Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby foilholio » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:00 pm

kitexpert wrote: It is not reasonable approach to make a foil kite which has wide cells and worse L/D because single skins have quite low L/D
It is reasonable if you wanted to make a kite that was lighter but had better L/D than a single skin. You can't expect to make a different product by continuing the same approach. By challenging our assumptions and with the correct principles we can work to achieve new things.
kitexpert wrote: Single skins have their own advantages, foil kites should have their own.
Yes and then they combine to use both. But having a flapping part of the kite I think will always have a disadvantage to L/D. There is a compromise to the desired goal.
kitexpert wrote: Cell shape or ballooning question is very difficult to master with limited resources. For sure I'd know it much more if I made several prototypes with different parameters and had them fabricated for me. I guess designers like Bölli or Harich don't spend say 500 hours behind the sewing machine if they want to make some experiments...
I believe they have developed software to more accurately help them design kites. The fluid flow analysis is quite good now, enough to help design rocket engines. Kites are still difficult, and things are not perfect hence you still have a lot of prototyping and hand tuning.

I am sure a company like Pansh would be willing to sew and make up your designs for you at their cheap prices. If you really do know your stuff you could likely on sell them for profit or no loss.
kitexpert wrote: I've paid my learning costs fully, by the hard way. What comes to cell shapes, kite shapes or ballooning I use parameters which are probably quite conservative, which I know will not cause any problems.
No doubt but I think this arduous experience ingrains you to a certain point of view. Thing is there exists others to which other designs can be better.

To quote Elon Musk “If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough.”

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 am

What's with people launching their foil kites straight downwind lately ? Is this some type of new crazy fad . This is the 3rd new sonic video ive seen of the kite being launched the wrong way. Does this kite scramble the users brain. :lol:

haiku wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 am
Hi, here's my first short session with the new Flysurfer Sonic 2020 15 m. Lift and hang time are simply Awesome and in terms of stability It represents a big step forward over the previous model :thumb: . In the video below you can also see a water relaunch after a bad crash. I'm looking forward to riding again with It.

Cheers

Carlo

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:48 am

Slightly unusual launch with lots of sand in the middle. I guess he was in a hurry to get it up. I don't see what is particularly wrong with the launch though? It's not the quickest method to sand like that, but down wind is the best.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:23 am

Yea he had plenty of room and the wind was light so so what. He could have kept the kite backstalled a little bit more to prevent being dragged as much downwind but again he has plenty of room. I normally won’t do it that way just because it requires putting more sand on the trailing edge compared to just a folded over wing tip and I’m lazy.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 am
What's with people launching their foil kites straight downwind lately ? Is this some type of new crazy fad . This is the 3rd new sonic video ive seen of the kite being launched the wrong way. Does this kite scramble the users brain. :lol:

haiku wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 am
Hi, here's my first short session with the new Flysurfer Sonic 2020 15 m. Lift and hang time are simply Awesome and in terms of stability It represents a big step forward over the previous model :thumb: . In the video below you can also see a water relaunch after a bad crash. I'm looking forward to riding again with It.

Cheers

Carlo
Kite being launching the wrong way? No man, when a foil kite isn't inflated at all and in light wind conditions this is the best way to launch It. Obviously in moderate to strong wind I launch my foil kites at edge of the flight window.

Cheers
Carlo
Last edited by haiku on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author haiku for the post:
foilholio (Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 am

In my home spot we have to launch from a promenade, so we always launch the same way Carlo did in the video, with the difference that there must be someone who is keeping your kite until it begins to go up. Very tricky but no other solutions...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:16 pm

pmaggie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 am
In my home spot we have to launch from a promenade, so we always launch the same way Carlo did in the video, with the difference that there must be someone who is keeping your kite until it begins to go up. Very tricky but no other solutions...
get a wing :wink:

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Benni Boelli say "I had so much fun designing the new SONIC, I am simply stoked every time I fly the kite."

How I would like Mr. Benni to share some of his design concepts here, his difficulties, problems and solutions. To understand first and also to ask if you can. It must be a great kite. I hope to try it sometime.
These users thanked the author PabloQ for the post:
foilholio (Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes we have heard enough crap from duotone. Time for some people with a clue.

Regularkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: North

Postby Regularkiter » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:00 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 am
launching foil kites, any sort of kite depends on location. A lot of people live in their "kiting" bubble. What may seem right or wrong to you would be different for somebody else, so don't be that quick to judge.

Return to “Foil Kites”