Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Line Check FS Soul?

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Could someone here please clarify line length check & adjustments for a new Flysurfer Soul 12m?
There has been a discussion on Facebook where a few have stated "Make certain your steering lines are 10cm shorter than your front lines"
This counters some youtube information, as well as other sites which have suggested always flying the Soul with 4 inches of front line de-power adjusted.
Which is right?
By default on my LEI kite it's obviously all line the same length.
New to Souls, New to Foils
Kip in Tacoma .

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Line Check FS Soul?

Postby TomW » Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 pm

I flew a friends Soul 12 that was new out of the bag, 2-3 sessions on it. with slingshot bar with equal lengths. The rear lines were 50mm too long. yea, it was rigged so a noob wouldn't oversheet it, but it was totally Slack in normal bar position. Steered like a 74 Volvo.
I kind of wonder WTH they are thinking. Setting up the kite so it flys right can't be difficult for them.
Ok everyone is going to say ' kite has to be worked in". But why not set it up so it flys right out of the box and then tell people to adjust it after its worked in.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 pm

My 12 Soul came with the mixer at B -1 cm, which makes rear lines 4cm longer. There was a statement from Flysurfer saying that the brake lines can be up to 4cm longer when the kite is new. I guess it's made to compensate for the initially expected shrinkage in B. I fly mine with equal lines and a 55cm bar, tho.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu May 30, 2019 8:48 pm

direnc wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 pm
My 12 Soul came with the mixer at B -1 cm, which makes rear lines 4cm longer. There was a statement from Flysurfer saying that the brake lines can be up to 4cm longer when the kite is new. I guess it's made to compensate for the initially expected shrinkage in B. I fly mine with equal lines and a 55cm bar, tho.
I just purchased a new Ozone 55cm, 17m lines, Foil Race bar specific for this 12m Soul. After 12 years of LEI kite I just assumed we always check all lines for equal length.

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu May 30, 2019 11:31 pm

I've experienced 3 Souls out of the bag now and each one adjusted about 4" shorter on the steering lines by adding an additional knot under the floaters. Multiple sessions in and it is still performing well, not back stalling more than it should.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 pm
But why not set it up so it flys right out of the box and then tell people to adjust it after its worked in.
This would lead to a kite which has a lot of back stall after some sessions. Now kite has a some slack in the steering at first but after couple of sessions it will be more as it is meant to be.

It is difficult to make a foil kite with "correct" adjustments from the beginning because first sessions load and tighten kite bridle, mixer and flying lines in a certain manner which is not similar in different parts of the kite. FS tries to counter this development in advance. Only way to work in a foil kite is to use it - it is not possible that a manufacturer could do it for every kite they sell.
PurdyKiter wrote: After 12 years of LEI kite I just assumed we always check all lines for equal length.
No reason to change that. If you have to make some adjustments for front line/back line lengths do it in the kite, not in the flying lines.
direnc wrote: My 12 Soul came with the mixer at B -1 cm, which makes rear lines 4cm longer.
No, that doesn't mean that. 4cm longer rear lines would affect also 1:2 to C line row and directly to brakes. Front line row part of the mixer and the bridle give in during the first sessions because they bear most of the load. Also front lines of the flying lines can stretch (or return to original lengths) more than back lines do.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 am

Full power; all lines equal.
I would not adice 10cm shorter backlines… stupid FB.. "Fake news" :lol:
Check the lines regularly in the begining, lines have to setlle in. Under the floaters you can adjust the lengths with the knots. (which you must replace to your setting)

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri May 31, 2019 2:24 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 pm
PurdyKiter wrote: After 12 years of LEI kite I just assumed we always check all lines for equal length.
No reason to change that. If you have to make some adjustments for front line/back line lengths do it in the kite, not in the flying lines.
I thought about it since I use the bar that does not give you an option to adjust under the floaties...
The bridle lines on the Souls are pretty thin.. making extra knots on them seem like a bad idea, imho as they will weaken that thin line even more..

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Fri May 31, 2019 5:37 pm

deniska wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:24 pm
kitexpert wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 pm
I thought about it since I use the bar that does not give you an option to adjust under the floaties...
The bridle lines on the Souls are pretty thin.. making extra knots on them seem like a bad idea, imho as they will weaken that thin line even more..
Just use pigtails on the Center Lines? :)

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri May 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Thank You

Return to “Foil Kites”