Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby joriws » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Well the kite is designed to sit down on TE on high mountain peak on high gradient winds (you rig & decide size low winds at valleys but high winds at peaks you pack down).

So just use 5th line with kit included, make it sit down and start rolling all lines to bar. Kite will sit there. If you are not willing to use in 5-line mode you can also on 4-lines tension steering lines to make it backstall and sit back on TE, just don't over tension. Then roll the lines keeping the tension. If during rolling kite launches try to take single steering line out of lines and tension heavily on the one to flag it out. Practise in low winds, don't try first time in 40kn winds.

Basic launch check is that if bar/lines are on TE-side of line, check LE that no bridle goes from LE under the kite. If does then just move the LE lines via wing tip to TE-side. And the lines are sorted, just make sure that red side goes via red side wingtip.. Yes if kite is weighted down windward then kite might flap and flap bridle to generate "loop"-based mess. To unloop just pull loops out of other loops. Putting kite in slight angle and weighting all TE-down is usually the solution to stop flapping.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Janus, how on earth have you tied those nice "knots" into the bridles? Looks phantastic! Zero chance of tangling :thumb:
The Peak was my first foil kite ever (as well), so I experienced related challenges as well in the beginning. When you´re not used to the bridle system it is really worrying in the beginning. I had some weird tangles as well, caused by improper landing of the kite. And I also was rather desperate to untangle it again, spent at least 30 minutes on the beach and felt like to total idiot :angryfire:
But after a while you get used to it and it becomes less and less of an issue.

Turning speed:
I´d say the 5 m² Peak turns like a 7 m² LEI wave kite, the 8 m² Peak like a 10 m² single-strut LEI wave kite.
However, the turning behaviour of the Peak is a bit different to a LEI kite. It feels a little slow initially, but this is misleading actually. When you get used to it, it feels overall much more nimble and reactive than a LEI kite.
These users thanked the author Onda for the post:
khaakon (Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 am)
Rating: 6.67%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:48 pm

I’ll say pretty much the same thing! Initial bridle fear and issues fade fast. Launch and land skills develop quick too. I did goop my entire bridle with weeds early on, so there is definitely a learning curve!

I generally drop the kite near the window edge. Once on the ground it loses shape and you can facilitate by stepping to it as one tip begins to crash. Almost any small Windbreak will do ie. a parked lei. But I often just do it out in the open and go to safety if its windy while walking towards and upwind. Usually the kite just sits. If it's windy enough it will slide or roll a bit downwind ( I fly the 3 and 4 on short lines so they don't go far). But as I'm already walking toward upwind of the kite it’s minimal. I keep my eye on the kite and take note of what direction it rolls if any. The bar will only travel a couple meters up the leash line. Jog to the kite, reverse the roll if necessary At this point the kite is still "inflated" and has some shape so its pretty easy to flip it back to clear the bridle and lines and drag what was the tip you crashed upwind and weight. I use my harness. By this point I have eyeballed the bridle is clear. Walk back to bar, feed two meters of leash line back through and wind up to the kite.... generally under a minute.

Everyone seems to have their own method. You will find yours. I never bother with tethers just weight a tip, pull it up from 45 degrees and crash it down roughly reverse as described. I hot launch when there is a very little wind (5 and 6m) but still usually crash land to the side.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Ditto what everyone else has said Flyboy.

I think also you have to get your mental attitude in harmony with the Peak4. Given you were a little wary of the Peak4, we all encouraged you with tips of how easy the kite is to set up, launch and fly. I guess we assumed you would understand the simple process of landing the Peak4 as it has been described a number of times in this thread and is the same but easier than a twin skin foil kite. ie. get someone to grab the lowest tip of the kite and place it on the ground and hold or sand that tip until you arrive. I have instructed many strangers on how to do this as it's much easier than getting them to take down an LEI kite where a failure to do this correctly can endanger your life.

When you untangle your bridles, which should be easy on a flat clean surface out of the wind, practice your launch and landing technique in light wind with any stranger so you can make sure your landing instructions are being understood.

With regard to bridle and line management, it's quite simple. Keep all the lines laid out as would be the case if the kite was in the air. When the kite is taken down and a weight is placed on the upwind tip, keep the kite in its position lying on its back with the bridles laying out from the trailing edge of the kite. Put additional sand or weight to keep the kite in this position if necessary while you wind the lines up on your bar. Stop winding the lines when you reach the little metal connecting rings where the bar lines connect with the bridle. Then carry the bar and lines across the kite and place them 30cm away on the grass or sand from the kites leading edge.
This means your bar and lines are far way from the various thick and thin bridle lines trailing out the back of the kite. Take these bridle lines and lay them all in the kite so when you roll the kite up they aren't hanging out anywhere to catch or tangle.

Now you have all the bridle lines out of sight and the bar can be left attached to the kite or disconnected without interfering with the bridles. If you disconnect the bar just tie the four lines together in a simple knot which stays outside of the rolled up kite. Reverse this procedure to set up the kite to fly.

I find a lot of my Peak4 customers are wary of a bridled kite if they've had no previous experience. However once they see how the kite works and the simple logic of the layout of the bridles then they don't have a problem with using the kite. The same logic applies if you crash the kite and can't relaunch the kite. Roll the lines on the bar and keep the bar away from the bridles when you swim in.

As far as bridled kites go the Peak4 is one of the easiest to manage as the lines are of good quality and don't tangle easily, the pulley and larger diameter bridle lines are colour coded and the kite lies flat with no air within to cause the kite to flap easily in the wind tangling bridles.

Now go out and have some fun :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Flyboy (Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 pm)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:16 pm
Janus, how on earth have you tied those nice "knots" into the bridles? Looks phantastic! Zero chance of tangling :thumb:
Thx Onda,
I only do this for drying, when dry I take it down and take the loops out and put the briddle in the folded kite.
How to make those loops?.. think I learned it in kindergarten school.. :lol: it is “haken”

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 am
I think what happened, is the guy who caught the kite put it down with a couple of the bridle lines wrapped around the canopy in some way. When I went to relaunch the lines did not get put back in the right way. Sorting it out on the beach was tricky because it was blowing 17 - 18 knots & for an added bonus the sand was covered with dried seaweed which stuck to bridle lines. I haven't used a foil kite since my first year kiting, in 2000. Need to sort out basic handling protocols for the Peak4 - the flying part is easy!
Bridle knowledge will come with experience. I usually will sort out a nest differently. I like to start with the Z lines because usually they are a different bridle color/line thickness so they are easier to spot and sort out first. Then I do ABC in that order. Also I NEVER leave my foil laid out in any kind of wind that will make the kite flap. It takes less than 5 minutes to quickly roll up a larger foil so why not?

The other day I was out on my 6m Soul in 35kts and in less than a minute of not paying attention I had a huge rats nest due to flapping of kite. Should have taken a pic, it was huge, basically the entire side of the bridle in a ball lol. But I had it sorted in under 30 minutes. Don’t tightening anything up, aim at Just loosening the tangle and work the the levels in your preference.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Cleaned the kite up & layer out the lines. I detached the rear line so I could run it under the front lines - that I think was the main problem: it got wrapped over the front of the kite. More puzzling is that there seems to be a twist among the front lines. I have no idea how that would be possible given the they were attached to the lines & the bar. I cannot see how to fix this without taking the bridle part ... which is illogical as there is no way the bridle could have fed through itself while on the beach. Very hard to see in the photograph, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Peak4.jpg

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 pm

DONT UNTIE ANYTHING and go from there.

This is your bridle right of passage. Once you pass, the Oracle will appear and you will be officially summoned into the Peak4 brotherhood. Then it will fall to you to pass on every tid bit of advice to future inductees as they too deal with their first tangle.

JK, just like learning how to hold an LEI on a windy day, this stuff will all become second nature pretty quick.

Shout out to Dsurf for really getting explicit!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:42 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 pm
DONT UNTIE ANYTHING and go from there.

This is your bridle right of passage. Once you pass, the Oracle will appear and you will be officially summoned into the Peak4 brotherhood. Then it will fall to you to pass on every tid bit of advice to future inductees as they too deal with their first tangle.

JK, just like learning how to hold an LEI on a windy day, this stuff will all become second nature pretty quick.

Shout out to Dsurf for really getting explicit!
Thanks for the support, but I'm worried I'm going to fail the induction test! :oops:

Cannot see how to fix the twist. Cannot see how it could have happened in the first place. My strategy right now: take the kite to the beach & put it up & see how to flies. My hope: the twist will fix itself in the air. My guess is that at worst it will fly with crooked pressure, kinda like when you have the front & back lines crossed on an LEI kite.

What I recall from my days flying foil kites (now 20 years ago, so I don't remember that clearly), I would bundle the bridle lines on top of the open kite, fold the kite to the middle & put the end of the lines on top of the folded tips so that they were separated from the rest of the bridle. The difference is, those kites were 2 line (well actually 3 line with a brake), so the bridle wasn't interconnected the way the Peaks are.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:39 pm

From your descriptions I would hazard a guess that some portion of the bridle looped over the kite and the kite went all the way through so the bridle has now got a twist. Sometimes the mixer can also get "inside out"ish, if the flying lines are detached but these are generally easy to reverse. I would take off the flying lines and lay the kite out on its back in a calm open space so you can lay the bridle out the trailing edge at full length. From there sort it to its cleanest presentation to isolate the twist. it should be simple enough to reverse by pulling the entire kite and other bridle through the offending cascade. Get it through the right spot or you will have created another twist! Either way, your about to get really well acquainted with the kite and will likely not repeat the issue. I really do just watch the kite as I crash it down and its as simple as flipping it back making sure all the light grey lines head out clean before weighting the tip. I think I try to facilitate clean handling by crashing it while walking toward it in attempt to get it to lay down on its back. If it flips, handle it from a tip as not to taco the kite into a ball. This is probably way too much description and you will figure out your methods with or without me. Light wind is really helpful to get your head around how the kites behave in different scenarios. I have never asked for assistance landing Peaks regardless of wind strength. Not so say I reject an offer, but thats more about being pleasant.

I like to wind my lines up all the way to the first wrap of yellow lines so the hitch is just before the pulleys. There is less to pile in the kite. Lay the bar as Dsurf says, on the ground, middle of the leading edge, lines leading into the middle of the kite. Flop all the lines into the kite and roll the downwind tip to centre. Place the bar on it so it stays put. Roll the upwind tip. Should end up with a double roll with no bridle hanging out the trailing edge. Fold TE to LE and stuff in the bag, bar on the outside of the kite. Practice and its easy even in windy conditions.

So jealous you are able to travel and ride !
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Flyboy (Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”