Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby jakemoore » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Bellevue wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:30 pm
foilholio wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:47 am
Rings/sliders on foils have been tested extensively many years ago, they don't work well. It's quite strange how you can have a designer make such an interesting kite but choose a poor component somewhere.
Better to wait for the 2020 model then. Hopefully these bugs are fixed then.
Marabou is Gin's third commercial single skin kite behind Shaman 1 and 2. And they have been offering low friction rings for some time on their other snow kites e.g. Eskimo.

I would not anticipate Gin to change that design choice in the next go round. Interestingly enough I now have pulleys on one of my Marabou and low friction rings on one of my Hyperlinks. LEI are also mixed in that some brands use sliders and others use pulleys. Its an inexpensive and easy change for anybody who cares to do so.

With both pulleys and antal low friction rings the line will wear. Pulleys wear out faster than the rings and jam with sand. If pulleys stop turning they can wear the line faster. If the pulleys are high quality and well maintained the line definitely lasts longer.

I suspect user preference for a slider or pulley depends a lot on how course the sand is. The course sand found in Hawaii is going to favor the pulley. Fine sticky sand that gets in the pulley will push the balance to the slider.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 pm

is the Marabou, better or worser than a Hyperlink in overal feeling, or do they feel the same? I tested a hyperlink on the beach, brand new out of the bag, I found it pulling a lot onto the powerlines, harness
thx

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:57 am

They feel different. Like Clouds and Pivots feel different. I have both and like both a lot. But I don’t have the largest size in either.

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 am

Anyone around Europe selling a Gin Marabou 6mt or 9mt used but in really good conditions?

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Hardwater Kiter, could you please confirm if is it possible to fly this GIN MARABOU also with any standard 4 lines bar born for the LEI kites?

Or flying this Marabou with its original GIN bar only is mandatory?

thanks

Hardwater Kiter wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 am
Coming soon to Hardwaterkiter.com

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am

athen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 am
Hi Hardwater Kiter, could you please confirm if is it possible to fly this GIN MARABOU also with any standard 4 lines bar born for the LEI kites? Or flying this Marabou with its original GIN bar only is mandatory?
I have flown the Marabou with a standard LEI Kite bar (Eleveight), surely this is possible.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am
athen wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 am
Hi Hardwater Kiter, could you please confirm if is it possible to fly this GIN MARABOU also with any standard 4 lines bar born for the LEI kites? Or flying this Marabou with its original GIN bar only is mandatory?
I have flown the Marabou with a standard LEI Kite bar (Eleveight), surely this is possible.
AS Tom Stated, most 4 line Front Line Safety equipped bars will work. There may or may not be a need for tuning the bar. Long throw bars are best.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm

i've used a enata carbon bar, ozone foil bar and a core 'high Y' bar.....all worked great.

actually i like the core best simply bc its lightweight bar with QR that wont break a ninja's finger under load.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Any 4 line bar will work. Relatively long bars preferred since the Marabou is relatively slow turning for its size... (normal for its power). For self landing a (foilkite like) rope between the stearing lines is advisable.

#travellight.... Currently traveling with hand luggage only. Two weeks break to a family destination and light wind kite (Marabou 9m) + bar + harness is in the bag...
Board or foil to be rented locally...

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Friend tried with 4 line Y bar worked but not to satisfaction, then 4 line deep V bar...then the kite worked perfectly

Return to “Foil Kites”