Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

setting up foil kite in the water

For all foil kite riders
Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: setting up foil kite in the water

Postby Tomlutz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:19 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:50 pm
.... I simply felt advanced techniques require a warning....
Common mistake to think that more warnings make the world safer. It is the opposite. The more unnecessary (because risk is obvious) warnings and unreasonably interdictions, the more we tend to ignore them. Till such point we begin to ignore even the really important warnings and interdictions ...

In my own humble opinion there was no warning necessary here.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:47 am

I guess I saw this the other way around. There is no 40 ft of height or neck breaking speed to this type of endeavour. The risk is not very self evident. It’s in light air and flat water and it all goes so well. With a few sped up bits and a few choice edits it all looks deceptively quick and easy.

Take offence if you like, your welcome to your opinion, thanks for the help.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:31 pm

A foil kite is very different in this situation to a LEI. They will safely stick to the water and not generate power till well after they are flying and even then until they fully inflate. You can quite easily grab any line and flag while it is on the water. They just don't really death loop either.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Hmmm, let me see, I think it works like this: I saw something on Youtube, I think "how hard can it be?" Give it a go and nearly kill myself.
Blame everyone else for not warning me, stopping me etc. "It's not my responsibility for being an idiot/dickhead!"

What is the world coming to that we can't take responsibility for our actions? Some of us have to learn from our mistakes, and not be prevented/discouraged. How do you learn to ride a bike? You keep trying and falling until you figure it out. And some will die... but more often now from obesity and poor food choices. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... be8cfea6e7 Now thats something that needs a warning!
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
foilholio (Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Alright, I'm really only continuing here for fun, Don't get all upset or think I'm a safety nut. If you think I'm actually upset at the OP, just skip this and continue on with your misconceptions in tact.

This is not quite the same as posting many other feats of talent. It's an instructional clip that makes it look easy. It's not really. You need to be really good at light wind wet kite relaunch. The vast majority are not.

I'm not saying their kite is going to death loop them down the lake to their doom. I'm saying people will inevitably try it in more wind and chop than ideal, get their lines in a rats nest and kite full of water. The subtlety required with respect to dry fabric management, particular line tensioning, patients, ability to jig a wet kite up off the water in 10 knots. Its all pretty tricky.

It's a great video, with the most important parts covered quickly. Nice for the ones actually up to the task, and courteously sped up as not to be a time waster.

I have no experience unpacking a foil while swimming and getting it up off the water. I have more than enough experience swimming out with kites and drifting them to recognize that what LEI and foil have in common is enough to warrant restraint in advocating it to the masses. The swimming, board management, offshore nature of it, distance drifted, line management and deep water light wind relaunching is in my opinion not as easy as it looks when you speed it up and edit out the long moments of patience.

The patience alone counts out most kiters, especially the stoked! At our local we have an old ships harbour as one of our best launches. Now the observant would note that a harbour is generally chosen because its sheltered! A real downwind hole, but the area just upwind is fantastic. Not a drift launch, but there sure are commonalities. You can put a kite up on dry land easy enough, but have to hop in through an opening in the trees and drag yourself out far enough to get up and headed upwind. All summer long, I witness people's lack of patients cost them sessions. The time it takes to drag another 50m before they try to get up is just too much to ask sometimes! Kites drop on the daily and are swum in to the rocks, reset, launched and then dropped again. It happens all summer long. How can you not see a clip like this and just know in your bones that it's really only applicable for maybe 15% of kiters out there.

No big. This vid is not for most kiters. Thing is, you share the forum with everyone.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:47 am

electric fens.jpg
electric fens.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 819 times