For all foil kite riders
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby jakemoore » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Nice wave session with 6 yesterday in 1m waves and 1100 cm wing. Wind was straight on about 15 knots. I put it in the water twice riding straight downwind into the lines. There was very little wind at the water surface. On the first I swam to recover the board. Kite inverted and I had to self rescue and swim in. It was a 10 min swim and easy relaunch on the beach. The second I handled the kite before the board and it was an easy relaunch.

4 line Low V bar.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
athen (Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm
jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 pm
I believe it would be unfair to review the kite if it’s not in proper trim.
I agree with you, I did not know this problem when I wrote my initial review. But now I am a bit confused : I have a film of the waterstart trials, I do not like refrain from publishing tests ( I never do), but I know this kite may have not been setup correctly ; Ideally I should try a suitable Marabou now for better test and review , that would solve-out my "problem" ;

Gin, I you can here me ... since I cannot access anymore the Marabou I tested ...
Ok, So now without any possibility / news to retest one, I publish my trial of the 12m in 6-7 knots ; I repeat that according to Gin, that kite series was said to have a bridal system not properly assembled (but a friend of mine did the modification as per Gin recommendation without finding it a better low end, so I am more comfortable to publish the video)

These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 4):
Horst Sergio (Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:19 pm) • foilholio (Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 pm) • jakemoore (Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:15 pm) • Bellevue (Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 am)
Rating: 12.12%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Looks like it turns as fast as my A15 18m, which in that wind would be lit... and like it can't lower it's AoA enough to fly forward when deep, so maybe bridles,bar or lines?. Also doesn't seem to develop good power flying like other single skins. Drift though looks magnifique! Smaller sizes and surfing are looking good! I wonder how well upwind on the 12m with surfboard could go in say 10-18knots?
Last edited by foilholio on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks Regis,
as I would expect you to be the first riding with an 12 m² and seeing your difficulties while another guy is riding, it seems, that this is not its best disciplin.

But would still hope it has enough advantages in higher winds as I love from the Peaks. If it just comes close to them and has a significant better relaunch ability in difficult wave conditions I would think about a 4 m² or at least to put some work in getting one into my hands, which actually seems to be the biggest challenge. Till now in Germany they seem just to be delivered to, lets say shops being less focused on foil kites, for unknown reasons.

Happy to hear more details You can find out. Thanks

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 pm

I think given your presence Horst on the forum with videos etc Gin should have already mailed you a free one. The same should be said for Regis. Personally I think guys that regularly post stuff are far more valuable to have gear on than pros. But then if the gear is not as good as it seems maybe it could do more damage.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 pm
Thanks Regis,
as I would expect you to be the first riding with an 12 m² and seeing your difficulties while another guy is riding, it seems, that this is not its best disciplin.
Indeed I was really disappointed, the wind was enough for any double skin kite to ride with my weight, even strut less IMO ; the wind dropped down at least 1 knots afterward, and even with this significant drop, I was able to ride with my light double skin; I do not wanted to communicate too firmly on this big disappointment as the pulley lines were said to be not mounted correctly on this production batch (so Foilholio you should be true), why I wanted to test another one ... but as it was, indeed, it is not a light wind kite, in summary ... and one friend of mine seeking for marginal/gusty wind weapon on lake sold it very rapidly (even after the production problem correction) and kept its pulsions and Soul instead ...

Maybe the 12m could be suitable for classic surfing with heavy rider and on-shore wind , ... maybe ...

Of course for other sizes, it is a complete different topic with more wind, and it could behave very good; One friend of mine liked it in lower sizes on a hydrofoil.

Personally , not finding what I want as a light single skin kite (for marginal-marginal wind as a challenge), I am working on my own kite , derived from a paraglider , and still to be tuned (several month work expected ...)

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:38 am

Agree Regis, I think the jury is still out on SS for super light wind. I just don’t think they have enough “structure” to work well in very light winds. Looking forward to your kite.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Bellevue (Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:12 am)

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 am

Two sessions with the 12m have me with the same experience. Gins low wind rating must not include the water start.i have no doubt the kite will stay up in 5.

But once there is enough wind to get up on foil, my 70kg finds I'm too powered up enjoy the dance with the wind. I expect the 9m will do nicely in 7-9

I'm finding the 4m is great in 12-20, with lulls to 8 being ridable ( starting needs long lines and good technic.) Above 20 isn't as pleasent. I feel the 4m has the power of a 6m foil.

Finally found a good way to roll these kites up, keeping the leading edge stiffeners flat. Let me know if there is any interest and I can post a video.
These users thanked the author geokite for the post:
plasma180 (Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 am)

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Postby plasma180 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 am

Please post a video! Thank you
geokite wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 am
Two sessions with the 12m have me with the same experience. Gins low wind rating must not include the water start.i have no doubt the kite will stay up in 5.

But once there is enough wind to get up on foil, my 70kg finds I'm too powered up enjoy the dance with the wind. I expect the 9m will do nicely in 7-9

I'm finding the 4m is great in 12-20, with lulls to 8 being ridable ( starting needs long lines and good technic.) Above 20 isn't as pleasent. I feel the 4m has the power of a 6m foil.

Finally found a good way to roll these kites up, keeping the leading edge stiffeners flat. Let me know if there is any interest and I can post a video.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Similar experience to Peak 4 11. They stay in the air very well but not enough boost to start. As Horst Sergio said from the start in his initial Peak 4 hydrofoils review: not a light wind solution. Also very narrow range once it starts to work. Based on my Peak 4 11 experience I decided not to go beyond 9 with Marabou.

There is a caveat that these kites are very easy to choke. At the bottom of their range the bar should sheet in just to the point the canopy flutter stops. Sheeting I’m farther does not immediately backstall but slows down enough to lose what little power spike there is. I think my 9 has a low end I have not yet accessed due to that reason.

The difference from 9-12 or 8-11 is much bigger than the difference between 6-9 or 5-8 The biggest peak gave me some sweet sessions in conditions that worked for it, but not the light wind dream everybody hopes for.

Generally I would recommend 4,5,6 as the sweet spot sizes to get the benefit of single skin in their ideal range.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”