll have kites that will cover from 8-10 knots to 25 plus depending on weight and setup. Each size kite has a sweet spot that makes you glad you picked a tiny, simple snow kite as your favourite foiling kite. The Peak4 designer deserves a medal!

With the relatively low price of these 3 kites it's a good deal in every way ... apart from having to change bars if you don't have one for every kite :D

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:23 am

3, 4 and 6 m could be a good quiver. I find myself only using the 5 in the bottom of its range and then changing to the 4m as soon as possible, so extra bottom end of the 6 could be nice.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:29 am

Trying to decide between starting with a 6m (assuming they are available soon) or a 4m, for a projected trip to Cabarete. I figure the 4m would be ideal for windier 15 - 20 knot days, while the 6m would be good for lighter 10 - 14 knots days. The 4m would replace my 6m 3 strut, the 6m would replace my 8m 3 strut. The 4m might be more fun, but the 6m would presumably make more of a difference compared to the tube kite. What to do (I really can't afford more than one new kite at the minute)?

Oldman_Dave
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge & Zephyr kites
Nobile Board

Postby Oldman_Dave » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am

Flyboy you could buy the 5m and miss the slight extra bottom end the 6m should bring. It's a cracker of a kite.

Ok I have a question for those of you who ride in the surf. I am just getting better and better at getting out in bigger swell and getting longer rides. My favourite combo is 5m & axis 820 wing.

Yesterday I had an amazing session but eventually pushed the envelope too far. Caught a great swell ride and as one disappeared another formed up and I was straight on that. Already fast I caught the 2nd one too deep downwind. The peak balled up and didn't recover. I had a swim in.

Now that I'm getting better at getting on swell, I clearly need to rely a bit less on the great drift ability of this kite. I need to pay attention more and treat it seriously if the kite balls up, carve away harder and maybe power bar up fully?

Aside from that does anyone have any tips for how they fly the kite when going deep & fast downwind on swell. I have been just sitting the kite right in the middle of the power zone, turned up a little, and depowering on the bar. What do you do? Loop the kite? Work it? Bar in or out?
These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
Onda (Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:08 pm
Onda wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 am
Just changed my foil board from 120 x 49 x 5 cm³ to 100 x 43 x 2 cm³ (length x width x thickness), in combi with the Moses W633.
I found out very quickly that a "no-volume" pocket foil board is not a good combination with the Peaks to manage the very lowest end of the Peaks´ ranges... :oops:
The Peaks don´t deliver much pull during launch, which in combination with this very low-volume board causes me to sink into the water immideately after launch when kite power is at its lower limit.
It takes 2 kts away from my low end, I´d say.
I was stupid enough to sell my larger board before I tried the new board first time :roll:
Which pocket board? Why I love my Moses Wave 100cm. Still has volume to help with those super light days.
The Anton Skater Custom 100 cm. Only 16 mm thin, totally stiff. 100 % hand made in Germany by Sven Anton.
https://anton-kiteboards.de/produkt/ant ... -skater-2/

Return to “Foil Kites”