Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
gmasiak
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyway Bridge in Saint Petersburg , Fl
Favorite Beaches: Lido Beach in Sarasota, FL
Anna Maria Beach, North Desoto Beach
Style: Freeride, Foiling
Gear: Lift Foils 110 and 150 with Zeeko AirRace board.
Pulsion UL 12m ,OR Flite kites.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby gmasiak » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:33 pm

My weight is 170 lbs and I'm using Moses 633 wing

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:04 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:56 pm
I went out today with the 4m with 18-22 knots, onshore wind and a lot of push from the waves. Such great fun! It's unbelievable how well this kite drifts straight down wind. I was really able to catch some swell without any restrictions this time. Only downside is the lack of upwind.

When the wind dropped to about 14-16 knots I rigged my hyperlink 9m. The shorebreak was too heavy to get going with the 4m, in flat water I might have been able to keep going. Because I decided to ditch my straps for the first time I had a rough session: so much more difficult than I had anticipated to get on the board. But the waves made it a lot harder I guess. Once riding it was great to be able to move my feet around though. Any tips on a good strapless start?
Strapless starts: Like with most things, easier in flatter conditions and easier if your rig floats on side longer but it will become easy with practice. Onshore winds are most difficult in my experience.

Trent hink
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:08 pm

Dragging out past the shore-break can help. I'm pretty sure i can get up in less wind bouncing around than i can in flat water.

ice
Rare Poster

Postby ice » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 pm
I would love to see anyone talking on the low wind topic to post their weight and wing size. I think we all could then have a more meaningful dialog.
yes, I am getting the feeling that rider weight makes a big difference to the Peak 4

At the low end of the kite range, I find I cannot lean the hydrofoil over from the kite and go slow without killing the power (in order to go upwind) . I'm 90 kg. So I find the upwind performance very poor at the low end of the kite range.

I am experimenting with travelling slow but staying upright, and also travelling fast but staying upright, and merely pointing the board upwind.

Any recommendations to improve up wind performance at the low end of the kite range, for a heavier guy?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 pm

Are we talking about poor upwind performance compared to an Lei kite with a foil, or poor upwind performance compared to an Lei kite with a TT or SB?

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am

Nah, same upwind performance as a typical wave LEI kite (My findings with foil and surfboard / skimboard, compared to Cabrinha drifters). it just takes a number of sessions to really get that point of best upwind / sheating on the peak. Poor upwind compared to closed cell foil kites, definitely. But then again a small peak in lots of wind with a race foil goes upwind better and faster than expected.

LeoLeal
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblade 12m 2012
Peak4 8m
Wam 6"
Trax 132
Slingshot Hoverglide H5 / H3 / H4

Postby LeoLeal » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:10 am

I had two session last weekend, the first session I started just flying Peak4 8m² on the sand the wind was around 5 knots to 7 knots, it's impressive how this kite can keep flying in almost no wind. After some time the wind got strong and I could ride.
In the other day I asked a friend to measure how was the wind while I was playing at the beach and after when I was riding . That I will say is based in my conclusion and my handheld anemometer . I could notice that Bellow 8.5 knots it difficult to get on board , 8.5knots to 9.5knots you can ride but it's not comfortable as you have to move you kite fast and you don't have power enough to go upwind easily. 9.5 knots or above you can have fun.
Sometimes I was riding and I could notice the lulls and the kite losing power until I could not keep going.
- 600 cm² wing
- Large board 1.55 meters
- 83 kg

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:22 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am
Nah, same upwind performance as a typical wave LEI kite (My findings with foil and surfboard / skimboard, compared to Cabrinha drifters). it just takes a number of sessions to really get that point of best upwind / sheating on the peak.
Agreed.

Delicate bar pressure definitely helps to get power at the low end. The peak will lose a lot of power from oversheeting, and will turn more suddenly. To get the most out of a peak you need to be sensitive with bar pressure, just enough that the kite isn't flapping, and don't hang your weight onto the bar during waterstarts.

It's not like you're steering a lead balloon that's about to fall out of the sky.

ice
Rare Poster

Postby ice » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:39 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 pm
Are we talking about poor upwind performance compared to an Lei kite with a foil, or poor upwind performance compared to an Lei kite with a TT or SB?
I am talking about peak 4 versus lei wave kite on hydrofoil 1125 cm2, 90 kg rider. at lower end of wind range of kite

on the lei wave kite I could lean the board over and drive upwind

with a peak 4, if I lean, it kills the power of the kite (and I am not oversheeting)

ice
Rare Poster

Postby ice » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 am
Nah, same upwind performance as a typical wave LEI kite (My findings with foil and surfboard / skimboard, compared to Cabrinha drifters). it just takes a number of sessions to really get that point of best upwind / sheating on the peak. Poor upwind compared to closed cell foil kites, definitely. But then again a small peak in lots of wind with a race foil goes upwind better and faster than expected.
your weight?

Return to “Foil Kites”