Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Re: Upcycling older R1V2s

Postby mgs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm

I took delivery of a used R1 V1 (15m) 2015 last year, it was in reasonable condition.

Canopy
Cleaned canopy and inspected for holes and damage. All pretty good other than fading of the fabric.

Sand in Trailing Edge
There was extremely fine sand stuck in the trailing edge, never had this with any of my kites before.
The sand was so fine it was able to pass through between the stitches and was tightly compressed within the seam.
Unpicked the trailing edge seam to remove the sand and then re-stitched having set my sewing machine to sew with a higher stitch per inch rate.

Zip
The coating on the zip pull and slider had worn off in places.
Repainted zip pull and slider with Humbrol gloss paint and now looks as good as new.

Speed System
As expected the speed system was out of tune and interestingly enough the previous owner had moved the knot on PB1 towards the kite in order to slacken off “Z” to “counter act” the effect of shrunken pulley lines.
Replaced pulley lines and converted speed system to be fully adjustable and retuned.

Bridle
The bridle was in good order so no need to make and replace any of the bridles.

A quick tweak of the speed system and the kite fly's perfectly.
It is possible to buy used kites rather new, thus saving a lot of money.Just a question of finding the kite you want at the right price and condition.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:33 am

Yes,

picked up used R1V1 for AU$700 9mnts ago. Really nice kite for the job at hand. Sand is annoying tho, have no idea how FS manages that, the stitches count looks similar, even on Soul.
The tip folding is a bugger, but in the proces of making 17m lines, should be ok I've been told.

How did you check the speed system? Any link?

Thanks

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 pm

FS handles sand similar to water. Using holes in the cell walls. Most importantly in the very TE the cell wall is empty. The second part is permanent openings in the tip TE that serve to bleed air and with it sand.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:16 am

Ha ha,

you do realise we are talking about super fine sand in the sewing? There are people out there who made tiny holes for sand to drain...

The FS is not having the same issue on Sonic, but it will happen on Soul. Why not on Sonic? Look at the webbing on TE. Soul has the same TE as Ozone.

This happens only when the kite is put in a drink, and dragged on the sand beach with heaps of water inside. For sure not happening elsewhere and might not happen to everyone.

Been through this with my R1 many many times...
IMG_0417.resized.JPG

Back to topic, picked up the RainX product yesterday, wondering if it will work on kite fabric :)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:01 am

I have never seen a problem with sand in the sewing. Maybe you mean in the seams? Like the TE folded seam? Sand gets stuck in that. You can wash the sand out with a hose. Best solution would be not to use a covered seam. A simple zigzag stitch with no cover doesn't hold sand.

I would be wary of products you apply to the fabric. Some are temporary, like oils and can make it difficult to later apply better products as they won't stick. A lot of things will improve water repellency, but you actually want to improve air tightness.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 am

Yes, seams.

Impossible to wash on R1. Zigzag with no straight stitch on LE side? Than *with* straight stitch sand would still go into zigzag, no? As said, Sonic has no issue with a sand and that is I recon because of webbing they are using. Use softer webbing is like using a glue, it seals the seams. Nothing can seal the seam for sand when just sewn over. Look at wet suits, sealed and just sewn.

No one can improve air tightness on used kites. If one in a million can, that is the exception in statistics ;)

Anyways, that's conversation for kite making...

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:50 am

Well with Flysurfer you can wash the seam out, just need to squirt the water in strong enough.

Just a 3 stitch zigzag holding top and bottom together at the TE. Sand doesn't get stuck. I think you can do a double row and sand still does'nt stay.

You can certainly improve the air tightness of fabric with coatings. This is what is so special about some of Flysurfer's coatings, they leak nearly no air. The use status of fabric doesn't usually affect the effectiveness of coatings. In fact more used kites benefit more from a new coating. There are coatings, like used on Pansh, which I would say are silicone based that prevent sticking a new coat on. So in those cases maybe recoating the fabric is not possible. But for most fabric I don't think there is an issue. Lotus I don't know, which is like Pansh. But then SBR which I use for recoating which is also like lotus, you can stick to old stuff. It would be easy enough to test the adhesion with a small drop.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:33 am
Yes,

picked up used R1V1 for AU$700 9mnts ago. Really nice kite for the job at hand. Sand is annoying tho, have no idea how FS manages that, the stitches count looks similar, even on Soul.
The tip folding is a bugger, but in the proces of making 17m lines, should be ok I've been told.

How did you check the speed system? Any link?

Thanks
Please see link for checking the speed system alignment. https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... -Check.pdf
Being able to check it is all well and good,but it's not adjustable.
Thankfully this thread was started which showed how to realign the speed system as well as the many ways it can be done.
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2390593
I’m now working on my third version.

Return to “Foil Kites”