Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

R1 V2 windrange and weight

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 am

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at R1 V2 as a second foil kite since they are cheap second hand now that V3 is out. Have 15m FS Soul but 10m Soul is too expensive and prefer a kite that can go upwind better so high AR. Seen Ozone chart of wind range but would like to see in real life what's possible for intermediate level - weigh 73kg on foil board and TT. Also the weight of the kite - somewhere I read top material is 37g and bottom 23 g so overall is it lighter than Soul - I'm interested in 10m size and Soul weighs 2kg.

In my list here are the good points of each kite:

R1 V2

1. Speed in straight line
2. upwind/downwind angle
3. low end Zenith parking
4. Easy packup and water packup
5. Windvrange
6. Low bar pressure
7. Cheaper second hand
8. Better foil board boosting
9. peak power for water start

Soul

1. Stability
2.Faster turn
3.Relaunch
4.No zip?
5. Better TT boosting ?
6.Wave riding
7.Durability?
8.mixer adjustment
9.continues power for water start

like here from people who have used R1 V2 and ideally those who used both kites, Sonic 2 is also a considered but prices still too high untill sonic 3 comes out
Cheers

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: R1 V2 windrange and weight

Postby davesails7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 am

sonny2727 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 am
like here from people who have used R1 V2 and ideally those who used both kites, Sonic 2 is also a considered but prices still too high untill sonic 3 comes out
Cheers
In the US, a used Sonic 2 almost half the price of a used R1V2. I just switched my whole quiver from Sonic 2's to R1V2's. I kept lowering prices on my Sonic 2's because they weren't selling. After a few weeks, I just sold the 11m for $600 for and $750 for the 18m. I bought my 11m, 15m, and 18m R1V2s used for $1200-$1400 each.

I haven't ridden the soul, so can't really compare to that. As far as Sonic 2 vs R1V2, I don't see much of a difference if you aren't racing. The R1V2 is faster upwind by 1-2 MPH. That's huge in a race, but barely noticeable when riding. I've heard others say R1V2 is way more stable than Sonic 2, but they seem the same to me. The R1V2 seems to jump a bit higher.

I feel like the Sonic 2 is just much more user friendly because of the details:
-Sonic 2 bridles don't tangle as much. I think this is because the bridle material is stiffer and the pullies are lighter on Sonic 2. The R1V2 turns into a ball of knots on me all the time with those heavy ball-bearing pullies flopping around!
-When you turn the Sonic 2 really hard it pivots in place. The R1V2 really doesn't want to backstall and pivot.
-The sonic 2 lotus material on the top skin is nice that it is 100% waterproof and doesnt collect sand after being in the water.
-Deflate on Sonic 2 is velcro, it's a zipper on the R1V2. The zipper gets jammed with sand, and you have to be careful not to zip the canopy and damage it (which I already did once :oops: )

Honestly, if I wasn't racing I would have stuck with my Sonic 2s.

Range on foil depends on what type of riding. I'm guessing you're not looking for ultimate low end since you have the 15m for that. I ride my race hydrofoil in about the same winds I would ride my twintip. For the 11m R1V2 on 12m lines that's about 16 knots to 24 knots. If you are looking for slow cruising on a big wing, your top end and low end will be much lower. Wind range seems the same as Sonic 2.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 am

thanks excellent comparison R1 v2 vs Sonic 2...

If the price is same I would go with R1 V2
1. Weight is lighter I think Sonic 2 11m 2.4kg now that's light at the time it came out but now with all the UL material I think it's not that light compared to R1 maybe under 2 kg..
this from French forum
----
If you look at the 15m, the sonic goes from 3.1 kg in V1 to 2.9 kg in V2, and the palm of lightness has this R1 V2 well below with 2.4 kg but perhaps temporary because I believe that the diablo is very very promising on this theme.

By extrapolating in 12m:
- the Sonic V2 = 2.65 kg
- Elf J7 = 2.4 kg
- R1 V2 = 2 kg
- (Pulse = 1.75 kg, with probably less projected area)
------
all things equal I think lighter kite will hang in longer in lulls
I do agree R1 is more technical but after 6 months I should be able to crack it like 19/20 relaunches ...actual flying the Soul is so non challenging hence unless you boost Soul is boring for me but other like cruising while day dreaming :)

2. In R1 V2 top canopy use more durable heavy material while in Sonic 2 top canopy use lighter lotus . here designer of R1 focus on abrasion on land while Sonic 2 focus on relaunch and it depends on what you value. for me 10M kite is high wind and relaunch is not critical since I have 15m Soul for testing low end

Boosting is what I look for so better boosting kite preferred but the problem is bar feel and timing need adjusting form Soul to R1 - but same can be true for Sonic 2.

Here's another review translated :)
Here is my small versus race wings, I have tested quite a few times, I will speak here only perf! To be clear on my versus, it concerns especially the sizes of 11 to 15m ², in short line and I personally owned the sonic v2, Peter lynn Aero and I just received the r1v2, and I wait aero2.

It's just me! In your opinion

Diablov4:
Quality -> Much better than the v3, better feeling, less truck, always TB speed and angle, superb glide to the Upwind, good speed in angle better than v3 -> less expensive than v3, Beach high at the top
Defect -> The bar deserves simpler at Y and Trim attached to the BC, Speed ​​system very thick ... harder to find its mark with this kite, probably because of the 'turbo'? Low range less good, they are made to be clothed at the cleat to be perf.

Diablov3:
Quality -> good descent in speed and angle
Default -> more truck upwind and less good angle and speed and unwieldy

Sonic race:
Quality -> Super upwind in angle and speed, seek tjs to accelerate (The best at the upwind)
Fault -> descent less good angle and speed, or so it must be ultra ultra ultra cloth ..

Sonic v2:
Quality -> Accessible
Default -> Medium upwind and downhill

PL aero v1:
Quality -> Good descent in speed and angle, maneuverability ++ (The best on the descent with the diablo)
Default -> a little truck at the upwind, high beach at the upwind hard to handle

R1v2:
Quality -> Most perf wing in general upwind and downhill angle and speed.
Default -> Upwind a little less good than the Sonic Race

Aerov2:
Quality -> Accessible but more technical than a sonic2
Default -> Fluctuation of the perf according to the sizes and the kites (factory?), Draws strong in the harness (depends on the feeling of each one ...), not transcendent compared to the v1 and the last kite of the market exit in same time.

My UPWIND perf ranking:
1 - Sonic Race / Diablo 4
2 - R1v2
3 - Diablo3 / Aero1 / Aero2
4 - Sonic 2

My Dowwind Perf Rank:
1 - Aero1 / Diablo3 / Diablo 4
2 - R1v2 / Aero2
3 - Sonic Race
4 - Sonic 2

My ranking Handling:
1 - R1v2 / Aero1 / Diablo4 (short line)
2 - Sonic 2
3 - Sonic Race
4 - Diablov3 / Aero2

My Accessibility Rank:
1 - Sonic 2 / Aero1
2 - R1v2 / Aero2 / Diablo 4
3 - Sonic Race / Diablo 3

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Not sure if you've seen this, includes all the weights: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... kVw-1vfMqR

Bar pressure on r1v2 is definitely lighter than sonic 2.

I dont think lotus cloth is a problem for longevity. I've seen very old speed 3 and 4 (I think?) with lotus cloth still being used. I think sonic2 will definitely last longer than r1v2, but that's why its heavier.

I have ridden 15m sonic VMG quite a bit also, and it is definitely fastest upwind and downwind, but it's harder to handle. When its gusty I crash a lot more on the VMG. Wouldnt recommend it for freeriding.
These users thanked the author davesails7 for the post:
sonny2727 (Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

microbirds
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami key west / dockweiler beach / Malibu ca
Style: sport - DLG RC Gliders
Gear: i had an old Rebel years back, hurt my back and had to rest for a few years. but go my eye on the North Rebel 2018 :p
Brand Affiliation: https://www.microbirds.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby microbirds » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:00 pm

you should check ebay, i have found some great deals, found an Ozone used for under 800 few months back
These users thanked the author microbirds for the post:
sonny2727 (Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:23 pm

I'll sell you my Sonic2 11m with a bar if you're looking for one...Great shape, beautiful kite with less than 20 hours on it. Thinking seriously about just keeping my 15m R1V2 for light wind and going back to tube kites in smaller sizes now that the new AV8 (Velocity) is a couple days away.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:23 pm
I'll sell you my Sonic2 11m with a bar if you're looking for one...Great shape, beautiful kite with less than 20 hours on it. Thinking seriously about just keeping my 15m R1V2 for light wind and going back to tube kites in smaller sizes now that the new AV8 (Velocity) is a couple days away.
thanks @mossey but I found a cheap used R1 and tested it yesterday. I'm pleasantly surprised how easy to fly it and the light weight makes it really smooth specially in up stroke. of course I'd not expect the same stability from R1 compared to Soul but overall its a good compromise. I think generally Ozone kites are lighter and less durable. So compared to Soul what are the negatives...
1. Looping is not the same as you would expect form high AR kite ..power surge comes later and timing is more critical in water start
2. Less stability
3. time will tell if the zipper get stuck :)

Positives
1. less bar pressure - sometimes Soul feels like a truck
2. stays in the air with less input in lighter winds - 10m official weight 1.8kg
3. fast
4. pack down is really easy . Soul got lot of air perhaps the most in any foil

I did use 62cm bar so this thing is really fast and loads of fun..
I think If you are not into Ollie Bridge style boosting or riding big wings like 633 then high AR kites make more sense for intermediate and advanced riders. I will keep Soul 15 cause when pushing low end relaunch after 20mins comes handy but for those who leave a 5-10 knt margin its not that relevant. Now I understand why most people at my local spot have high AR foils - since its not a wave spot fun is where you do speed runs and boost big
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Return to “Foil Kites”