Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gin Marabou Water Relaunchable Single Skin

Postby elguapo » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 pm

the low range listed is also accurate (at least on a larger (60+cm) kitebar)
i think the correct comparison is to a kitech FRS or pulsion or maybe even PLK's nova.
How does the marabou turn compared to the peak4?
my peak4 is a 5m....and the marabou is a 12m...so its kinda an apples to orangutans type comparison

i bought this is a lightwind option..and imo as a lightwind/freeride kite this kite excels.
i freely admit that i am not a big kite on a foil type of guy....so there was probably some bias in my initial rides.

but i had some pretty good sessions with the marabou recently..
i was in caymans and i doubt there was anyone else there attemping/foolish enough to be on the water a couple of those days
(gusting...to lightwind)

i'll say i am super impressed with performance in the 5-10 range(flag on a house looked like below)... it's just super stable and easy to ride on moses 633 and fluente/550 wings.
i took i nice superman spill after finding a sandbar at speed... but the kite stayed in the air somehow. (i still have not had the chance to relaunch yet)

the biggest negative it goes upwind about as well as a cloud (ie not well).
big spills in lightwind= good luck getting back to your board.

this is a good kite(for a 12m) if you want a freeride/lighwind kite for foiling...and i'd have no qualms buying again or recommending.

below.. size compariaon flysurfer soul 6m and 12m.

These users thanked the author elguapo for the post (total 3):
lederhosen (Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 pm) • Regis-de-giens (Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 pm) • khaakon (Wed May 22, 2019 8:56 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Foil_Adict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne Beach Florida
Style: Foil and wave
Gear: Peak 4 3,5, and 13
Armstrong 4'5 SKT
Armstrong 1250, 1550v2, and 925

Slingshot SST for surf downwinder

Postby Foil_Adict » Wed May 22, 2019 2:22 am

Having a hard time deciding between a Peak 4 5m and a Marabou 6m. Will be using it to foil surf in the the waves and the drift/slack line ability is what atracts me to both kites. A few comments seem to indicate that the peak 4 is a better wave kite, but it also sounds like that was comparing a smaller peak 4 to a larger 12m Marabou.

Marabou is 2x the cost but the security of knowing it will relaunching would certainly be nice when doing longer runs.

All things being equal I lean towards the Marabou but I would rather not give up performance.

I will be switching from my current wave SSTs and expect either kite will be a large step up in slack line flying ability.

Added bonus, my kids are starting to become interested in learning to kite, I like the added safety that single skin kites seem to offer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ready to make the jump back to foils.(learned on a old fone 2 line foil long long ago....)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Foil_Adict wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:22 am
Added bonus, my kids are starting to become interested in learning to kite, I like the added safety that single skin kites seem to offer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ready to make the jump back to foils.(learned on a old fone 2 line foil long long ago....)
I can suggest a Viron for the kids, land and water use, very safe, minimal lift.
My son learned with tubes (5&7M) and a Viron 6m, I was much more relaxed when he was on the water with the Viron..
He was soon more in love with the Tubes but now he loves to ride with the Souls.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Foil_Adict (Wed May 22, 2019 3:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil_Adict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne Beach Florida
Style: Foil and wave
Gear: Peak 4 3,5, and 13
Armstrong 4'5 SKT
Armstrong 1250, 1550v2, and 925

Slingshot SST for surf downwinder

Postby Foil_Adict » Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm

I looked into the Viron and it did not appear to be as good of a kite for me to use as well for Foil Surfing. Anything will work with a foilboard, but it seems the single skins should slack line fly the best. I really want the ability to make the kite almost disappear while on a swell.

Would really love to see a comparison video of someone in light wind trying to run under a typical 3 strut LEI, one strut LEI, cloud, foil kite, and single skin. Would simulate that slack line stability that you need for pure foil surfing when need it.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed May 22, 2019 7:47 pm

I’m looking seriously at the Peak 4. Bit disappointed at marabou weight and price.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Tested the 12m today. I was afraid to be a bit disappointed by the low end (a bit more heavy than CA Pulsion) and ... i was true unfortunatelly.
Wind was around 6-7 knots (with my references) and i was not able to waterstart, and was affraid to put the kite in the water in 5 knots lulls.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri May 31, 2019 3:30 am

Foil_Adict wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm
I looked into the Viron and it did not appear to be as good of a kite for me to use as well for Foil Surfing. Anything will work with a foilboard, but it seems the single skins should slack line fly the best. I really want the ability to make the kite almost disappear while on a swell.
I used to own a Viron Deluxe 6m and now own a Peak 4 5m and LF Solo 4.5m & 6.5m.

While the Viron is indeed very safe, it's just not a very good kite to teach on in LW (I'd say you need at least 13 knots for it to fly well) while the Peak 4 is a dream to fly in 4-14 knots. Also the Viron was pretty useless outside of a teaching, opposed to the Peak 4 where it's pretty magic on a foil.

I would actually favour my Solos for teaching kids over the Viron, I can take my son out in 9 knots on the LF Solos and have fun, the Viron in 9 knots requires expertise to fly well. I have high hopes for my son and the Peak 4 this summer though.

Keep in mind this is all based on the Viron 1/2 (for deluxe version 1/2 were the same with different bars). By the looks of things version 3 of the Viron that just came it is a much different kite.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Foil_Adict (Fri May 31, 2019 11:18 am)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 31, 2019 4:13 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 pm
Tested the 12m today. I was afraid to be a bit disappointed by the low end (a bit more heavy than CA Pulsion) and ... i was true unfortunatelly.
Wind was around 6-7 knots (with my references) and i was not able to waterstart, and was affraid to put the kite in the water in 5 knots lulls.
Regis, how much do your 12 and 15 weigh? Are you using 25 gm cloth throughout?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri May 31, 2019 12:11 pm

You mean the pulsion ?
My scale said 1616 gr for the 12m and 1900 gr for the 15m (both in full 27gr/m2 cloth);
A friend of mine having pulsions has a professionnal recently calibrated balance and found about 100 gr less on its balance.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
jakemoore (Fri May 31, 2019 1:48 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Gin is reporting 1720 for Marabou12 so just a little heavier. My experience with single skin Peak4 is that there is lower power spike e.g. when using a loop to start. They don’t go quite as low as the more efficient double skin in spite of flying in very low winds. The real benefits are in riding downwind and more instant depower, more simple packing and less salt and sand accumulation. Perhaps I will fly a Marabou soon.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri May 31, 2019 10:36 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”