Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby andylc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 pm

10m FS Soul KO = £1484 RRP, 9m Hyperlink £1404
10m New LEI kite eg Naish Pivot £1189, Cabrinha SB £1419, Enduro V2 £1224.
So yes they are a bit more expensive, but since we are talking about facts, they are not 2-3 times the price!

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:19 pm

andylc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 pm
So yes they are a bit more expensive, but since we are talking about facts, they are not 2-3 times the price!
You can easily buy LEI with 30%-50% discount at the end of season and you start to have 2x higher price.
Foil kite hardly get any discount however they lose less value hence price difference start to disappear.

There is other thing to mention if you don't mind how foil kite fly you can probably get away with 2 foil kite quiver i.e. 8 & 15m which should cover 10-35kts wind range depending on your weight board type, where with LEI you probably would need 3-4 kite to cover such a range.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:24 pm

Here is Part 2 for the comparison
Comparing the Soul vs. the Hyperlink V1 on a Twin Tip & a Hydrofoil.
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post:
FLandOBX (Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:08 pm

You do a really good job with production quality and some of the graphics. Your observations are also good but I question the conclusion that Soul is better for the less experienced foiler. I would think a lower aspect kite like the HL would be easier to fly when trying to learn foiling moves.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 pm

I agree, excellent review. A couple comments:

1. I was born and raised in Utah. “Ute” is being too kind, “Utard” is the proper designation.
2. The 15 minutes you spent trying to get a snarled Soul kite to straighten out will decrease with experience. So far, I have never had to pack up the kite due to an unfixable bow-tie with the Soul. However, on higher aspect kites like the Chrono 2 or Sonic 2 that has been an issue.
3. You really should consider a part 3 and 4. Part 3 - how the kites compare in powered up conditions. The Soul 12m Soul really shine when you hit 20 knots. Due to the copious amount of depower, you can boost huge and still come down soft as a feather and ride controlled. I am not sure how the Hyperlink performs in similar conditions. Part 4 would be wave riding. Part 5 Snow Kiting. And, part 6 land, part 7 skateboard... :rollgrin:
4. I like the back line depower line that Ozone has on the bar, but in powered up conditions, it is not much of a help. I agree that a good fixed depower system is needed. I usually get the kite near the ground and flag out the kite to land. It works, but it is not an elegant solution.
5. Turning speed - You mentioned in the video, that you felt that you had a 2 meter power advantage to an LEI kite, that is true (foils are flatter and more efficient than LEIs). So for example, I found that a Soul 10m has similar power as a 12m Core XR5. When you compare the turning speed for those 2 kites, the foil doesn’t seem slow anymore.

Thanks again for the excellent review!
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:33 am)

geron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Another part that was not reviewed was WIND RANGE; specially on the tt: If you can go better upwind with the Sole ?? then the wind range on the tt goes up since this is the limiting factor.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 pm

geron wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 pm
Another part that was not reviewed was WIND RANGE; specially on the tt: If you can go better upwind with the Sole ?? then the wind range on the tt goes up since this is the limiting factor.
To test wind range he would have to own both kite for a while to ride with very different condition. My guess is that Soul is likely to have slightly larger wind range as it's higher AR and sits further on the edge of wind window.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm

The whole part about the kites contributions, or lack there of, to being able to surface gybe on the Hydrofoil is actually irrelevant.
Kyle, you have to keep your kite lower in transitions, it's your technique.
Ok granted, The Soul compensated for poor Hydrofoiling / kiting technique. Thing is, you'll soon learn better techniques and then the results change...
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:32 am)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Part 2 of the review is not that great coming from my experience I was disagreeing with plenty of things.
andylc wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 pm
10m Pansh Aurora 2 ...£188. lol

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:17 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm
The whole part about the kites contributions, or lack there of, to being able to surface gybe on the Hydrofoil is actually irrelevant.
Kyle, you have to keep your kite lower in transitions, it's your technique.
Ok granted, The Soul compensated for poor Hydrofoiling / kiting technique. Thing is, you'll soon learn better techniques and then the results change...
TomW, this is a statement that I completely agree with you on. But this review was to address my current ability level when comparing the two kites. My opinion is that there are many entry level hydrofoilers at the same point in progression as myself. Maybe not, maybe I should be the "Almost OK Kiteboarder" :D . Progression in an inland lake environment can be very slow and seasonal as well. To assume that the Hyperlink will long term give me more success on a hydrofoil, is not something I would argue, but also not an assumption that many (myself included) would like to invest in when their level doesn't match that performance expectation. Keeping the kite lower for transitions is definitely a deficiency, but when the winds increase for the entry level hydrofoiler, you can tell them to keep the kite lower over and over, but the results remain the same. These are some of the reasons that my conclusion was that the Soul filled a larger spectrum of ability levels and the Hyperlink may shine with the more advancing hydrofoiler. Thanks as always for your input TomW. It is solid advice, just not advice I can currently carry out. :D
These users thanked the author Okkiteboarder for the post:
sonny2727 (Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”