Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

New to Soul, Which Bar?

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello,
This week I ordered my first foil kite after 13 years of inflatables. I'm very excited about this. It is a 12m Flysurfer Soul. One of my questions is: Which is the most preferable bar & lines purchase for this foil kite? I've come to understand here on this forum that the FS Infinity3 might not be great. I've ordered the FS Infinity 2019 "upgrade" bar.... but I've only seen a crappy image and almost no information here on kiteforum. I've also checked around for a Core bar which with LEI kites I really like. I also have some older Naish below-the-bar depower bars stored in the garage.
But..... I'm new to this. Are there specific features I must include with a foil kite bar? More de-power? How about those steering line balls?
Thank You

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: New to Soul, Which Bar?

Postby foilholio » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:45 pm

Foils in general need more sheet/trim range and something nice to hold onto for relaunch like balls. Many bars can easily be altered to work better with foils.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:23 pm

i've used a slingshot and then cabrinha and now enata bars(15m lines) without problem..
i prefer the 60cm carbon enata primarily because it is it much lighter than the slingshot(while also being 60cm)

i've used core and cabrinha bars on smaller souls (6m and 8m)
i prefer the core bar (very "clean" and lightweight)...
(core sensor2 does not appear popular here...but i use/like it for everything EXCEPT the 12m soul)

i use a rope slider...and i've only used the quick releases to attach to my harness.
i've yet to flag out a foil kite on the water

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Ozone makes a good bar. I’m interested in this new 2019 “infinity” bar. I assumed they were going to name the new bar something else since it seems so different from the current bar. I wonder if that’s the name or if FS will be carrying two bars now. Personally for me, unless the new bar is superlight, my next bar will be a custom carbon.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Yes, If I could I'd like to go with a light carbon bar as for a few years I've been on Clouds and a super light DIY carbon bar. But... Cloud bars in general do not include a de-power adjuster.
Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm
Ozone makes a good bar. I’m interested in this new 2019 “infinity” bar. I assumed they were going to name the new bar something else since it seems so different from the current bar. I wonder if that’s the name or if FS will be carrying two bars now. Personally for me, unless the new bar is superlight, my next bar will be a custom carbon.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm

I use a BRM style bar with a Soul 10m, and it has plenty enough trim range. In light wind you can grab the steering lines to land it by back stalling, the balls on the lines aren't required. In stronger wind, land it on the side of the window with a helper.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 pm

Well... I have several BRM CCS bars here as I've been on Clouds for 3 years. But.... Don't we need a "cleat style" or some kind of trim adjuster? None of my CCS bars have trim adjusters.

jatem wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm
I use a BRM style bar with a Soul 10m, and it has plenty enough trim range. In light wind you can grab the steering lines to land it by back stalling, the balls on the lines aren't required. In stronger wind, land it on the side of the window with a helper.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:15 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 pm
Well... I have several BRM CCS bars here as I've been on Clouds for 3 years. But.... Don't we need a "cleat style" or some kind of trim adjuster? None of my CCS bars have trim adjusters.

jatem wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm
whether you shorten/lengthen the the front lines...or the back/steering lines....arent you doing the same thing?
correct me if i'm wrong but you'd be simply changing the trim of your kite either way, right?

without of using a cleat...with greg's bar simply you simply have the full 75-80cm of throw available all the time.
personally, i'd try your CCS bars and then report back here how it went
(i dont see a reason not to use them)

/maybe you'll only have to keep a mental note of your trim range...or place stoppers.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:27 am

Any front line safety 4 line bar will do. I use bars with and without trimmer. With and without backline strap. With and without balls on the rear lines to backstall the kite in for landing.

I like the ozone lei bars best.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:30 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 pm
They will work just fine without a trim adjuster.

Return to “Foil Kites”