RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Self launch and self land option

Postby MartinO » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:58 pm

Another alternative I was thinking about (but not necessary when looking at the good result of your video , is having a very strong fix point (so already on the beach like a mast or strong anchored in the ground or a car with rear pulling system installed), then attach a one meter sling with a carabiner at its extremity and catch all the 4 lines iinside the carabiner walk at 90 degree from the wind (on the left side for example) up to half of your line length, then pilot the kite to go down on your side, so pulling left hand, and directly catch the kite with your hands once the kite at your level.

And we should be able to land in a small beach of half the length of the lines ...
I´ve tried this, but it for sure was harder than expected to get the lines into the carabiner atleast at my first try, but the kite was controllable in flight and I managed to get to the kite and bring it down. The wind was a bit gusty at that time, but I am going to try again in more steady wind in the future. My home spot have a landing area of about 10 x 5 m and then there are stones, rocks and trees around it. I have managed to launch a 10m foil kite safely with 12-14 meter lines, but longer is impossible to even wind out. Getting it down dry have not been possible at any time, but I do think that this method MIGHT do the trick there atleast in lighter hydrofoiling winds.
These users thanked the author MartinO for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:26 am

MartinO wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 pm
I´ve tried this, but it for sure was harder than expected to get the lines into the carabiner atleast at my first try, but the kite was controllable in flight and I managed to get to the kite and bring it down.
Great ! ok , reading your post, maybe it is worth fabrication a "special MartinO" carabiner system, like a half pipe of stainless steel or aluminium (say 10-20 cm diameter) attached to 1m line extension at each extremity and a standard carabiners at each other extremity of the rope ...

manual :
- the 2 meter system ease to catch all the lines without disturbing kite piloting and be closed aroundd the fixed point on the ground
- when under tension, the 4 kite lines will reach the halfpipe and slide against it during the operation

just theoretical but may worth a try ...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:59 pm

I remember trying this - but without the stake. It didn't go anywhere near as well as your try. Once the kite got low and touched the ground it lost shape and started looping. I'd made the mistake of moving upwind as the kite got low (like in the video) and I think that left too much pull on the other lines?

I did have a helper when I tested it out so it wasn't a problem. He just sat on it but I did need to spend time untangling.

There are some pitfalls to avoid when doing this. The stake seems like a really positive way of getting past them.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:30 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
CARMELHILL wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pm
Here's two videos from different angles of me landing my Pansh A15 15 meter in 12 to 15 mph winds.
Another alternative I was thinking about (but not necessary when looking at the good result of your video , is having a very strong fix point (so already on the beach like a mast or strong anchored in the ground or a car with rear pulling system installed), then attach a one meter sling with a carabiner at its extremity and catch all the 4 lines iinside the carabiner walk at 90 degree from the wind (on the left side for example) up to half of your line length, then pilot the kite to go down on your side, so pulling left hand, and directly catch the kite with your hands once the kite at your level.

And we should be able to land in a small beach of half the length of the lines ...
I am definitely going to give this a try with my gopro on, what a great idea! I suspect this might work better by flying the kite low on one side (if you have room) and then walk to the carabiner (I might try with a loop of dyneema instead which will be easier to connect) and connect the loop around the lines and depower system, then walk halfway back with the kite still low, then walk around upwind and over to where the kite is and grab it when you get there. I can't believe nobody thought of this sooner.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:23 pm

derek440 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:30 am
Regis-de-giens wrote:
CARMELHILL wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pm
Here's two videos from different angles of me landing my Pansh A15 15 meter in 12 to 15 mph winds.

I am definitely going to give this a try with my gopro on, what a great idea! I suspect this might work better by flying the kite low on one side (if you have room) and then walk to the carabiner (I might try with a loop of dyneema instead which will be easier to connect) and connect the loop around the lines and depower system, then walk halfway back with the kite still low, then walk around upwind and over to where the kite is and grab it when you get there. I can't believe nobody thought of this sooner.
If you are going to do what you describe above - make sure you put all 4 lines through the carabiner or you'll end up with a looping kite as only one line will be tensioned.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:02 am

yeah i meant all 4 lines. i think this could be a really good way to have a safe landing system with you just in case you end up solo landing with a powered up foil kite, which is a big concern for anyone who uses ram-air kites at some point. I also have the idea of crashing the kite into the water if things are out of control and have done this once, i think this method is for solo landing overpowered but not in that danger zone- more in the zone of you are fully powered and can almost reverse the kite down but know its going to drag like crazy. This loop/clip might even be something we can put inside a bar and keep it there for that just-in-case situation and when the time comes and you have come back to the beach due to wind blowing up and are lit and want to land and nobody there you can just pull the loop/clip out of your bar and attach to any fixed object (or your burried board if necessary) then fly your kite low and put the loop over your lines, walk back halfway and keep kite low then walk around upwind to the kite and grab it. If nothing else, if it goes wrong you are getting closer to your kite and can eject and run to it and you are closer than you were at the start.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”