Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 pm

It's interesting discussion. I'm starting my second year with 3 foil kite quiver Hydrofoiling, a FS Sonic 2 13m, Hyperlink UL 9m and Hyperlink 7m.
All of these are rigged so kite has very slight backstall att full power with trim at full power. In that position the kite falls back slowly and then stops a bit back in window. Usually I'm riding with my Trimstrap pulled in 50-100mm, so when the bar is pulled in to full power, the kite isn't stalling. I only have trim all the way out when I'm in low end of the kites range.
This works well on all three kites. It's easy to set up by flying the kite on the beach.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 pm

This sounds an accurate description of a correctly trimmed foil kite and pretty much exactly how my Souls came out of the bag (and still remain).

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 pm
It's interesting discussion. I'm starting my second year with 3 foil kite quiver Hydrofoiling, a FS Sonic 2 13m, Hyperlink UL 9m and Hyperlink 7m.
All of these are rigged so kite has very slight backstall att full power with trim at full power. In that position the kite falls back slowly and then stops a bit back in window. Usually I'm riding with my Trimstrap pulled in 50-100mm, so when the bar is pulled in to full power, the kite isn't stalling. I only have trim all the way out when I'm in low end of the kites range.
This works well on all three kites. It's easy to set up by flying the kite on the beach.
Seems like an objective and reproducible way of setting up a kite. My question is when you do this on the beach, does it matter what the wind is? It seems that if the wind is stronger, kite might back stall more easily?? And if that is the case, one has to specify at what wind speed kite was tuned for.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm
TomW wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Seems like an objective and reproducible way of setting up a kite. My question is when you do this on the beach, does it matter what the wind is? It seems that if the wind is stronger, kite might back stall more easily?? And if that is the case, one has to specify at what wind speed kite was tuned for.
Good question! It's best if wind is moderate/light for that kite size. Definitely not an overpowered situation.

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 am

I helped okk to tune the kite on this video. To clarify:

- the back lines on the brand new FS airstyle 3.0 bar were way too long and had too much slack at full power.
- there was no setting (knots) that would shorten the lines enough to have it properly tuned, so we had to slide the floaters off and tie another knot.
- there was nothing wrong with the bridles or the mixer on the kite.

It only took a few minutes and was not a big deal. However, someone who is new to kiteboarding or foil kites may not realize this and loose a lot of performance. Also, from a consumer perspective, if someone spends $2400 on a kite and bar, they have the right to be somewhat annoyed if it doesn't fly perfect out of the bag. Having said that, I loved the kite - it's super stable, has a huge range, intuitive feel/ steering and boosts great.
Also, not sure if all Soul kites with Airstyle bars will be like this. But, it's worth a mention in a review, just to give consumers a heads up to watch out for it.
These users thanked the author vp for the post:
FLandOBX (Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:35 am

vp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:49 am
I helped okk to tune the kite on this video. To clarify:

- the back lines on the brand new FS airstyle 3.0 bar were way too long and had too much slack at full power.
- there was no setting (knots) that would shorten the lines enough to have it properly tuned, so we had to slide the floaters off and tie another knot.
- there was nothing wrong with the bridles or the mixer on the kite.

It only took a few minutes and was not a big deal. However, someone who is new to kiteboarding or foil kites may not realize this and loose a lot of performance. Also, from a consumer perspective, if someone spends $2400 on a kite and bar, they have the right to be somewhat annoyed if it doesn't fly perfect out of the bag. Having said that, I loved the kite - it's super stable, has a huge range, intuitive feel/ steering and boosts great.
Also, not sure if all Soul kites with Airstyle bars will be like this. But, it's worth a mention in a review, just to give consumers a heads up to watch out for it.
Thanks for that input, vp. It sounds like an unusual quality control issue that Flysurfer should address. But I suspect that most brand new Souls perform well out of the bag.

So, what can buyers reasonably expect from a new foil kite? The Hyperlink in OKk's test flew fine out of the bag. Most major brands seem to have decent quality control. Heck, my Pansh Aurora II flew fine out of the bag. As you said, if someone spends $2400 on a Soul, he or she should be able to rely on it to fly fine out of the bag, too.

Obviously, every foil will require fine-tuning for wind conditions with the de-power strap, but no new foil kite should require the user to first eliminate what looks like 6"-8" of slack from the back lines just to get to the point that the kite can be fine-tuned with the de-power strap. I'm pretty confident that Flysurfer would agree with that opinion, and I suspect that they meet expectations 95% of the time. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
vp (Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 am

Kind of weird that back lines on the bar were too long im sure with all batches of goods there are a few bad ones but this seems a little weird . Could it be that the operator is just not used to a foil kite and how it looks with bar fully in . An interesting test would be to adjust the trimstrap for full power and see if all 4 lines are equal.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:50 am

FS has been doing this with their bars for quite some time. The original 3 gallery Speed 4 had a lot of people abandon the kite early because it would not turn - rear lines too long.

The upside is older FS bars may have less rear line shrink than some other brands.

It would help their brand just to have another knot under the floater to further lengthen the rear lines and ship the bar trimmed right.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am

There is some confusion about whether people are discussing the kite or the bar. It has been the experience of several people I know who have attached a bar with 4 equal lines to a brand new Soul and found the "back lines" to be too long. I suspect this was also what reviewer experienced.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

slowboat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am
There is some confusion about whether people are discussing the kite or the bar. It has been the experience of several people I know who have attached a bar with 4 equal lines to a brand new Soul and found the "back lines" to be too long. I suspect this was also what reviewer experienced.
This is purposely done from flysurfer to help compensate for shrinking steering lines. This is why it takes roughly 5 hours to break in a new kite and bar.

Return to “Foil Kites”