br44
Medium Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Self launch and self land option

Postby br44 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:45 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 am
I thought about holding/walking up the lower back line (wearing sailing gloves which I used to always wear) to keep the kite coming down controlled. Not sure about holding both back lines, flying the kite, perhaps that might work.

I like BR44's landing technique, but it seems that you need more space than your line length (maybe 1-1/2 times) and with trees nearby to eat my kite I can't try it at my launch site.
It only takes 1 back line to fly a tethered kite: pull and push. Try it and you’ll see. I didn’t mean to suggest holding both back lines.

One potential issue with tethered is that you’re away from the bar (even if for just a short time) and can’t stop the kite from overflying if a gust comes through. Whereas with the carabiner method, you have the bar and can keep flying until you flag the kite.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post:
JakeFarley (Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: slingshot, flysurfer, switch, ocean rodeo

Postby papasmerf » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:19 pm

br44 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm
irwe wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:51 am
br44 interesting concept but for most of my self-landing spots I have trees nearby and limited beach space so I cannot walk on shore with the kite. The kite is landed while I am still in the water. I tried my land Kite Catcher this week and it worked flawlessly ( 8 m FireFly V2 14 kts)
When you walk to your anchor (which could be setup right by the water) the kite can be at 12. As you walk back however, you need to bring the kite low; then at landing you can be in the water. But if the trees are very close, then yes it sounds like you want to keep using the hook method.
wehn you say you can be in the water during landing,, i thought this involved pulling in back line on the caribiner and walk towards kite at the same time to flag it out fast?

br44
Medium Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:28 am

papasmerf wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:19 pm
br44 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 pm
irwe wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:51 am
br44 interesting concept but for most of my self-landing spots I have trees nearby and limited beach space so I cannot walk on shore with the kite. The kite is landed while I am still in the water. I tried my land Kite Catcher this week and it worked flawlessly ( 8 m FireFly V2 14 kts)
When you walk to your anchor (which could be setup right by the water) the kite can be at 12. As you walk back however, you need to bring the kite low; then at landing you can be in the water. But if the trees are very close, then yes it sounds like you want to keep using the hook method.
wehn you say you can be in the water during landing,, i thought this involved pulling in back line on the caribiner and walk towards kite at the same time to flag it out fast?
Right. I meant shallow water. You definitely want to be able to walk quickly at all times.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:28 am
I've thought of a tethered landing where you fly the kite fully depowered at 11 and hook the chicken loop into a carabiner attached to an anchor(screw anchor or sandbag). Check to see how long it takes for the kite to fall to 9 and determine if you can run fast enough to be there to catch the kite. Seems very sketchy though. Has anyone ever tried this method?
I tried this early in my career of using foil kites. It was a 9m hyperlink in fairly strong winds, about 15knots. A friend had recommended it.
So I have clean and clear beach, teather the cloop and unhook. Steer kite to 11 and then start kite on drop to beach. I run like hell towards kite, but 2/3 of the way there i see im not going fast enough. Im running as fast as I can. The kite hits the beach bounces and shoots off back to 12 and the other way at mach 1. It crashes in the sand dunes and grass that back the beach out of sight and collapses. Scary, I didn't kill anyone as it was cold and lonely day. Kite was ok.
Never tried that again..

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:43 pm

I like that carabiner and anchor idea. Clever and controlled. Plus the carabiner on leash with sand bag won't hurt any other kids, dogs, people that might stumble over it.

Return to “Foil Kites”