Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: flysurfer sonic3, any news?

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 am

a99 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:40 pm
Still, looking to launches of S3 no big changes, unpredictible as always and with uncontroled moments when you can be downwind dragged easy
If you are having unpredictable and uncontrollable launches then you are doing something wrong.

a99
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 am
a99 wrote:
Still, looking to launches of S3 no big changes, unpredictible as always and with uncontroled moments when you can be downwind dragged easy
If you are having unpredictable and uncontrollable launches then you are doing something wrong.
I'm speaking not about me, i'm speaking about mostly launches on those new s3 video. From thesevideo i don't see significant improvements in launche of Sonics.
Last edited by a99 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 am

Anyway, as I supposed, 3 kites: Soul, Sonic 3 (more or less the old Speeds), Sonic Race VMG. It was the most "logic" range for FS. Can't wait to test my 13 but I think I have to wait one more month or so, too cold for the thermal wind at the moment here.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:24 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:34 am
Which is practically impossible on a foil kite.
No, it is not impossible but to be fair it is very difficult if kite has high AR. Problem is then kite has narrow wingtips which are also thin, so they are not very stable by their nature. And wingtips are wingtips, it is a transition area of wing. Anyway I think there is room for development.

For mid AR foil kite wingtip issues should not exist. Using correct airfoil, AoA and bridle wingtips can be made rock solid. Another question is how much this affects to kite flying performance, but like always there is choices to be made. Personally I don't like folding wingtips, just annoying nonsense to wait and make kite to recover.

If you want higher performance you must pay the price both literally and in worse handling.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:32 pm

I have just never seen a foilkite that won't collapse given the right conditions. They have improved, pyscho4 being one of the better ones, it just means you can push them more into worse conditions. I think active control is the only good solution. I can ride in stuff that you sit the kite 45 degrees back in the window and it still plays up. There is just no way you can sit any where near the window edge and not have issues. The window edge can be moving 10m here and there every second.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Corpus Christi

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:06 pm

a99 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
a99 wrote:
I'm speaking not about me, i'm speaking about mostly launches on those new s3 video. From thesevideo i don't see significant improvements in launche of Sonics.
The launch in the “kite life” video was done very poorly. I bet it was trimmed for full depower, a very bad way to launch. It’s a blizzard out today but with nothing better to do I may go out and try a couple launches and record them. I’ll leave my feedback on how it launches compared to last gen and the Soul.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Corpus Christi

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:13 pm

a99 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
a99 wrote:
Just got done filming a quick comparison of launching and landing the Sonic 3 11m vs the Soul 10m at around 20kts with gusts. Launching is VERY similar to the Soul and has improved from the Sonic 2. Landing is a different matter... Hopefully should have it edited and published by tomorrow.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Skywalker7 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 pm

So far had 3 sessions on the Sonic 3 13M. The kite launches super easy. This is the most stable Sonic ever untill now for sure. Other than that the kites does everything great just as the earlier Sonics, jumps great, flies fast, going upwind etc. What is also improved over the earlier versions, is the loop. The kite is more stable in the loop, and less chance for tip tucking. The relaunch seems also a lot easier as well. In 14 knots I was doing a one steering line relaunch which I would considered only possible on lower aspects kites like the Soul or Viron, and definitly not expected it on the Sonic. While the Sonics were always high perfomance foil kites the main advantage now with the Sonic 3 is the ease of use. It is really high performance to everybody. This is the go to kite for any experienced foil kite rider.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:24 pm

My 15m Sonic 3 arrives in a couple of hours. Typically, it's shitty weather today.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Corpus Christi

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Finished up my latest video comparing the launch characteristics between the Sonic 3 and Soul. I was impressed how well the Sonic3 did. I apologize for the wind noise.

Return to “Foil Kites”