Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Tom,
yes, me to no harness hook no more. And with lots of trees and windshadows as at our spots you better enter the water and the beach with full control, hooked in. But then just release and have fun, but don't forget to hook in again before coming back (what very often happend to me to not remember :wink: ). And for sure hooking in during flight without a hook is a bit tricky, so try it first in a controlled environment. And use a suicide hooked in solution for your leash, otherise already its weight may bring it under tension and deform the kite via its 5th line.

But then you may ride 1/2 hour or longer unhooked no problem as the same as with a wing foil.
In this context a minimal trapez as the old Peak bags are:
http://shop.flysurfer.com/kite-bag-peak ... re=deutsch
can be a solution, as long you are just using them for start and landing. I tried to use it once for foiling with a 5 m² Peak4. But indeed and as they write, it is not compfortable enough. Even my version with a own climb harness (just the belt) thread into the bag, instead of the weaker, smaller original belt, didn't felt compfortable. But as said if you then go unhooked, it can be a interesting combination. But I would not necessarily recommend to use the old Peak bag, but try to find a better one with a wide backstrap for a similar price. Installing a good drainage in this context is also an important point, I already experienced, if you don't want to significantly increase your weight after a waterstart :wink: .

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am

thank you very much for info - it all have sense now. I use BRM ball style QR /not very friendly to kite in the air connection/ - but thinking about that - maybe I make some removable loop interconnection just for this purpose. But i have clear picture now. BTW i never use 5th lines on peak - just front line safety. IMO 5th line reride just doesnt work as i should - released kite in my case always end in bridle tangle mess. Front line was much better.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
the unpopular the better

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:43 pm

tomtom wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
thank you very much for info - it all have sense now. I use BRM ball style QR /not very friendly to kite in the air connection/ - but thinking about that - maybe I make some removable loop interconnection just for this purpose....
Yes, me too. These days I missed a lot the hook to loop option as:

What is better than ridding a Peak in waves? Riding it unhooked in waves, which is an incredible stoke :D I think pretty close to wingfoiling in waves. The only drawbag was going upwind for the next waves, so I hooked in again, which was a bit complicated to reinstall the loop for sure 20 times without a hook.

But me too, more likely will have Wichard and a steel ring on the bar in the future even if not as compfortable as a hook-chickenloop for unhook.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:41 am

i think pushing bar away...and then grabbing center lines(with bar) is basically the same as unhooking. (since actually unhooking would be difficult for those of us that use a rope harness)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
the unpopular the better

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 am

elguapo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:41 am
i think pushing bar away...and then grabbing center lines(with bar) is basically the same as unhooking. (since actually unhooking would be difficult for those of us that use a rope harness)
Hi elguapo,
no, just pushing the bar away has nothing to do with the great feel to be really unhooked. Hard to descripe, as in this case you have a constant pull by the kite mostly close to zenit and with long arms unhooked the hand not close to your face hooked which feels pretty bad, as to compact body position, but unhooked having both arms wide spread, much better for balance. Just look at real surf foiling (without kite), also here arms always wide spread for balancing and producing momentum.
Hard to bring it to the point, but with mostly one hand on the bar and also switching it from one to the other hand, you just have a very different way of controlling the tow point and to also pull yourself up towards kite if needed, something you will never have, when being hooked in, on the end the reason why there is a hole disciplin called wake style. But it is also very different to wake style as on the wave with the Peak the joy is to realy have the kite very close to forget about it, nearly no pull, lines close to get slack, keeping them all just under lowest tension by the wide range of about 2 m you can realise with your arms ...

Anyway thanks to the low stearing forces the Peak is just great to control it unhooked with one hand, on top of the known perfect drift behaviour.

With a rope harness it is even easier than with my small eyelet, where you have to mount the chickenloop into, but it works anyway, sitting / laying on the board, maybe also while riding with more feeling, or would be easier with a better self closing chickenloop release as from ocean rodeo or ozone. But in the best case the classic hook.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
elguapo (Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 am)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 am

this is what i mean (more or less) by holding the bar(and centerlines)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:28 am

grabbing front lines gets kite fully depowered, unhooked it will have full power (within the depower throw). Very different thing!

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: RL kitefoil
Newind split wave

CA Pulsion 12m
FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m

Postby merl » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 am

Anyone compared a high y bar (the official flysurfer bar is high y I believe) with a v bar? Make any difference?

jatem
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:06 am

merl wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 am
Anyone compared a high y bar (the official flysurfer bar is high y I believe) with a v bar? Make any difference?
Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference, works great with a v bar. The official bar is a high y. They're not a big wide kite, so there isn't much angle change from v to y.
These users thanked the author jatem for the post:
merl (Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 pm)
Rating: 10%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 pm

elguapo wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 am
this is what i mean (more or less) by holding the bar(and centerlines)

This should be essentially unhooked - good tip - i will try it /or even make it better/ with adjustable stopper so you wont need hold line blocked/

in essence you make suicide leash from chicken loop line - no need to hook back in. Im using very long chicken loop line anyway, so this should give me plenty of movement freedom.

Anyway question for Horst - how you trim your unhooked kite? Max power just before backstall? Best way to describe it would be back stall vs flapping - where between these points :)

many thanks

Return to “Foil Kites”