jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:51 am

papasmerf wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:38 pm
13m chrono v3 UL (or new v4) back to back with the peak 4 13m. very different kites i know,
I can’t speak to the 13 but based on my experience with 11 I’m not enthusiastic. I have flown chrono v3 13 vs peak 4 11.

On the low end the chrono pulls good water starts when the peak will not. The big peak flys around but just not fast enough to make a spike. Maybe it would work if you had a 110l winger board you could stand on. The problem with the chrono is you can keep riding when the kite will not fly static creating risk for a swim. The peak loses power but stays in the air. You can almost always body drag to shore. Have swam with both and deep water pack down much easier with the peak. On the high end the Chrono smokes a big peak in every way. Wind ranges for me foiling on a medium size floaty MHL board would be say 8-17 knots on the Chrono vs 9-11 knots on 11m peak. Chrono V4 is next level and my 11m peak is long gone.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:04 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 pm
My bars are currently set up for my wave kites. They have extra pigtails on the back lines. Will probably have to change this, which will mean taking them off the flying lines & putting them on the kites instead.
That seems more complicated to me than it should be.

If your bars are perfect for your current kites and you’d like to continue using them with your current kites plus the peaks, then why not leave your bars alone and just add the appropriate length pigtails to the front or rear of your peaks? It will take minutes to figure this out.

Then your bars will be perfect for all your kites.

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: SLINGSHOT, NORTH, moses, some ozone,
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:43 am

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:51 am
papasmerf wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:38 pm
13m chrono v3 UL (or new v4) back to back with the peak 4 13m. very different kites i know,
I can’t speak to the 13 but based on my experience with 11 I’m not enthusiastic. I have flown chrono v3 13 vs peak 4 11.

On the low end the chrono pulls good water starts when the peak will not. The big peak flys around but just not fast enough to make a spike. Maybe it would work if you had a 110l winger board you could stand on. The problem with the chrono is you can keep riding when the kite will not fly static creating risk for a swim. The peak loses power but stays in the air. You can almost always body drag to shore. Have swam with both and deep water pack down much easier with the peak. On the high end the Chrono smokes a big peak in every way. Wind ranges for me foiling on a medium size floaty MHL board would be say 8-17 knots on the Chrono vs 9-11 knots on 11m peak. Chrono V4 is next level and my 11m peak is long gone.
Was your v3 the UL version?

Will the v4 do better flying static than v3 UL?

Thanks for info

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 am

Standard. V3 UL and 4 are similar in ability to stay in the air. But 4 is farther from a peak.

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: SLINGSHOT, NORTH, moses, some ozone,
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:15 am

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 am
Standard. V3 UL and 4 are similar in ability to stay in the air. But 4 is farther from a peak.
i have a v3 UL 11m which i think is one of my best kites of all time,,,saved my session so many times now. have a hyperlink 7m UL v1 which I am not so impressed with yet (could be me) it's like the kite doesn't fill with air,,or seems unusually unstable in gusty wind. anyway,, i had just watched horst's video and was pretty impressed.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 am

Apologies, double post.
Last edited by Trent hink on Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:13 pm
I know this has been discussed before, but the conclusions seem to have been ... inconclusive. What is the front/back line balance with the Peaks? Should I expect to shorten the back flying lines, lengthen them, or leave them as is? This is always a tricky thing when flying a new kite, but I expect it to be harder to pin down due to the feeling of the Peaks being significantly different from anything I've flown before.
Front and back lines equal is the best place to start. If you are heavy-handed like me, just trim it in a bit while you are standing there on the beach, so that the kite can't backstall if you sheet in all the way.

I got a chance to briefly try my 3 meter a couple days ago. I was a bit worried about how the 3 would handle, because it was pretty windy when I put it up.

The wind puked out right after I got up and rode several meters, but the handling is not much different from the 4.

The first time I used the 4, I ended up being crazy overpowered. One of my much more experienced friends told me that the best thing to do is use backstall to get control.

These peak 4s excell at the bottom end of their wind range, but they still work well and with good control in wind ranges well above what is good for hydrofoiling.

If you are overpowered, the kite will flap a bit. If you are way overpowered and sheet out too much, you might experience the lower wingtip or even the entire leading edge folding in.

This is no problem. It does mean that you should be on a smaller kite, but the situation is easily solved by sheeting in a bit and applying more drag.

(Of course, on a hydrofoil this is gonna feel dicey, but maybe you should be on a smaller kite or a conventional board)

If you get freaked out with your hydrofoil, you can just body-drag back to the beach, grab your wide light-wind surfboard and immediately go out and have a good time.

As I have now reached a level that I would describe as "marginally competent," I can confirm that the tactic of purposely oversheeting the kite works well; but it does take a light touch which will probably require practice.

If you are new to these kites, the best thing to do is fly them moderately to well powered, and trim the bar for no backstall.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 am

loco4viento wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:04 am
Flyboy wrote:
My bars are currently set up for my wave kites. They have extra pigtails on the back lines. Will probably have to change this, which will mean taking them off the flying lines & putting them on the kites instead.

If your bars are perfect for your current kites and you’d like to continue using them with your current kites plus the peaks, then why not leave your bars alone and just add the appropriate length pigtails to the front or rear of your peaks? It will take minutes to figure this out.

Well, it's six of one/half a dozen of the other - whether to adjust the flying lines for the Peaks or for my wave kites. In reality, I expect to use my smaller bar/shorter lines with the Peaks & the longer bar/longer lines with my wave kites. In general, I only use the short bar/lines with my 5m wave kite which doesn't get used that much. Going forward I will likely be foiling 90% of the time anyway. My only concern is figuring out how to set up the Peaks to start, as in my experience it often takes a while to dial in a new kite - especially something as different as the Peaks

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 am
loco4viento wrote:
Flyboy wrote:

Well, it's six of one/half a dozen of the other - whether to adjust the flying lines for the Peaks or for my wave kites. In reality, I expect to use my smaller bar/shorter lines with the Peaks & the longer bar/longer lines with my wave kites. In general, I only use the short bar/lines with my 5m wave kite which doesn't get used that much. Going forward I will likely be foiling 90% of the time anyway. My only concern is figuring out how to set up the Peaks to start, as in my experience it often takes a while to dial in a new kite - especially something as different as the Peaks
Don't overthink it Flyboy. If your bars are equal line length bars, as most are, just connect it to your Peak4 and it will fly just fine. Use the trimmer to adjust the position you like to have your bar as you fly the kite. The Peak4 kites have small rings on the ends of the lines you connect to your bar lines. This enables you to connect any bar regardless of loops or knots on the ends of the bar lines.

I just sold a 5m Peak4 to someone who'd never had or flown one. He had a standard Ozone or Naish bar. I told him the same as I stated in the paragraph above about how to set it up and fly the kite. He rang me today to tell me he couldn't believe how simple and easy to set up and fly the kite. He was thinking perhaps like you, that this was a new kind of kite, different to the LEI kites he was used to, and there would be some technicalities in the learning process and it would take him a while to get used to it.

Completely opposite was the case. He went down the beach when the wind finally came up, (wind has been poor here lately thanks to La Nina), unrolled the kite, connected the lines and hot launched the kite on his gusty beach. Peak4 flew rock steady in the turbulent wind on the beach, which usually required a lot of attention when flying an LEI. He grabbed his 5'1" mutant/surf board and got off the beach to steadier wind, which was now dying and around 10 knots. After a few loops he got upon the board and was up and planing. He did a short downwinder along the beach in the dying wind, came in, steered the kite into the sand where it collapsed safely. He then packed the kite up in less than half the time he would with an LEI and went back home.

Needless to say he's a Peak4 convert and next time will be foiling with the Peak4. Point being the Peak4 is one of the easiest and most forgiving kites to set up and fly and one of the safest as well. I'm not sure if you've got your Peak4 yet, but if you have and the wind is 3 knots plus go and fly it outside in an open space. Borrow a mountain board, buggy or skateboard if you've got a hard surface. Snow nearby? Get some skis and just get out and fly the thing.
Every time I've handed the kite to someone who has never flown a Peak4 before they have been amazed at the ease and performance of the kite. Absolutely amazed :thumb:
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Flyboy (Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:46 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 am
loco4viento wrote:

Don't overthink it Flyboy. If your bars are equal line length bars, as most are, just connect it to your Peak4 and it will fly just fine. Use the trimmer to adjust the position you like to have your bar as you fly the kite. The Peak4 kites have small rings on the ends of the lines you connect to your bar lines. This enables you to connect any bar regardless of loops or knots on the ends of the bar lines.

I just sold a 5m Peak4 to someone who'd never had or flown one. He had a standard Ozone or Naish bar. I told him the same as I stated in the paragraph above about how to set it up and fly the kite. He rang me today to tell me he couldn't believe how simple and easy to set up and fly the kite. He was thinking perhaps like you, that this was a new kind of kite, different to the LEI kites he was used to, and there would be some technicalities in the learning process and it would take him a while to get used to it.

Completely opposite was the case. He went down the beach when the wind finally came up, (wind has been poor here lately thanks to La Nina), unrolled the kite, connected the lines and hot launched the kite on his gusty beach. Peak4 flew rock steady in the turbulent wind on the beach, which usually required a lot of attention when flying an LEI. He grabbed his 5'1" mutant/surf board and got off the beach to steadier wind, which was now dying and around 10 knots. After a few loops he got upon the board and was up and planing. He did a short downwinder along the beach in the dying wind, came in, steered the kite into the sand where it collapsed safely. He then packed the kite up in less than half the time he would with an LEI and went back home.

Needless to say he's a Peak4 convert and next time will be foiling with the Peak4. Point being the Peak4 is one of the easiest and most forgiving kites to set up and fly and one of the safest as well. I'm not sure if you've got your Peak4 yet, but if you have and the wind is 3 knots plus go and fly it outside in an open space. Borrow a mountain board, buggy or skateboard if you've got a hard surface. Snow nearby? Get some skis and just get out and fly the thing.
Every time I've handed the kite to someone who has never flown a Peak4 before they have been amazed at the ease and performance of the kite. Absolutely amazed :thumb:
Sounds reassuring! I'm a bit of a technophobe, so concerned about having a frustrating experience when trying to dial in the new kites. Unrolling the Peaks, the mass of brides lines is intimidating - feels like a lot of stuff that could get tangled! I have no idea how (per Horst) you could swim up to the kite - especially in choppy/wavy conditions - while wrapping your lines, flip the kite on its back & swim backwards while unrolling your lines again, without getting tangled up at some point? I guess time will tell!

With regard to the rings: is the idea to larks head around the ring ... or through & around the ring? If you have a knot at the end of your flying lines, do you larks head the end of the bridle around the knot ... or add a pig tail to the end of the bridle/flying lines?

Return to “Foil Kites”