For all foil kite riders
collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby collider » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Windrange explanation, from the man himself: (Thanks Armin!)

These users thanked the author collider for the post:
tkaraszewski (Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:41 am

Here some more infos of the Sonic 3 compared to our other kites:
https://flysurfer.com/2020/02/the-sonic-in-depth-guide/

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:14 pm

is no one going to talk about the presentation of the kite.

Mine arrived yesterday

Contents, repair kit, kite strap (for packing) it's a nice padded strap with a buckle and clip and a new ballast bag which is a durable dry bag which you can store stuff in to keep dry or fill with wet sand and be sure that it won't leak in the car on the way home.

Also, 2 bags! the main outer bag which is a really nice rucksack and an inner bag which you see in the vid above that Armin has next to his lounger.

Overall this is the nicest presentation of a Flysurfer kite I've ever seen. Really great job! it does feel like a premium product.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Great video Armin!

Line lengths are always a conundrum!

Toby needs a Sonic!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Ok, now I can see the construction of kite. 55 cells, AR 6.6 to 7.2, 7 air intakes with four cells in between, bridle spaced 2-3, full cell D-ribs, miniribs, lot of straps...

To have that kind of bridle spacing means there is "excessive" D-ribs, but more the better I guess :) Inner parts seem to be optimized for lightest possible weight though.

In general basic parameters: AR, cell count, bridle spacing/bridle levels, air intakes/spacing/relation to inner parts looks well designed but who would except anything else from the leading foil kite brand. Line row locations by the chord and mixer (pulley ratios) are usual - and why shouldn't they because it is logical and works very well. So third part (or second, IDK the order) of late "Triple Depower" is not strong (if it is there at all) and I doubt if there is second (third) of the three either. Looks like "just" a depowerable kite.

Different kite sizes have different AR's but same cell count. Apparently here thought has been 55 cells is enough for biggest sizes/AR's and more than enough for smaller sizes. For sure it is, but it leaves a tiny cutting corners design feel. Question is: do the smallest sizes really need that high cell count or would slightly lower cell count with simpler/lighter weight construction be even better?

Kite shape has clear relationship to Soul, it looks like Sonic3 is like a high AR version of Soul. But of course there is not so much room for different shapes if kite has that high AR. Canopy curve looks nice. Airfoil is apparently quite thick for good lift and better usability for intended use, thicker wing is also structurally better.

This shows A line row construction and how D-Ribs apparently are designed. I'm not so excited either of them but of course it is one way to do it. I guess motivation here has been to have those 7 air intakes located like they are now. No doubt it is good work in that respect, they are many and well located.

malden
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: lake Svityaz, north west of Ukraine
Style: old school
Gear: Flysurfer: speed 2sa, speed 3, speed 4, speed 5, soul, sonic3, flydoor6;
Spleene: monster door 2007,2009,2010,2011,2018, session 2011

Postby malden » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Russian version of tech talk.
То же самое - по русски,мне например очень сложно слушать оригинал, слишком быстро для меня

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Kitexpert: "Different kite sizes have different AR's but same cell count. Apparently here thought has been 55 cells is enough for biggest sizes/AR's and more than enough for smaller sizes. For sure it is, but it leaves a tiny cutting corners design feel. Question is: do the smallest sizes really need that high cell count or would slightly lower cell count with simpler/lighter weight construction be even better?"

Per my view the 55 cells are definitely needed and it is good optimazitaion between weight and performance. If you consider that paragliders of AR 5.4-5.6 has generaly 59 cells, and paragliders with AR. 6.6-7-0 has 70-80 cells you can really see that 55 cell for 9.0 and 11M Sonic with AR 6.6 and 6.8 is really just the basic minimum. In paragliding design they try to maximize performance for the given aspect ratio. Just to get the understanding that how much perfomance gain can be gotten by raising the cell number just consider that Nova has a high perforamance intermediate paraglider with AR 5.19 and 99 cells called the Nova Phantom. Most successfull competition paraglider(Ozone Enzo 3) has 101 cells for AR 7.55. So this makes the 55 cells a very well balanced compromise.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:15 pm

Tone wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:14 pm
is no one going to talk about the presentation of the kite.

Mine arrived yesterday

Contents, repair kit, kite strap (for packing) it's a nice padded strap with a buckle and clip and a new ballast bag which is a durable dry bag which you can store stuff in to keep dry or fill with wet sand and be sure that it won't leak in the car on the way home.

Also, 2 bags! the main outer bag which is a really nice rucksack and an inner bag which you see in the vid above that Armin has next to his lounger.

Overall this is the nicest presentation of a Flysurfer kite I've ever seen. Really great job! it does feel like a premium product.
Ummm I did in this video a couple days ago.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Today I used my 18er Sonic3 in Workum the first time.
10-12 knots and 17/18er gusts. My weight 75kg. 133x42 Zero-G Board.
I jumped a lot to get used to the timing, did some highspeed tests and tried to collapse the tips (like in the videos above) by driving towards the Kite and in parallel depower the bar... but it didn’t work!!
No idea what they did in the videos above...
The only thing I could Imagine is that this was prototypes!
These users thanked the author Nem0 for the post:
tizzleberg (Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:09 pm)

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:05 pm

Yes, they all used the last generaton of prototypes named X9 and the feedback flow into the serial Sonic 3.
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post:
tizzleberg (Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:44 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”