Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Flag-out Question

Postby PurdyKiter » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Coming from a 12 year history with Clouds and Naishes (first time foil kiter) where I could fire the QR flag-out and most times be able to re-attach and go... how well is a foil kite at this? Soul?
Sorry for the beginner question, but with all these bridles will the kite return to fly-able post-flagout?

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Re: Flag-out Question

Postby HALF » Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm

The soul specifically should not have any issues, maybe not 100% of the time but lets say 98%
In the worst case you may have inverted lines but that is if you are very unlucky.

It is a good idea to learn to relaunch the kite from the water (when to pull side lines, when to pull middle lines etc.) this will help you for sure in getting some air inside the kite, once an edge catches the wind, the kite more often than not will auto relaunch, or stay in the water with the leading edge down (where you can do a reverse launch super easily).

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm

HALF wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:45 pm
The soul specifically should not have any issues, maybe not 100% of the time but lets say 98%
In the worst case you may have inverted lines but that is if you are very unlucky.

It is a good idea to learn to relaunch the kite from the water (when to pull side lines, when to pull middle lines etc.) this will help you for sure in getting some air inside the kite, once an edge catches the wind, the kite more often than not will auto relaunch, or stay in the water with the leading edge down (where you can do a reverse launch super easily).
So far (2nd session) I'm finding the steering line re-launch almost quicker to respond than a Cloud. I still need to work on my reverse launch. What's weird about this 12m Soul is that when it crashes and you look at it, it looks like oh-shit hell taco. Then you pull a line and it's flying. Not used to foil kites.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 am

It depends. Sometimes it might relaunch with bridle lines over the leading edge, sometimes the center lines get overtwisted and clumped. But at most of times it relaunches fine after QR reassemly. Sometimes I use QR to get rid of the big bow ties and it works.
Last edited by Kristan on Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am

I've never had to safety release using the Soul but on the weekend I was testing a new bar I modified in the park so I pulled the safety 3x to test it.

Results:

When pulled at the edge of the window or low to the ground it would flag out and flip onto the ground. Easy to walk up the flagging line, reset and launch again without twists or inversion.

When I pulled the safety at 12pm the kite had a lot further to fall and managed to invert on the way down and had a bridal tangle over a wing tip. Fail.

A small test but I think there's a bit to it.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm
HALF wrote:

So far (2nd session) I'm finding the steering line re-launch almost quicker to respond than a Cloud. I still need to work on my reverse launch. What's weird about this 12m Soul is that when it crashes and you look at it, it looks like oh-shit hell taco. Then you pull a line and it's flying. Not used to foil kites.

when it balls up like that after a crash....try doing nothing.
seems like the kites can often get itself ready to fly again with minimal/zero user input.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Tue May 14, 2019 4:01 pm

elguapo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm
HALF wrote:

when it balls up like that after a crash....try doing nothing.
seems like the kites can often get itself ready to fly again with minimal/zero user input.
Yes, I stumbled upon a video yesterday in German. He had his 15m Soul in the water forever and for the entire video it looks hopeless. Then it goes instantly from folded mattress pad to flying without any clue of what the rider did right. Makes me think that I gave up too soon on my last swim. I should have just kept pulling a variety of steering and front lines.

Return to “Foil Kites”