Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone R1 V3 is out?

For all foil kite riders
User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby gmb13 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:07 am
I was more talking of the other foils from Ozone with the bridal and I’m correct in saying the R1 and VMG don’t belong in the same category. If anything the Sonic2 and R1 are in the same league. And are we talking about the V2 which was pulled from release or the V3 which they are calling the V2 now??
Again. This shows your lack of knowledge about the Ozone Products.

The R1v1 was released in 2015 and had problems with stability and downwind angle. I assume this is the kite you are thinking is the v2. If so, your comments comparing it to a Sonic 2 are correct, although you should really be comparing it to the Sonic 1 as that was the FS kite it was competing with at the time.

The R1v2 has been out since 2016. When looking purely at results it is the most successful race kite. It was a compelte redesign and is basically known as the easiest kite to race on. The VMG comes close on the big sizes and I have to admit it probably has a slight performace advantage in sub 10 knot winds, but in strong gusty winds the small sizes are twitchy.

The R1v3 had a hard birth. It was originally released beginning of this year with a big price increase, but the team as a whole found it not a big enough improvement in performance and handling to warrant replacing the R1v2 which was still winning all the major races and was cheaper, so it was pulled and was worked on until it was deemed perfect for release and at almost the same price as the R1v2. We shall see what it is like when I get home and test them.

--
Gunnar

User avatar
Horst Sergio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono, FLYSURFER sonic²/r, CONCEPTAIR wave
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 am
Quote: "...
The R1v3 had a hard birth. It was originally released beginning of this year with a big price increase, but the team as a whole found it not a big enough improvement in performance and handling to warrant replacing the R1v2 which was still winning all the major races and was cheaper, so it was pulled and was worked on until it was deemed perfect for release and at almost the same price as the R1v2. We shall see what it is like when I get home and test them.
Gunnar
Hi Gunnar,
interested to see your professional test, but as I am no more following race results. Isn't it now Flysurfer Sonics which are dominating as Ozone has done till 1 or 2 years ago with R1v2?
See rankings of 2017 and 2018:
http://kitefoilgoldcup.com/rankings

Always just one Ozone team rider on the last places of top 10 behind many Flysurfers
and Maxime Nocher seems to buy private Flysurfer Sonics … or am I missing here something or making a wrong interpretation?

Unfortunately haven't been able to get a demo Ozone in hands the last year and also wouldn't have the skills to compare it in race similar riding. But are you comparing out of the box R1v2 with sonics(2/race/vmg) in the same as new conditions, or are you comparing with customers Flysurfer kites? Customers ask you to trim, as they are unable to cope with and after they abused the trimm by wrong packing and so on …?

While being very impressed by your race and wave foil skills which I can't even comment, I am not so sure, if it is possible to validate kite stability on your open ocean dessert. So if you have the feeling that sonics (new or with abused bridle) are instable, is this refering to having a 20 m high wood 100 m in your back and additionally a 1 km high mountain another 1 km where the gusty wind blows out, or similar? As you know the photo is exactly the place of Flysurfers Headquarter and where they also do some tests of their kites:
Image

User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby gmb13 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 am
Quote: "...
The R1v3 had a hard birth. It was originally released beginning of this year with a big price increase, but the team as a whole found it not a big enough improvement in performance and handling to warrant replacing the R1v2 which was still winning all the major races and was cheaper, so it was pulled and was worked on until it was deemed perfect for release and at almost the same price as the R1v2. We shall see what it is like when I get home and test them.
Gunnar
Hi Gunnar,
interested to see your professional test, but as I am no more following race results. Isn't it now Flysurfer Sonics which are dominating as Ozone has done till 1 or 2 years ago with R1v2?
See rankings of 2017 and 2018:
http://kitefoilgoldcup.com/rankings

Always just one Ozone team rider on the last places of top 10 behind many Flysurfers
and Maxime Nocher seems to buy private Flysurfer Sonics … or am I missing here something or making a wrong interpretation?

Unfortunately haven't been able to get a demo Ozone in hands the last year and also wouldn't have the skills to compare it in race similar riding. But are you comparing out of the box R1v2 with sonics(2/race/vmg) in the same as new conditions, or are you comparing with customers Flysurfer kites? Customers ask you to trim, as they are unable to cope with and after they abused the trimm by wrong packing and so on …?

While being very impressed by your race and wave foil skills which I can't even comment, I am not so sure, if it is possible to validate kite stability on your open ocean dessert. So if you have the feeling that sonics (new or with abused bridle) are instable, is this refering to having a 20 m high wood 100 m in your back and additionally a 1 km high mountain another 1 km where the gusty wind blows out, or similar? As you know the photo is exactly the place of Flysurfers Headquarter and w5here they also do some tests of their kites:
Image
As far as I know in the horrible gusty conditions in Aarhus at Worlds Nico won on an r1v2. Also look at the results you posted more carefully. Nico was won the last event of the tour and was close second in China. He did not compete in the rest of the tour as he had other commitments.

Regarding my experience, you should know better. Do you really think I never leave my Island and kite elsewhere? Also I train in the south of Fuerte too, probably the most dangerously gusty place to kite on the planet.

When comparing kites I am talking from a combination of being in contact with riders with long term experience of riding and racing these kites, my own tests and lining up with the kites. Unlike most people in this thread, I try everything first with an open mind before shooting my mouth of here.

--
Gunnar

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1655
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:37 pm
Isn't it now Flysurfer Sonics which are dominating as Ozone has done till 1 or 2 years ago with R1v2?
In professional hands, the Sonic VMG/Race could have an edge on the R1V2...certainly seems that some top riders who were with Ozone are now with Flysurfer due to the release of the Race/VMG. I would hesitate to make a purchase decision on that basis as sponsorship agreements often don't track directly with kite performance, and the results you posted are an incomplete picture as Gunnar said as many people at the top of consolidated tour results are there simply due to participating in events others did not. For example, Guy Bridge won the HFPT in 2018 although Nico rarely loses to him in aggregate results if you restrict the range to only the races where they both competed against each other.

The Sonic2 isn't even in the same category as the R1V2/3, Diablo, VMG/Race. Not even close...would be surprised to see it survive the next round of kite releases at Flysurfer honestly because it's just sort of in the way of their otherwise pretty performative lineup. VMG is their open-class race kite, the Race is their 'production' model because it made it into the IKA registration window. The Soul is their freeride kite and then they have their snow/LEI lineup which are not relevant to this discussion. My money is on the Speed and Sonic2(3?) lineup going away next time they update their site.

I've spoken to a couple people recently about the differences between the VMG and the R1V2 and 3 out of 3 people who have flown or raced on both kites say the VMG is tricky to fly compared to the Sonic2 or R1V2, it's easier to get overpowered more quickly, and it has a narrower wind range meaning you need more kites to cover a full spectrum of racing conditions. Sure, perhaps it has a performance advantage in the hands of a rider who has mastered flying a race kite and can foil through all their transitions, but that's not me and it's honestly not most people on the race course.

This led to my decision recently to purchase an R1V2 now that their price is going down pending the release of the V3. Everyone I've ever talked to about race kites has told me that the R1V2 is by far and away the easiest race kite to fly compared to other modern offerings. Coming from a Joker 7, which might be one of the most difficult race kites to fly, I'm really excited to get my new R1V2!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

User avatar
Horst Sergio
Frequent Poster
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono, FLYSURFER sonic²/r, CONCEPTAIR wave
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:30 pm

@Mossy 757:
fully agree and no doupts you will have fun with your r1v2 and sure they will be a good deal to get them used now. And sorry haven't seen this thing that just about 10 riders have competete on the "world tour" which infact influences the list.
Sonic2 on the end in my impression, even when they tried, has never been competitive, but it is still today a very good freerace kite for all those a bit better average joes out there like me, who are not really interested in races.

I think it tooks flysurfer just 3 models till sonic race to line up or overtake ozone after ozone has been way in front starting with the chrono while flysurfer was just producing Speed 4 which have never had any racing inside, but just has been a full freeride kite.

@Gunnar:
Sorry, I will try to be less stupid in 2019 :D , how couldn't I know that you have allready experienced everything in "probably the most dangerously gusty place to kite on the planet" :D :wink:

so for now a good last ride in 2018 :)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1655
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:30 pm
no doupts you will have fun with your R1V2
Had a session today, it's sooooo good, mostly because it's crazy easy compared to the Sonic, Sonic2, or Elf.

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 am

Interesting,

I do not have the same experience with R1v1 and Sonic1. 11 and 9, respectively. One example is jumping, S1 is very smooth, lands soft, R1 drops me like a rock.

Whats your lines length on R1? Same length with other mentioned kites?

D.

User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 am
Interesting,

I do not have the same experience with R1v1 and Sonic1. 11 and 9, respectively. One example is jumping, S1 is very smooth, lands soft, R1 drops me like a rock.

Whats your lines length on R1? Same length with other mentioned kites?

D.
Downunder. He is on the R1v2 not the R1v1. The v2 is a completely different kite.

--
Gunnar

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1655
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Yeah, V2...17m lines yesterday.

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Ozone R1 V3 is out?

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

There we go...

R1v1 on 17m does work preety well. Not so on 24m while S1 does.

D.


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kitehume and 2 guests

cron