Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby elguapo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:10 am

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am
6 Meter works for me on the Alaia strapless rocking upwind in 20-25 knots flat water. I can’t imagine this is the best use for this kite but is possible to ride without a foil. I don’t know if it would get me over waves. Downwind is more fun than upwind for sure, and riding straight downwind is easy to do.
How does the 6m compare to your fs peak?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 am

I have had significant time riding the Peak4 3 and 11, but it has been many months since I rode the 5 and that was a short fly with a friends kite so its difficult for me to make a direct comparison. I think there are more similarities than differences.

Like the Peak 4, Marabou is very much a single skin in the way it gently builds power, has low lift for transition and low power spike for water start when making a loop. It has similar excellent drift and downwind riding characteristics, and is similar in that it is a joy for over-sheeted stunt kiting riding downwind.

I believe it is better upwind. With the Peak4 I was never able to make headway on the surfboard or alaia, but with Marabou I have had success. Maybe it was the luck of the day? However I still prefer a lightish tube kites in good wind on the surfboard. I can't comment for hydrofoil yet but based on my experience so far I'm looking forward to it.

There is a slightly increased tendency to turn away from the zenith when the bar is dropped completely. While neither kite has auto zenith, Marabou moves to the ground slightly faster than Peak4 but still much more slowly compared to Hyperlink or especially a tube.

There is also a slightly increased tendency toward frontstall with my long throw bar (about 80 cm). It recovers every time with minimal power surge as it moves forward and back in the window. With the bar at the end of my depower, the kite will frontstall and recover in a slow oscillation with say a 5 second period. It appears to be benign, but would be unsettling to an observer or flier not prepared for that behavior. I don't believe this would happen at all with a bar that has a more normal about of throw and for me is controlled completely by simply not fully extending my arm.

I would be much more willing to give a complete beginner a Peak4 to fly on land because I would be less concerned about them hurting themselves or the kite.

Marabou is 1000x better for water relaunch and therefore I believe a better choice for hydrofoil. The fact of the matter is we get far out fast. Although I have only put the kite in the water deliberately, my light wind relaunch tests have been fantastic. It can get washed over and disorganized by smallish in waves so I would not expect 100% relaunch in waves. Because it is a lightweight kite I would be inclined to release it quickly in surf as I have destroyed more robust kites by hanging on to them. However, because it holds air, I would expect it to make it to the shore where it could be recovered, compared to a Peak which might dissapear and turn into a hazard for wildlife.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 3):
lederhosen (Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 am) • slowboat (Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am) • foilholio (Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:39 am)
Rating: 9.09%

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am

Kitebuddy made a Video of a Marabou in 6m. It would be interesting to know how Marabou sizes compare to LEI sizes.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 am

lederhosen wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am
Kitebuddy made a Video of a Marabou in 6m. It would be interesting to know how Marabou sizes compare to LEI sizes.

I will save everyone 7 minutes. They ride the Marabou successfully with a twin tip and water relaunch it once. Unclear to me what the wind conditions were.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:10 pm

i have a 12m..

i really wanted to see how tight their smaller kites turns and where they sat on WW and if drifts at all

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

there is definitively significant wind when looking at how fast it goes up to the zenith after the relaunch, while not a race kite at all ...

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 am

Low wind test of marabou 6m by kitebuddy:

It looks like the kite drifts well.

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:33 pm

"Marabou is 1000x better for water relaunch and therefore I believe a better choice for hydrofoil."

That alone to me does not make it a better choice but a consideration.

For me a better choice for hydrofoil would be a kite that:
1. Drifts better
2. Handles better (The Peak has no agenda of its own, it happily does what I ask of it)
3. Wider Wind Range
4. Low minimum wind threshold
etc...

With my Peak 8 unless I make a mistake or wind drops to nothing, she will not see water. I happily just let go of my handle on a crash and grab it afterwards.

I will always want the kite that gives me the best performance for swell riding and have no problem if one day she gets wet.

Your results may vary....:)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:18 am

my 12m is for sale if anyone will be in cabarete this month..
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2403568&p=1061156#p1061156

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 am

I had a superb hydrofoil session with the 6m today in 18-20 knot winds with gusts to 24. Wind was side on with 3-4 foot wind swell. Downwind riding was intuitive with easy drift on the wave with slack lines, kite sitting deep in the window waiting for input. Long wave rides were easily connected to second and third waves riding out toeside downwind approximately 3/4 mile, with easy return to the upwind start in one tack. In the gusts I had to avoid a beam reach to keep speed and power in control, but 20 knots was quite comfortable for me.

Previous sessions in lighter winds 13-14 knots have also worked well but there was quite a lot of kite movement required to haul me out of the water. I would say my comfortable wind range is 14-20 knots on my preferred 790 cm2 wing with some room to push it above and below.

Return to “Foil Kites”