Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Breze » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:25 pm

I know you don`t want to install the B safe, but have a look at this vid. It shows the larks head around the line, the ring works as a knot. This ring can be also let aside and the loop can be used to larks head around the pigtail with knot of your bar too.
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
irwe (Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:36 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

With regard to the rings: is the idea to larks head around the ring ... or through & around the ring? If you have a knot at the end of your flying lines, do you larks head the end of the bridle around the knot ... or add a pig tail to the end of the bridle/flying lines?

larks head on all 4 lines, (5 if you use the middle safety)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:42 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Sounds reassuring! I'm a bit of a technophobe, so concerned about having a frustrating experience when trying to dial in the new kites. Unrolling the Peaks, the mass of brides lines is intimidating - feels like a lot of stuff that could get tangled! I have no idea how (per Horst) you could swim up to the kite - especially in choppy/wavy conditions - while wrapping your lines, flip the kite on its back & swim backwards while unrolling your lines again, without getting tangled up at some point? I guess time will tell!

With regard to the rings: is the idea to larks head around the ring ... or through & around the ring? If you have a knot at the end of your flying lines, do you larks head the end of the bridle around the knot ... or add a pig tail to the end of the bridle/flying lines?
Haha, I totally remember seeing those bridles for the first time and thinking the same. Takes a couple weeks to get over it and realize they are soooooo much faster than pumping. You develop a pretty quick eye for bridles. As part of how I lay mine out for launch, after weighting the upwind tip, I put a finger under the very first front line (A line) at the LE corner and clear it back to about a meter or so into the flying line. Then I unroll the other side and do the same. It separates out the bridle, front and back lines and makes it easy enough to see any bride looping itself issues. Occasionally you'll spot one of those and you can just shake it out loosely. The bridle itself is pretty simple, just long. Once I've walked the bridle out, I don't bother worrying about line twist in the flying lines. With a clean bridle layout, the kite will go up clean and you can untwist once its up. You will probably walk out all the twists for the first couple weeks, but soon enough you won't bother. Just prep the bridle, unwind, hook in, grab the front lines and launch.

Doing it in the water while swimming..... well that takes some planning and practice.

As to the rings...... don't overthink it. The rings can be used in a variety of ways, all of which work fine. its' either the knot you larks head your flying line over (left), or you push the doubled bridle line through it to make a loop and it acts as part of the larks head over the knot on the end of your flying line (right). As just mentioned, you can also just push it aside and larks head the looped line its on over a knot on the flying line (bottom). The whole point is to negate the need to change whatever you have on your bar.

IMG_5007.jpg
IMG_5008.jpg
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
Flyboy (Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 am) • Peter_Frank (Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 am)
Rating: 13.33%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 5m
Peak 4 8m
Pulsion 18M
Slingshot Hoverglide w/Apollo 60 & Infinity 99cm wings & SS 100cm Dwarfcraft. Strapless

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Where would you guys suggest I try selling a couple of basically brand-new Peaks? I have a 5M that was only flown to test the lines and a 13M that has 5 sessions on it with an FS bar. Got the winging bug...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm

It's a genius way with the rings/larksheads as any bar can fit, even if you had something odd like 3 knots and one larks head on your lines :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks for the info. & encouraging words! That's the great thing about being a cult member - there's a dedicated support group! :)

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 pm

How to water relaunch a Peak 4 13 m in sub 7 Knots wind conditions, a short video.

Cheers

Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post (total 2):
Horst Sergio (Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:15 pm) • jumptheshark (Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: Slow Style stuntkiting, unhooked foiling
Gear: Just Monofoils, no training wheels ;-)
Ozone chrono; Flysurfer sonic²/r, peak4; Duotone echo
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:15 pm

Grazie Haiku, :thumb:

very cool, thinking about that 2 years ago we were still discussing here if relaunch is even possible and if above or below 50% of the cases and if just with the smaller sizes .... :D

So I see some progress here. :)

Only limitation I still could imagine is drift launching a big 8 - 13 Peak in their windrange around 10 knts, isn't it? Or maybe you also made some experience with your big sizes here?
But even if and having a bad drop under 10 knts means having a swimm this wouldn't be too much different to most other kites.

Announcement for all owners of aged Peaks:
I started to play with my new bridle measurement toy. I need just 40 minutes to import all bridle length into xls, so will measure all my Peaks and likely some of friends in the next weeks and then trying to condense it to general trim tips, knowing that best trimm just can archieved on base of individuals aged bridle data, but not everybody will have the possiblity and time to measure it, which is pretty tricky to do it right and even more to interpret it.

Everybody who is already interested in a perfect individual retrim based in Europe may contact Mischa from www.kitejunkie.com.
My measurement system is based on his and his on the one Flysurfer uses. But I don't had the goal to copy Flysurfers system and methods but to build up something that is specific to aged kites, respecting riders weight, kite type and taking care that not the measurement system changes the aged trim, but just the retrim itself to keep it stable after retrimming for long.

Don't try to interpret the following yourself, as a preserial kite, impossible to do without knowing measurement conditions, etc. Just to give a little insight that I also play with visualisation optimisation of data:
Above the scale (in mm) my old Peak4-3; Below the scale my nearly new Peak4-4; both with mixer not necessarily at 0...
Very-first-Try_Linesrinking-in-mm-Peak4-3preserial.jpg
Very-first-Try_Linesrinking-in-mm-Peak4-3preserial.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Hopefully retrimming our Peaks we can get a 2 life out of them to make them to a really long lasting sustainable toy. :)
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
jumptheshark (Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:09 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Very-first-Try_Linesrinking-in-mm-Peak4-3preserial.jpg
So to be clear some of the center C lines have shrunk as much as 7 cm? Is that including shrinking of the SPL?

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle
Gear: Drifter 12m 2019
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
Slingshot Hoverglide H5 / H3 / H4 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:33 am

How can we compare Peak4 (Turns speed) versus Lei wave kites?

Peak4 8m, 6m, 5m and 4m.
Recently I tried my 5m2 and it's very fast, I have never flown any Lei kite larger than 8, and it was a long time ago, so I don't have any parameters to compare in the same wind speed.

Return to “Foil Kites”