For all foil kite riders
RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil Kite Setup Time

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Hello,
I have never flown a foil kite before. I kite regularly but have very little session time given children/job, typically 60-90 minute TOTAL session length including setup/commute - "babe I'll be back in an hour and a half"

I can walk onto the beach and be riding with my Airush ultra in 5 minutes (I have timed it).

How long does it take to setup the HL or Soul from walking on the beach to riding? I'm moving to florida and may want something for superlight conditions...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Foil Kite Setup Time

Postby PullStrings » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 pm

OK from what we can see you are experienced (2001)
The kite that takes you 5 minutes in a 9 sqm correct ?
Were you keeping your lines on to get that time ?

If you have your technique down & tall pump you can have a size 17 sqm (with 5 struts) lines already on....up & launched also in 5 minutes....and a bit faster..if 3 struts

Ram air kites in medium & large size do take less time...let's say if you are good at it...about 2 minutes less...about 40% faster

Ram airs are definitely better & faster with their own bar & lines always attached to kite

Owned many ram airs ... setting them up around 150 times a year...during 6 years using them

Gave up on ram airs in the end....... but kept one of their best quality ...."Lines on ".... for set-up speed
Last edited by PullStrings on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Hej,
I'm in same situation. But can add that I often kite alone or there's no one to help launch.
Foil set up is basically the same time as LEI. But then I just hook in back up and go. No hunting for help( if there is any), or doing a teather set-up that I'd have to set up. So I save time.
Landing and rolling up is faster.
Part of it is that lines are already attached to the bar.
I've been flying foil kites 1 year now after 17 years on lei. My launches are either grass or sand.
Overall it's less hassle

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I'd say it really depends on experience, some methods of packing, bridle lines thickness and mixer structure.

With my old kite the setup was quite easy and fast, untangling the lines was not a problem, so about 5 minutes and I was ready. Soul on the other hand ain't that fast. I have to check bridles and mixer for waaay longer, just to ensure that everything's fine. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes 20. People with inflatables who went with me on the spot at the same time are long gone riding.

Maybe there are ways to prevent this, I don't know them just yet, but I saw people set up their FS Speeds in less than 5 minutes, just made sure that bar lines ain't twisted.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Once you understand the bridle, setup time is certainly no worse. If you pack the kite correctly its as simple as unrolling the lines and putting the kite in the air. But I think you have to spend as much time packing as you would save in setup.

If you can roll the kite quickly and then pack it nicely at home you will save beach time but not over all time.

One option is parapacking the lines so you stake the bar and then just pull the kite downwind and unfurl the kite.

Another is to pack the kite so the wind unrolls the kite: Put the bridle on the bottom skin and fold the kite lengthwise so the bridle is inside the fold, kite lines coming out at the center of the kite. Roll both tips to the center. On the beach you just open a little bit and the wind unrolls and inflates the kite as soon as you tense the lines a little.

Now I'm changing bars on my foil kites and so no setup time advantage. Also I can't be bothered with putting the kite up so carefully.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 pm
How long does it take to setup the HL or Soul from walking on the beach to riding? I'm moving to florida and may want something for superlight conditions...
Depends on spot and wind condition for sure, but if you have no spot, but just shallow water:

it is 90 sec, to get it up. If you have a spot, maybe down to 60 sec + grabing your board...

if you have no spot, not even shallow water:
https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/was ... ejunkie-25
About 5 minutes.

to pack down again without spot:

about 7 minutes.

on a spot, if you do it well, which is an important requirement for fast unpacking:
https://kitejunkie.com/slides/slide/mat ... ng-2017-87
about 5 minutes.

Somewhere here I have writen another long explanation about packing... try to find it.
Most important secret is not to wind up slowly and precise but especially to wind most of the bridle lines till the tipps, than you can never have any relevant tangles when unpacking.

But kites as HL or Soul will be a good choice and even easier than the freerace kites you see in the videos. Just take your time to learn it well right from the start.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 pm

With bar attached i definitely can launch kite under minute. I have custom carbon bar that i can just go from kite and lines are unwinding themselves so its very quick affair.
But you need to understand bridles and have system. I dont untwist lines at all. I trust myself and any twist there is in lines im dealing with in the air.

But one kite one bar was always my policy - also with leis - so i has always quickest setup.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 am

Don’t have any foil kites any more,found them too much hassle. But, on a sandy beach, if you leave the lines attached, foil kites can set up faster than any Lei. Take down might be a bit longer, so maybe a wash in the end. But total time between set up and take down- a foil kite can at least match an Lei, and likely beat it.

If your beach isn’t wide and sandy, or if you have to dry your kite, just use and inflatable.

All that said, an extra minute in setup doesn’t count for much for me, i would be more worried about the one-in-twenty swims, or the semi-regular line checks. You may get on the water faster for most sessions, but I don’t think you spend less total time fussing with your kite on the beach. That was my experience at least, but I gave up in foils pretty quickly, and others have probably had different experiences.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
PullStrings (Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 am

For the question: 9m Ultra, lines not attached. I just pump it up, run the lines and attach them, attach a U.go Gopro setup, and then self launch by pulling the rear line to rotate it and launch. 5 minutes total.

I have big sandy beaches and will have them in Florida also.

I just want to know if it's 15+ minutes, which seems like it might be for awhile...

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:45 am

Those videos indicate that it is possible to launch in 1-2 minutes with advanced practice/knowledge/skill, which is encouraging

Return to “Foil Kites”