Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

For all foil kite riders
User avatar
mgs
Medium Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:55 am
Favorite Beaches: Maldives Blue Lagoons
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono (V1) 18m/12m/9m
Ozone R1 (V1) 15m
Ozone Hyperlink (V1) 12m, 9m V1
Zap Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)
Location: England
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby mgs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm
mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
With respect :-)
Both kites are of different designs, so the differences noted should be based on that fact.
The FS offers some neat features, such as little line connections, adjustable speed and bridle system.
With respect to the comment starting at 5.00 regarding back line adjustment, this is covered in the FS Soul manual page 21 – Ref 12.04. https://flysurfer.com/project/soul/
I did the back line adjustment for when I had Tube kites,same principle applies for foil kites.
Checking and adjusting back lines if needed is standard practice no matter if the kite is new or used and is a “easy procedure” in my opinion.
mgs, to clarify. The tuning on the Soul for the back lines had to extend beyond the common and pre-equipped adjustments that the Soul provides.
Hello and okay.
Making an extra knot as the existing knot (s) wasn’t enough to take up the slack in the back lines is not what you were expecting to do,but this is something I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned with.However, this is your personal review so fair enough.
All the best.
These users thanked the author mgs for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm)
Rating: 10%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby slowboat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm
mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
With respect :-)
Both kites are of different designs, so the differences noted should be based on that fact.
The FS offers some neat features, such as little line connections, adjustable speed and bridle system.
With respect to the comment starting at 5.00 regarding back line adjustment, this is covered in the FS Soul manual page 21 – Ref 12.04. https://flysurfer.com/project/soul/
I did the back line adjustment for when I had Tube kites,same principle applies for foil kites.
Checking and adjusting back lines if needed is standard practice no matter if the kite is new or used and is a “easy procedure” in my opinion.
mgs, to clarify. The tuning on the Soul for the back lines had to extend beyond the common and pre-equipped adjustments that the Soul provides.
Hello and okay.
Making an extra knot as the existing knot (s) wasn’t enough to take up the slack in the back lines is not what you were expecting to do,but this is something I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned with.However, this is your personal review so fair enough.
All the best.
On this discussion about adjusting for slack back lines, are you referring to adjustments on the kite bridal or the bar end? Thanks

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 pm

mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:56 pm
mgs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:52 pm
......
With respect to the comment starting at 5.00 regarding back line adjustment, this is covered in the FS Soul manual page 21 – Ref 12.04. https://flysurfer.com/project/soul/
I did the back line adjustment for when I had Tube kites,same principle applies for foil kites.
Checking and adjusting back lines if needed is standard practice no matter if the kite is new or used and is a “easy procedure” in my opinion.
mgs, to clarify. The tuning on the Soul for the back lines had to extend beyond the common and pre-equipped adjustments that the Soul provides.
Hello and okay.
Making an extra knot as the existing knot (s) wasn’t enough to take up the slack in the back lines is not what you were expecting to do,but this is something I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned with.However, this is your personal review so fair enough.
All the best.
This adjustment might not concern me after a few years of flying the kite, but a brand new out-of-the bag kite shouldn't require new knots to adjust the steering lines so the kite will perform properly. Maybe it's not a deal killer, but it's definitely worth noting in a kite review. There are a lot of people who just won't tolerate that level of adjustment on a brand new $2500 kite. Just my 2 cents, of course.

By the way, OKk, I appreciate your reviewing these two kites. A lot of us have been trying to piece together a comparison from various opinions here and there, but yours is the first head-to-head video comparison of these kites that I've seen. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

On this discussion about adjusting for slack back lines, are you referring to adjustments on the kite bridal or the bar end? Thanks
Based on the video, it looks like new knots were added to adjust the back lines at the bar.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3341
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:20 am
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 am

FLandOBX wrote: This adjustment might not concern me after a few years of flying the kite, but a brand new out-of-the bag kite shouldn't require new knots to adjust the steering lines so the kite will perform properly. Maybe it's not a deal killer, but it's definitely worth noting in a kite review. There are a lot of people who just won't tolerate that level of adjustment on a brand new $2500 kite. Just my 2 cents, of course.
Tying knots is basic kiteboarding skill set. If you can't then you are not really competent. Yes making adjustments on new gear is never ideal. But there is a history to this with foil kites. Also consider that line shrinks when unused, so if the stock is old it is likely to need adjustment.
mar menor wrote: "I was on flag beach recently - there was ozone team to shoot HL V2 and alpha"
So will be interesting to compare the V2 Hyperlink and the changes
It is great more medium AR foils are getting development. The hyperlink is more my style than the soul. I wish Ozone would close cell some of their other foils, which I like even more.
winduser wrote: My friend had a ozone foil. The bridles need adjustments so it cost him 300.00 for new bridles plus 2 hours to replace all of them. With Flysurfer you do a mixer test that take 10 minutes.No other cost. I know that many kiters do not understand the mixer tests . They think that only Flysurfer will have bridle adjustments to be done...
This is not right. The only bridle parts you should be replacing are broken bits or pulley lines that wear. All bridles are adjustable, all you need is some appropriate line and knots. Usually though you can restretch things or tie adjustments in existing components. One thing with Ozone is a lack of LCLs makes bridle fixing a huge pain.

The Flysurfer mixer test is overrated and over complicated in someways. It's standard adjustment to level things can make things worse and it has no Z adjustment which is the main adjustment needed.
Okkiteboarder wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm
A new project I've been working on to compare two of the most popular foil kites on the market today. The SOUL VS. HYPERLINK SHOWDOWN.
Great video.

I will comment on the zip vs velcro. Flysurfer had velcro then went to zips for a long while then back to velcro. Zips have a problem of wearing out, corroding, getting stuck and breaking. They be fine for a few years and regular use. Pulling out a kite after it's shelved for a month or so to have a corroded stuck zip is not fun. You can use plastic zips so they don't corrode but they wear faster..

Packing on the water, I am not a expert but you more want a smaller opening so to keep air pressure up as you roll so to prevent lots of water getting in the kite. With zips I have always only partially opened them for this. Though my limited experience I may be wrong.

For deflation towards the TE is worse. The thicker part of the wing allows better airflow out. A zip near the LE on the back is best I think. Neither HL or Soul has this. You could open the center cell on the HL and it should deflate ok. Overall I think I prefer a zip, as long as it is just a standard style, so easy to replace and plastic and isn't too long. The HL zip is way too long like old FS ones were.

User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1334
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 am

foilholio wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 am
FLandOBX wrote: This adjustment might not concern me after a few years of flying the kite, but a brand new out-of-the bag kite shouldn't require new knots to adjust the steering lines so the kite will perform properly. Maybe it's not a deal killer, but it's definitely worth noting in a kite review. There are a lot of people who just won't tolerate that level of adjustment on a brand new $2500 kite. Just my 2 cents, of course.
Tying knots is basic kiteboarding skill set. If you can't then you are not really competent.
Very informative input.......if we were we discussing the ability to tie knots. :roll:

winduser
Medium Poster
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:24 pm
Gear: 2014
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby winduser » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 am

Foilholio
This is not right. The only bridle parts you should be replacing are broken bits or pulley lines that wear. All bridles are adjustable, all you need is some appropriate line and knots. Usually though you can restretch things or tie adjustments in existing components. One thing with Ozone is a lack of LCLs makes bridle fixing a huge pain.
Tell me where I can find the information of the lines length on Ozone site. The dealer told him that he have to buy all new bridles . Lines stretches. You have many bridles it is not a guessing game... On a bar you have 4 lines it is easy to fix . Not so easy on bridles on a foilkite . So many lines.
So easy with a mixer test....

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:16 am
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 am

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm
A new project I've been working on to compare two of the most popular foil kites on the market today. The SOUL VS. HYPERLINK SHOWDOWN.

Nice video. But can't help feeling it is a bit of a pity that you did not wait a bit for the Hyperlink V2. Maybe your second video can be SOUL VS. HYPERLINK V1 VS. HYPERLINK V2??
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm)
Rating: 10%

mikesids
Medium Poster
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 pm
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby mikesids » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 am

@prfctChaos, when is the Hyperlink v2 due out? There is zero mention of it on the Web- maybe you know something that the rest of us don't?

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:16 am
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Hyperlink V1 - Video Comparison

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 am

mikesids wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:00 am
@prfctChaos, when is the Hyperlink v2 due out? There is zero mention of it on the Web- maybe you know something that the rest of us don't?
Yea, I had to do some asking around to find out, because I'm keen to see what changes were made and I'm in the market for a small one for foiling. (Really like the way it flies, but there are always one or two details that can be improved / unnecesary things taken away)

Don't know a exact date, but should be soon (days not weeks).


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests