jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: help with a tangle!

Postby jakemoore » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm

LOL.

My first bridled foil kite was a 12.5 psycho1. I got a smoking deal because it tried to kill the first owner and left him with a birds nest in the bridle. He passed the nest on to me.

Ive done it both ways. The biggest danger of disconnecting the lines is Foilholio getting his panties tied in a knot.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 am

Why the heck would you guys disconnect the bridles on a foil kite its all a closed loop meaning there are no loose ends . all it takes is some shaking , or sometimes u may have to pass some bridles through each other but disconnecting probally makes things worse.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:09 am

I find that if you clear the A line, starting from kite end rest works fine. With the Soul I've had tangle leaving the kite unattached to bar flapping in wind took 1/2 or so to untangle but I find Soul bridal tangle more due to slippery material. Some kites have stiff bridal lines makes it easy to pass A line after creating some kind of tunnel through birds nest to mixer ...then pull mixer through the tunnel towards kite end...I do detach bars as I use 27m lines and 23m lines so to keep lines tight use another bar piece or tie left and right together put in Velcro centre hole..

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 pm

thanks so much for the help folks, when you say 'clear the A line from the kite end' do you mean disconnect A from the kite and work it through?

thanks

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:25 pm

No. Keep all bridles attached to kite. Just concentrate on A and untangle that gallery first. Start at the kite and work towards the rider.

Detach the lines and bar from the kite. Or dont.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 pm
I want to say you are both idiots. Honestly Jakemoore I am surprised with you disconnecting things, I thought you were a foil veteran? 30 minutes untangling is just silly and what disconnecting things gets you if you are lucky, unlucky is hours. Inflatos are the same, you can get a true nightmare if you disconnect those lines.
well.
i want to say you are a cun*..
(but i won't)

you'd think a grown-up could disagree with someone without resorting to ad hominen in this day and age.
:-/

concerning tangles..i simply wrote my experience (right or wrong) when i had a huge mess of a tangle
i also made a comment of 'isolating and freeing the 4 lines'....which makes things much easier.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
jakemoore (Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Yep you can say that. Honestly don't view it as an adhom but statement of what I view as really stupid advice to disconnect things for a tangle. I am actually surprised even more given Jakemoores experience. You will see above that he may say remove the lines but stops at the bridles. But that is what things quickly deteriorate into with disconnecting things to solve a tangle. You only have to look at some other posts to see that people have gone that route.

There may be some confusion on Jakemoores part given the thread he started. Having a rule to not disconnect things to resolve a tangle is not to be confused with disconnecting your bar and lines because you swap bar between kites. This is perfectly reasonable especially if you travel, but overall it is much less hassle to have one bar per kite and leave it on. I understand bar and lines are expensive at the shop, but that is not necessarily what they should cost as they can be made or assembled very cheaply. I think they have become a profit item for struggling kite companies. The single bar for many kites is a bit of a false economy as you will end up needing to replace that one bar more often. Where as with multiple bars they can basically last the life of the kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”