Well pleased with tuned Pansh Aurora 12m2 ultra lite

For all foil kite riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Well pleased with tuned Pansh Aurora 12m2 ultra lite

Postby revhed » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 am

Out foiling yesterday in 6-8 knots, some times a little less, with Pansh Aurora 12m2 UL, bought for half, half price, cheap!
Made full carbon bar 65 cm for more thro.
Added pig tails A,s at wing tips to help stop wing tip tuck.
40 m lines with very thin steering.
70 cm trim thro and 50 cm trim adjust available.
And at least for me a HUGE break thru....
I have BAD habit of "choking" my poor kites when doing lite wind looping foiling water starts, no excuses but have to wear long
seat harness to protect my old fragile back so getting in a "ball" for less lever to aide getting up on board I pull the bar to help.
Added two line sliding trim line "stopper" BELOW bar to act as stopper at about half trim.
But even with custom smaller bar thru hole to help block will still move when wet and pulling hard to get up on board.
I not even close to on purpose used one hand on trim lines just below stopper and other hand pulling bar end to do loop.
Worked so well, next needed water start on bad side same trick but no slider only hand, worked so fine even 2 consecutive loops!
I feel that maybe having one hand on trim lines below bar acting as temporary stopper,and other steering helps me to get "smaller" and forget about over pulling bar therefore killing kite forward speed and pull and concentrate on board direction for efficient water start angle.
I will still leave upper AND lower trim line stoppers as some times fly kite as old style no trim option as just works!
I adjust so NO bar thro and have foiled in almost perfect low wind thermals with out needing any bar trim.Kinda fun!
R H
These users thanked the author revhed for the post:
foilholio (Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

regisurf
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Well pleased with tuned PANSH Aurora 12m2 ultra lite

Postby regisurf » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 am

Salut,

Pourrais-tu montrer ta barre en photo stp.

J'ai acheté la même Pansh mais n'ai pas encore eu l'occasion de l'essayer sur l'eau.

Merci

Régis

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Well pleased with tuned Pansh Aurora 12m2 ultra lite

Postby foilholio » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Cue Toby to scold you for not using english :-) Bar does sound nice though.

Nice post Revhed. Look at viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2402393 to maybe get some more performance.

Pansh is the best value you will find. It's good you are enjoying the kite.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:07 pm

revhed wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 am
Added pig tails A,s at wing tips to help stop wing tip tuck.
I am also interested. But are you serious? 40 m lines? And what do mean by "Added pig tails A,s at wing tips"? Wouldn't the Aurora fly right out of the bag? You can also answer in french, but personal mail, people don't like it publicly ...

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Also a few questions:
revhed wrote:
Added pig tails A,s at wing tips to help stop wing tip tuck
Did you do a Mixer test before and after your adding your A pigtails, and can you share the Mixer values and pigtail lengths and/or A-lengths?

On my 8m Aurora2 I was able to tune the kite by only extending the A-lines also, I found:
(A) Stock, Mixer A=Z, B=+2.25”, C=+1.5”; A-length=46.75” Flys far forward, stable +/-30deg and lower, unstable higher above, gusts push kite forward then the lulls cause unstable recovery.
(B) Mod1, Mixer A=Z, B=+0.75”, C=+0.5”; A-length=49.25”, Flys less forward, stable overhead and lower, good feel/control over the kite, recovers from gusts.
(C) Mod2, Mixer A=Z, B=0”, C=0”; A-length=49.75”, Flys even less forward, stable overhead and lower, good feel/control over the kite, recovers from gusts, wingtips tuck a little when flown below 45deg.
I have used the 8m on a landboard, which like a foil, only needs a strong initial pull to get going then need lots of depower to ride. I went back to (B) Mod1 as it handles best.
Did you try other line lengths and settle on 40m and/or why 40m? How thin are the steering lines?

I use 30m (600# Front, 500# Steering) on the 8m and found it is about the best length to get the most light wind power and still be able to have acceptable (but slow) control. I use a 52cm bar and saw you use a 65cm bar, assume the longer bar and thinner steering lines improve steering/control.
Out foiling yesterday in 6-8 knots, some times a little less…
I was surprised I could fly and ride the 8m (regular fabric) in 6 knots too (but I assume 30m and 40m up we get a bit more than the weather stations record).
8mAurora2Wind5-6.jpg
8mAurora2Wind5-6.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Tomlutz wrote: I am also interested. But are you serious? 40 m lines? And what do mean by "Added pig tails A,s at wing tips"? Wouldn't the Aurora fly right out of the bag? You can also answer in french, but personal mail, people don't like it publicly ...

40m lines depending on the spot could allow you to gain access to much better wind. Say in offshore conditions or built up areas. They also allow a much longer power stroke for the kite. That length is quite common among hydrofoilers. I find for surfing longer lines give better drift, but worse in other ways. Best is to use extensions to lines as needed.

The pigtails would be just little extensions attached at the A LCLs or attachments on the wing tip area. The effect will limit depower and alter the camber(reducing it) of the kite there. You could alternatively or also make alterations to other bridles there. For example you could extend Z there which would improve stability too. Extending A at the tips can be a good solution. A will shrink more at the tips. This will make them less stable, as that increases camber and depower. You could restretch the bridles, but a more permanent solution like pigtails may prove less hassle or more effect in the long term.
PugetSoundKiter wrote: On my 8m Aurora2 I was able to tune the kite by only extending the A-lines also, I found:
(A) Stock, Mixer A=Z, B=+2.25”, C=+1.5”; A-length=46.75” Flys far forward, stable +/-30deg and lower, unstable higher above, gusts push kite forward then the lulls cause unstable recovery.
(B) Mod1, Mixer A=Z, B=+0.75”, C=+0.5”; A-length=49.25”, Flys less forward, stable overhead and lower, good feel/control over the kite, recovers from gusts.
(C) Mod2, Mixer A=Z, B=0”, C=0”; A-length=49.75”, Flys even less forward, stable overhead and lower, good feel/control over the kite, recovers from gusts, wingtips tuck a little when flown below 45deg.
I have used the 8m on a landboard, which like a foil, only needs a strong initial pull to get going then need lots of depower to ride. I went back to (B) Mod1 as it handles best.
Did you try extending Z? and maybe C. You could then achieve the same results by just controlling the bar in or using the trimmer. Benefit then is you could still access full depower when appropriate.

For example with (B) Mod1, Mixer A=Z, B=+0.75”, C=+0.5”. If you remove your A extensions and instead, lengthen Z +6" and C +2", you would then have the same mixer test ,(B) Mod1, Mixer A=Z, B=+0.75”, C=+0.5”, but not change the maximum depower or depower limit by way of not altering B. You could achieve the same depower limit, with the bar or trimmer pulling in for 4x what you originally shortened A. For your Mod1 you lengthened A 2.5" that would mean you lost 10" of depower throw, a massive amount!

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am

Any idea if this needs a high or low Y. I was thinking of using a north 5th element bar with but that has a high Y?

Thanks

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Yes you can use a high Y. It will just reduce lowend a fraction and make uncrossing lines harder. You may need to make some pigtails to get the line lengths correct. Some line with a 8 knot will do. Only other concern is if the fifth line or front line safety has enough travel. Fifth line is roughly 1/2 wingspan + some and Front line is roughly 1 to 1.5 wingspan.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:09 pm

Stoked your stoked. Well pleased might be a fairly literal translation from French, but you guys call it a mat so there’s that.

If we could all agree to just use the proper term stoked, it would drop a lot of ambiguity and confusion about just what it is your doing with your kites to so well please yourself!

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 am

revhed wrote:
...Added pig tails A,s at wing tips to help stop wing tip tuck.
Re-reading I see you added pigtails to A's at the wing tips (not all A's).

Return to “Foil Kites”