For all foil kite riders
Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Self launch and self land option

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:26 am

I think the old way relied on a much simpler bridle ......but it was so easy - unhook - release bar and 2 seconds later kite is sitting happily on its training edge - it made relaunch so simple - crash kite - unhook - kite would automatically reverse and sit on the TE - I used to feel so smug compared to my mates with C kites who would spend ages trying to get their kites to relaunch.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 pm

CARMELHILL wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm
I went out on my new Ozone Hyperlink 12m today in 12 to 19 mph winds. Launching fine. The wingtips collapsed but I flew it in a few figure eights until it inflated and the bridles straightened themselves out. These foils are amazing. I'm selling all my LEI. Crazy hang time, lofty jumps. But I need to find a better landing idea. I tried the backstall but it was too windy and I got hot launched down the beach. I tried 3 oclock and it tacoed then rolled and inverted, then relaunched inverted. Then slammed into the ground. I finally did a chickloop flag out. There has to be a better idea because my beaches get crowded in summer and this won't work. I'm going to try that pvc grappling hook.
When there are people around just find someone and spend a good proper minute explaining how to help you by grabbing and holding on to the tip. Unless the wind is weak enough for the backstall-trick.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:11 am

jbrodin wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 pm
CARMELHILL wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm
I went out on my new Ozone Hyperlink 12m today in 12 to 19 mph winds. Launching fine. The wingtips collapsed but I flew it in a few figure eights until it inflated and the bridles straightened themselves out. These foils are amazing. I'm selling all my LEI. Crazy hang time, lofty jumps. But I need to find a better landing idea. I tried the backstall but it was too windy and I got hot launched down the beach. I tried 3 oclock and it tacoed then rolled and inverted, then relaunched inverted. Then slammed into the ground. I finally did a chickloop flag out. There has to be a better idea because my beaches get crowded in summer and this won't work. I'm going to try that pvc grappling hook.
When there are people around just find someone and spend a good proper minute explaining how to help you by grabbing and holding on to the tip. Unless the wind is weak enough for the backstall-trick.
Even better if that person isn't a kitesurfer. My experience is that kitesurfers will still try and flip the foil over from the centre even after you have explained but at least its a safe landing even if you have some line detangling to do

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:50 am

jbrodin wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 pm

I see your thinking. I've asked people once or twice. They generally want to look cool, helping out. Especially when everyone is already watching with amazement. We still don't have a lot of kiters around here, so when people see me, they are blown away. I almost always kite alone because I only have time to kite during the weekdays when I leave work to kite. Luckily, the beach has much lighter crowds. My weekends when most other kiters are out, are consumed by wife and kids.

But a positive for your idea, a foil kite is a lot less intimidating than a LEI kite, once they grab a wingtip and it flags out. An LEI kite has so much windage that it easily surprise someone that doesn't know how to handle it.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:53 am

br44 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 am
I finally got a chance to test the self landing method that I had in mind for a while. The gear requirements are minimal. You need an anchor (in my case a bag filled with sand), a piece of rope or leash (not too short), and a carabiner. Steps:
1. Go to the anchor and clip the carabiner on a steering line.
2. Keep the kite low and walk back - until the carabiner reaches the bridle. Fly the kite so the steering line remains fairly straight.
3. Land by pulling the steering line, while letting the other lines go slack. The kite will land and stay flat on the ground without any drama. This works very well because there is simply no room for the kite to misbehave: the kite is 2-3m away from the anchor, as opposed to 20m+ away when you QR.
I really like this idea. I've used it twice in the past few days. Works great. I normally backstall my FS Soul from 12 o'clock to land in lighter winds, but I plan to keep a sandbag/rope/carabiner on the beach for use in higher winds. If nothing else, it gives me peace of mind. I'll feel more comfortable using my FS in higher or less predictable winds. Thanks for sharing this technique, br44. :thumb:

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:24 am

By the way. Pulling a steering line with your hands works well for smaller kites, such as my CA Waves. However for bigger kites with higher ARs I recommend adding OS handles to your bar, such as the SS rings below, which guarantee that enough back line will be available to allow the kite to lie flat. The last thing you want is a kite that starts to loop on the ground in higher winds because you should have pulled say 6m of line, but only managed 3m. With OS handles, you can also clip your leash there before QR.

There is also the variant with clipping the carabiner on the FLS front line, if you can reach it easily. (I can’t, as I maxed out my bar throw, so haven’t tried it yet.) You’ll need a longer rope, and you’ll be limited to the FLS line; though that might also work fine.
6ED5E7EA-1D9C-41D9-BED8-87E584A8B750.jpeg
8637862F-6C36-451D-9203-74EE4CA2E734.jpeg
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
cglazier (Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:27 am

Great stuff and nice looking bar. If the rear leaders are the double braid that I think they are the larks head will be quite springy. For a small ring I sow the 2 sides of the larks head together to stop the loop migrating off the ring when bouncing around slack. (Usually only a problem when new as the LH will set harder with use etc.) Could be overkill on my part but just thought it worth a mention.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm

Would love to see a video of br44's landing technique.

I may try it the next time I'm out on my foil kite in high winds and there is enough beach and no one around to land me.

br44
Frequent Poster

Postby br44 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Herman wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:27 am
Great stuff and nice looking bar. If the rear leaders are the double braid that I think they are the larks head will be quite springy. For a small ring I sow the 2 sides of the larks head together to stop the loop migrating off the ring when bouncing around slack. (Usually only a problem when new as the LH will set harder with use etc.) Could be overkill on my part but just thought it worth a mention.
The leaders are from a Switch bar and don’t budge. Thanks for the warning.

br44
Frequent Poster

Postby br44 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:49 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 pm
Would love to see a video of br44's landing technique.

I may try it the next time I'm out on my foil kite in high winds and there is enough beach and no one around to land me.
Don’t have a video but you can check the pictures.

Also, don’t try it for the first time in high winds with nobody around. Test it in moderate to light winds first.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
JakeFarley (Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”