Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby windmaker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 am
mikesids wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 am
@prfctChaos, when is the Hyperlink v2 due out? There is zero mention of it on the Web- maybe you know something that the rest of us don't?
Yea, I had to do some asking around to find out, because I'm keen to see what changes were made and I'm in the market for a small one for foiling. (Really like the way it flies, but there are always one or two details that can be improved / unnecesary things taken away)

Don't know a exact date, but should be soon (days not weeks).
Yes and when Hyperlink 2 is out it would only be fair to wait and test it versus Soul 2 :D

Can't mention any names yet but I hear another major brand will be releasing a Soul/Hyperlink killer next month. This could go on for ever.

Just take it as it is and for what it's worth.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

windmaker wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 am
PrfctChaos wrote:
mikesids wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 am
@prfctChaos, when is the Hyperlink v2 due out? There is zero mention of it on the Web- maybe you know something that the rest of us don't?
Yea, I had to do some asking around to find out, because I'm keen to see what changes were made and I'm in the market for a small one for foiling. (Really like the way it flies, but there are always one or two details that can be improved / unnecesary things taken away)

Yes and when Hyperlink 2 is out it would only be fair to wait and test it versus Soul 2 :D

Can't mention any names yet but I hear another major brand will be releasing a Soul/Hyperlink killer next month. This could go on for ever.

You must mean the Venom. I haven’t seen a Peter Lynn in the air in years but I’m pretty excited to see what it is.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:51 am

The new Peter Lynn freeride foil kite is called the NOVA (though I would also like a new Venom) could be out in April,there in some info in the 'foil' section of the forum.

PL marketing is not so good but their kites are top quality , the 'SWELL' is a great kite,a wave kite.
I am sure a single strut kite will be released soon.........

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am
windmaker wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:13 am
PrfctChaos wrote:

You must mean the Venom. I haven’t seen a Peter Lynn in the air in years but I’m pretty excited to see what it is.
No it's not the Venom but that looks good too. It's called Halo, will be available in 8/10/12/15/19 to start and the manufacturer should be announcing it very soon.

Looks like this segment of medium aspect foil kites will mark the definite re-birth of foil kites that can easily be used on other supports (and surfaces) than hydrofoils.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 pm

mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm
mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
With respect :-)
Both kites are of different designs, so the differences noted should be based on that fact.
The FS offers some neat features, such as little line connections, adjustable speed and bridle system.
With respect to the comment starting at 5.00 regarding back line adjustment, this is covered in the FS Soul manual page 21 – Ref 12.04. https://flysurfer.com/project/soul/
I did the back line adjustment for when I had Tube kites,same principle applies for foil kites.
Checking and adjusting back lines if needed is standard practice no matter if the kite is new or used and is a “easy procedure” in my opinion.
mgs, to clarify. The tuning on the Soul for the back lines had to extend beyond the common and pre-equipped adjustments that the Soul provides.
Hello and okay.
Making an extra knot as the existing knot (s) wasn’t enough to take up the slack in the back lines is not what you were expecting to do,but this is something I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned with.However, this is your personal review so fair enough.
All the best.
Bear in mind it can take about 5 hours of flying a new Soul and some other Flysurfer foil kites for the flying and bridle lines to settle into their design settings. I think Armin has mentioned this on either this forum or the German forum. In my experience it's taken about 5 or 7 hours on my Souls to fly at their best.

Regards Dave

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

FLandOBX wrote: Very informative input.......if we were we discussing the ability to tie knots. :roll:
That is what you are discussing. :roll:
winduser wrote: Tell me where I can find the information of the lines length on Ozone site.
https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... -Check.pdf
winduser wrote: The dealer told him that he have to buy all new bridles .
It is normal for resellers to offer advice maximizing $$.
winduser wrote:Lines stretches.
Yes it does and it also shrinks. In the case of modern PREstretched lines they will be made with a prestretched length and will ONLY shrink from that length. This includes your flying lines, which actually shrink. You might be confused on the state of things because you can stretch them again after they have shrunk or aka restretch them. Trust me though they will shrink again.
winduser wrote:You have many bridles it is not a guessing game
It actually is a bit. The complexity of the bridles allows a lot of customization. Meaning you can alter the kite to fly more to your liking quite a bit. The fact the bridles can shrink and change so much and yet the kites still fly is a testament to this flexibility. Like I just discovered browsing the Flysurfer Race VMG line plan and testing it, disconnecting the very tip Z bridle may actually make them better. Sure the designers have put a lot of effort choosing the exact lengths and they may be the best to have, but lengths do not stay static even in flight and the fabric shape will change such that the lengths from the designer may no longer be best and everyone has their own preference. A lot of the adjustment can be simply done as altering the length of the TE or Z bridle bit by bit till you have the more desired flight.
winduser wrote:On a bar you have 4 lines it is easy to fix .
The process to get flying lines even left to right is not actually that easy. Sure you can alter them with knots, but getting them so they tend to hold the same length is more involved. Would be why so many lines come new uneven.
winduser wrote:Not so easy on bridles on a foilkite . So many lines.
It can seem that way. Really though adjusting Z and the B limit should fix most things.
winduser wrote:So easy with a mixer test....
We are lead to believe and it seems that way but the leveling of the mixer can make things worse.
windmaker wrote: Can't mention any names yet but I hear another major brand will be releasing a Soul/Hyperlink killer next month. This could go on for ever.
Exciting times I hope it does go on forever. I love foils and seeing more development makes me very happy. Maybe we will see the update or integration of Pyscho4 technology in the future.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:58 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm
FLandOBX wrote: Very informative input.......if we were we discussing the ability to tie knots. :roll:
That is what you are discussing. :roll:
No, we are discussing quality control. The question is, should a brand new foil kite require an immediate modification, one that goes beyond the manufacturer's built-in range of adjustments, in order to perform correctly? It has nothing to do with the capability of the user. It's about the kite.

If you buy a brand new gas-powered generator, should you have to immediately adjust the carburetor for the machine to run properly? Even if you are an expert at small engine repair, I don't think you'd be happy with that purchase.

IMHO, we should expect the same from our kites, whether LEI or a foil kite. I like Flysurfer kites and have been happy with the few I've owned, but I've always bought them used. If new Flysurfer kites, especially new Souls, require an immediate modification before performing properly, I think the company will have difficulty marketing them (as it seems to be doing with the Soul) to LEI users who may want to try a foil kite. Even those with the knowledge to make the required adjustment are going to be reluctant to pay $2000+ for a kite that requires an immediate modification.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Storm in a teacup. If you are going to classify 2 knots as a mod, you may as well do the same for using the trimmer.

Knowing how to trim a kite is basic kite skills.

I think what you are alluding to is some don't know basic kite knowledge.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 pm
I think what you are alluding to is some don't know basic kite knowledge.
Apparently Flysurfer quality control.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

I would have been pretty annoyed if my brand new Souls came needing immediate modification. However I think this is not usually the case, certainly wasn’t with mine. They flew perfectly from the off and although people say you need to adjust after a few hours of flying, I have never needed to do anything with them since. I did do the mixer test out of interest and both kites were perfect.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
FLandOBX (Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”