Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

For all foil kite riders
kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am

I do all kind of kiting: speed, snow kiting (on ice/mountains) TT, long trips, boosting, hf (strapless, no boosting), usually it is just cruising around. I've reached some 30 feet from the flat on TT and for sure I could get higher in high winds or using ramps but locally there is not often such conditions. I'm also not that young any more and I've had some injuries so I leave Woo record chasing to younger people :)

Of course I understand what some hf users want from single skin kites, I know that kite type well. Personally I just don't see it that important or worth risks of failed relaunch. Gin Marabou is obviously a step forward in that respect.

It is a fact not everyone needs high performance (high L/D) for their kiting. For a designer perspective low performance kite (which quite easily comes with good stability and drift) is not that interesting because it makes quite a lot achieved development unnecessary. Kite like CA Wave could have been made 15 years ago: low aspect low cell count kite with a simple bridle. Ok, Wave has span wise straps and LE stiffeners but there is not much to design in them. Using lighter weight fabrics is trivial like it is to constantly measure kite weights and make conclusions from some minor differences.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:57 am

These users thanked the author tomtom for the post (total 3):
foilholio (Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:19 pm) • Horst Sergio (Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 pm) • early bird2 (Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:33 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am
I do all kind of kiting: speed, snow kiting (on ice/mountains) TT, long trips, boosting, hf (strapless, no boosting), ...
All interesting, do you have photos or videos riding your DIY kites?

About the GIN Marabou:
I don't expext it to be a "game changer" in terms of relaunch compared to Peak4, but for sure in some points better, but maybe also in some worse. But for sure: Respect to GIN to be the first with a serial hybrid, which I would expect to have future as concept, even if not necessarily for lowest light wind.

Hope to produce a video of riging both kites in the deep water and relaunching, when water is getting warmer the next weeks. :)
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
jatem (Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:43 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 pm
I am cautious of them as I like slack line and it seems so many are confused what that means and what true slack line is possible. True slackline is basically no kite is felt in pull and no kite input is really possible with the bar ... amazingly because... the lines are slack. :roll:
It doesn't confuse me. But I know exactly what you mean. Most people confuse a little bit of slack vs. "100% kite falling out of the sky" slack. Pretty sure most people are not looking for that characteristic quite like we are.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 am

The problem is to see the benefit of "100% kite falling out of the sky", you most likely need to be trying to surf, you need a kite that can do it and lastly need to try or use it. Some wave LEIs can do it to differing extents and yet their users don't even try. It probably stems from the fact most LEIs haven't been able to do it and many wave kites can't, quite a contradiction for a "wave" kite not to be able to do it. Would show for example with the position of designers like kitexpert and others have no clue about it. Then you have many pros and team riders that also seem to not use it. I struggle to even find an example of it on video, best I can find is what I would not even describe as slack. I remember an Ian Alldredge video with a bit of slack but he seems to have pulled ,or more likely for the use of copyrighted music had his videos pulled, Thank you EU and world government! Dicks!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 am

kitexpert wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:21 pm
I happened to witness one 6m Peak try on the water, it didn't end up well. Kiter lost control in a gust or something and was thrown to the beach, over quite large stones.
How much wind was this in? The 6m peak is suited to foil in about 11-14 knots of wind and I have a hard time imagining getting turfed by the peak in those winds.

I personally consider it the safest traction kite available. It's super easy to fly. It has legit instant depower. It generates almost zero lifting force.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:05 am

Foilholio, could you share some examples of specific kites that slack line well? I'm interested to try them out. Compared to the LEIs I've ridden, the peak4 is miles ahead when I'm riding a hf fast in swell without any worry of the kite falling out of the sky, and without any noticeable pull.

Front stalling when lines are slacked is a very undesirable trait of many kites. I have seen multiple LEIs ripped in half this season, and many that had to swim in after front stalling in waves at my local beach. Relaunch isn't a helpful feature after the fact. Prevention seems better than cure.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:23 am

Haha safest traction kite available . Try to take a single skin out at the very top of its winrange and U might change your mind . Especially the small ones when depowered they make for a pretty scary ride as they collapse and then open up . Thyre excellent kites within their windrange but beyond thta very unstable
Slappysan wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 am
kitexpert wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:21 pm
I happened to witness one 6m Peak try on the water, it didn't end up well. Kiter lost control in a gust or something and was thrown to the beach, over quite large stones.
How much wind was this in? The 6m peak is suited to foil in about 11-14 knots of wind and I have a hard time imagining getting turfed by the peak in those winds.

I personally consider it the safest traction kite available. It's super easy to fly. It has legit instant depower. It generates almost zero lifting force.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 am

windrider1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:23 am
Haha safest traction kite available . Try to take a single skin out at the very top of its winrange and U might change your mind . Especially the small ones when depowered they make for a pretty scary ride as they collapse and then open up . Thyre excellent kites within their windrange but beyond thta very unstable
The top windrange of a 3m peak4 is around 30 knots, probably not everyday conditions. If you've sized them appropriately for hydrofoil they are safer to launch and land than an inflatable or closed cell foil.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:05 am

I have 4m in winter in around 35 knts and 5m around 25 knts. Riding in mountains are among most difficult conditions imaginable - weak winds in valleys and storm on ridges - rotors shifts and updrafts are very common. Most guys here who ride it consider Peak safest available kite for this - especially with regard to lofting - which is very common dangers because of updrafts near cliffs. These are conditions peak was designed for. Sized for HF you don't even approach its safety margin. Anyway - Peak is very special kite with very special skill set which can attract very special group of riders. You either are one of them or not. Im mean this without elitism :D
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
foilholio (Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”