Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 pm
...Anyway question for Horst - how you trim your unhooked kite? Max power just before backstall? Best way to describe it would be back stall vs flapping - where between these points :)
Both my kites are actually a bit limit in their trimmer range, but it is just enough when going to the may which is pretty much powered but as much that you normaly would not get a backstall which would always feel bad during a ride. On the other hand as riding the smallest kite possible you normaly want close to may powerful loops which can make you start earliest even unhooked. But there is not just one perfect trimm point for the small Peak, when powerd up a bit more you can shorten depower by for sure another 3-5 cm then described before.

Happy unhooking and don't make compromise, a long suicide leash, pull the trimmer, hook of and have the best wave session you can expect :thumb:

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 pm

:) i will

bricedenice
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Nice
Favorite Beaches: Cloudbreak
Style: surf
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby bricedenice » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:39 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm
pull the trimmer, hook of and have the best wave session you can expect :thumb:
Ok so you do depower the kite just before unhooking?
As we know the main reason single skins drift so well when I riding aggressively towards them is canopy flutter at low AoAs, so I would suppose unhooking without first pulling a good piece of trim should compromise drifting, specially for side-on and onshore, light to moderate winds?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 am

SS drift well because low inertia and low L/D.

they drift equally well regardless AOA /to the extent/

bricedenice
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Nice
Favorite Beaches: Cloudbreak
Style: surf
Gear: old
Been thanked: 0

Postby bricedenice » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 am

tomtom wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 am
SS drift well because low inertia and low L/D.

they drift equally well regardless AOA /to the extent/
Bit of contradiction there, since at low AoAs the L/D decreases drastically (drag dues to flapping)

I would call useful drift is the one that allows the kite to go along downwind, accompanying the rider. An overtaken kite is no good, and will eventually screw one's riding no matter how light and aerodynamically balanced the kite is.

I'm not saying unhooking the peak4 without canopy flapping wouldn't work for waveriding (also depends on conditions and riding style), but suppose some degree of useful drift would be lost depending on how it's trimmed before unhooking.

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 pm

bricedenice wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 am

I'm not saying unhooking the peak4 without canopy flapping wouldn't work for waveriding (also depends on conditions and riding style), but suppose some degree of useful drift would be lost depending on how it's trimmed before unhooking.
This makes sense to me. For now, I don't see it worth my effort to change my connection system (rope) to mess with unhooking.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby elguapo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 pm
bricedenice wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:39 am

This makes sense to me. For now, I don't see it worth my effort to change my connection system (rope) to mess with unhooking.

same.
sheeting out fully on a long throw control bar and "locking" front lines works well enough for me (and has same affect)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:05 pm

you all miss dynamic changing place where kite pull you. This give you additional freedom = stoke. I dont tried it with peaks but i tried it with other kites in past.
About peak drift vs AOA. I never noticed that changing AOA change peak drift radicaly.
There is no AOA on Peak which make him sit too forward in WW that was what i mean. And i dont know if you noticed this too but drifting peaks newer flap.
Technicaly in real drift situation you are not even suppose to be able to change AOA.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Horst Sergio (Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:37 pm)
Rating: 10%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:08 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:34 pm
sheeting out fully on a long throw control bar and "locking" front lines works well enough for me (and has same affect)

Correct - but you are "unhooked" in sense of moving "center of pull" and thanks for this locking tip again - never heard about it before.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks Tom,

I see it all like you.
And to me, being hooked, even with a very long depower line and or locking bar on line has nearly nothing to do with unhooked.
And due to dynamic wind window also a unhooked Peak can flap if you change angle of attack during moving it inside and boarder of wind window or as permanently move yourself on a wave against the kite.

It is not the goal to have a heavily flapping overpowered, depowered kite in your hand while riding the wave, but the opposite:
On the wave with the foil you want a well balanced kite with just enough power to start you with 1-2 loops (which is when underpowered easier unhooked) and then a kite that behaves as neutral as possible when you fly it on one streched arm mostly above your head. Like this you wont be able to forget the peak completely but you wont feel no more pull. You will just have to controll that the lines don't start to go to much slack to not risk to sink it, that's why it is for sure not a recommendation to everyone to try.

And yes before you hook of you depower with the trimmer, but if never done before it is not a Peak in the water to try it first time. :wink:

P.S.
Thinking about it, it could also be worth a try to not just hook the suicide leash the normal way, but above the bar (or even with a short backstallsafety /two extra lines on level of trimmers ...) which could increase the chance if releasing the bar and crashing the kite to be able to relaunch, as then backlines should stay permanently powered / tensioned as much as before or possible, which is very important for Peak relaunches ..... will try this next time. :D ... have to go add those lines :D

Return to “Foil Kites”