Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am

a99 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm
What is perfect in such kite that its dont fall in 3-5 knots as all Lei neo and etc wil fall. For me better have dont falling kite than few more upwing degrees. More concern about turning speed.
Power per power it should turn LEI rate till 8m.

I was surprised about 13m... It was not such disaster than i supposed. Still gutless powerstroke so no real power advantage

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 am

Tomtom what would you describe the difference in size Peak4 vs Foil kite for powerstroke? Like is the maximum power out of say a 6m foil kite like the powerstroke from a smaller or bigger Peak 4?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:45 am

i dont have 6m closed cell kite so i cannot compare. But imo Soul 8m have stronger power stroke - /short term burst/ than 13m Peak. In static pull is much different of course.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am

But it is this small difference between burst and static what you love in stronger wind on Peaks. But exactly thats why they are not LW hydrofoil kites...
And also smaller Peaks in higher wind fly faster = more profound powerstroke - than bigger sizes. This is valid for all kites but more so for Peaks.

rolfjoosten
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil

Postby rolfjoosten » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

I agree with TomTom

When I am out kitesurfing with my buddy who uses a Neo 8m and I use my Peak4 5m, I find that he gets on the board easier than me on the Peak 4. He has about 15kg weight advantage on me (85kg). If the wind in the lulls drops, the Neo falls out of the sky but my Peak still floats to wait for another gust. The power delivery on the Peak is much more mellow and steady than on the Neo in my opinion. When I am at the bottom end of the wind range and want to waterstart, it can be a bit of a challenge at times. I have to fly multiple loops / figure eights to get on the board and then to get going. Once I am moving I can maintain it due to the apparent wind and glide of the foil...

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 am

Well I finally had a session on my Peak 4 3m where I could actually give a review/observations. This was my third session on it, first two were honestly not very good due to just being too underpowered. Today it was roughly 20-25kts here in La Ventana and was pretty close to the bottom end for me. My observations and comparison to my Soul 6m which is currently my go-to hydrofoil kite.

Extremely small optimal bar position. This with the on/off power delivery was difficult for me to adjust. I usually like to trim so the last couple inches of bar throw will backstall the kite. I use this alot with my Soul when going directly into the kite and when I want to do a fast kite pivot. This ended up being a problem for me with the Peak since the kite lost its power so quickly. I was able to adjust though, just took some time.

It is an extremely fast kite. Others have described the Peak as a handsoff kite and for the 3m I can't agree. It flies to quickly that I have to constantly monitor it. I'm usually not paying attention much to the kite as I foil since I can feel it out pretty easily even with loops and backstalling. The Peak4 3m moves sneakily and there was many times where it was nowhere where I thought. Luckily since it moves so fast, it's easy to correct.

I'm 0 for 1 on relaunches and there was absolutely no chance to relaunch. Usually if I drop the kite it's because I'm messing around and there's slack lines. The kite also got washed right away in surf and the kite ended up literally sinking(a first for me). Luckily I was fairly close to shore and the roll up and swim were pretty easy. Also I was able to unwind the lines/kite and get the kite back in the air within minutes.

The flapping is VERY loud. I listen to music while I kite and I could still hear it over the loud music. Also when I hear flapping I'm use to ducking because it usually means someone near by has messed up a maneuver and their kite it going somewhere they don't want very quickly. Going to take awhile to desensitize that reaction to the sound.

Getting on foil is very different too and took me awhile to get the right technique for me. Usually a quick loop and I'm up with the Soul. For the Peak, what worked best for me would be best described as a long horizontal oval. That usually gave me enough grunt to get me up.

This may seem like a negative review but it's really not. I greatly enjoyed my session on it. I don't think I'll be using it to progress or go out further than I'd want to swim in until I get the relaunches down. I was easily the smallest kite out today here in La Ventana and it was busy. The kite also got tons of attention which was pretty cool. I was able to foil some with my hands off the bar but really I had to keep it from going to one side or the other more than I thought I would have to. Perhaps I need to do a bar check to make sure everything is lined up correctly. I am looking forward to my next session with it, for the price I am very happy with it being my high wind option. But compared to the Soul 6m, I'd pull the Soul out everytime.

=Jason-

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 am

Definitely check your lines are tuned equal, you don't want the bar setup for backstall with a peak.

You have to do a few good sessions on the 3m to learn how much bar pressure it needs. The 3m takes a fine touch, and it's the nicest of the peaks once you're used to it. The flapping is likely because you're sheeting out too much, and likewise you'll be backstall turning - losing power and putting it into the drink. Focus on flying it with a subtle hand, not relaunching it.

balticswell
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby balticswell » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am

After reading all this topic I decided to try the Peak as I felt it should be something what I'm missing on a big wing (1325cm) surf hydrofoil in those marginal 7-12 knots. I currently use Airush Wave and Ultras for that and being indeed very light kites I was still missing a drift when playing on the wave.
My first and only session sofar was in 18-22 knots on a Peak 5m with standart 21m lines. I generally felt very overpowered that conditions, adjuster was half way and mostly on streched out arms. The flapping is not an issue if you try to keep some line tension, but there was another issue with the kite when you let try to fly kite very fast from powerzone to the edge of the wind window or if the gust hits - the kite wrinkles along the canopy, so literally shrinking the leading and trailing edges together, then loosing power and tending to go down and even collapsing the lower ear. It looked like it isealy could invert in that position, but under given conditions (sideshore and 3 degrees water temp.) I didn't want to provoke the kite do that...
So my question would be is it possble to invert that kite when overpowered, has someone experienced somthing like that?

Regarding the drift this kite is realy the first kite that realy has one... Just park it above and surf the wave, forget flying the kite around and concentrate on your turns :jump: And at the same time it was very intuitive as there was enough feedback on the lines to know you are still attached to the kite.
I think it's THE KITE for downwinders on a hydrofoil :D

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 am
Extremely small optimal bar position. This with the on/off power delivery was difficult for me to adjust. I usually like to trim so the last couple inches of bar throw will backstall the kite. I use this alot with my Soul when going directly into the kite and when I want to do a fast kite pivot. This ended up being a problem for me with the Peak since the kite lost its power so quickly. I was able to adjust though, just took some time.
=Jason-

You are just not used to fly such small kite. If it flap - you was on wrong size. - too big. I know its weird to say 3m was too big but it was. If Peaks flap they are out of optimum. 3m Peak isnt good Peak to start with. Any 3m kite will be difficult size with any kite if you are not used to small kite. Try one hand wrist control with depower lines between fingers.
Take you time. You will start appreciate fast and nimble kite - anything will start to look slow and unresponsive.
Im 86 kg and on 633 - 3m works till 25knts - from 16 - 17.
People are fooled with weak powerstroke - if you are wanting powerstroke like other kites you end with kite too big and flapping.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am

balticswell wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am
My first and only session sofar was in 18-22 knots on a Peak 5m

Again too much kite. You need to work kite heavy to waterstart - then you have right size for riding.
18 - 22 knts is 3m absolute sweetspot for me 86 kg 1200cm wing
No way i can use 5m on such wind with pleasure.

Obviously kite feels strange for lot of people and im fooled that for me it click instantly.

Also you definetely SHOULD have backstall on bar. Its uselfull for lot of reasons - i can fly kite directly down in to water and just stop in midle of WW reverse position it whenever i want it in WW.
Its like unmount reverse from car just because you cant reverse drive car.

Take you time - choose right size and you find it BEST flying traction tool for mid to strong winds

Return to “Foil Kites”